Railroad Forums 

• Question about EWR monorail train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1268587  by carajul

Something that I've pondered but that no one can answer, not even the folks at the Port Auth.

Why in the hell do the monorails, that are UN-manned and operate by computer, have windshield wipers (with rubber blades) on the large windows at each end of the train? The wipers are real, they even look like they connect to something under the train (a motor?) but they do not work. In fact there is no need for them.

And on that question why do the ends of the train have headlights and parking/marker lights like a car... they don't work either! Never illuminated. Did they just want the 'look' of a real working motorman box???
 #1268616  by chuchubob

carajul wrote:...
And on that question why do the ends of the train have headlights and parking/marker lights like a car... they don't work either! Never illuminated. Did they just want the 'look' of a real working motorman box???
Never illuminated ???
 #1268681  by Ken W2KB

It is my recollection that the monorail trains are capable of manual operation by controls located beneath an access panel. The purpose is to be able to move trains to discharge passengers or even maintain service in the event of a computer control system failure. The lights and wipers are safety appliances for manual operation.
 #1268922  by carajul

I specifically meant the parking lights are never illuminated.

It would make sense to have a wiper if the train was operated manually in the event of a computer malfunction but as you can clearly see by the glass those wipers have never moved.