Railroad Forums 

• LV Potters....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1408368  by davebdawg

I got some info on the happy hornblower crossing @ potter, there seems to be a problem with the sensors in the road that cannot detect if there is a vehicle fouling the crossing and it is up for bid by Edison to be repaired. The bid is due Nov. 15th, but what is the usual time after a bid is awarded that the work should commence?

http://www.newjerseybids.com/government ... sings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And why does it seem like only the westbounder trains need to horn the crossing? As if there is a problem with the street sensors that would be for any direction train?

As it's OK for me since the westbounders are more in line with my house and they come in loud and clear, my wakeup alarm!!!!

:wink:
 #1408682  by BigDell

I have been VERY much enjoying the variety of horns lately.... So if the bid is due this week that means it'll be like the old days for quite some time to come. With the clear, cold air last night the trains going through in the wee hours were extraordinarily loud and clear. I loved it, the rumble is great, the horns ... nostalgic. I did see some hy-railers going through there this past week, as well.
Curious to see how this all plays out, time-wise.
 #1408713  by davebdawg

Yes Big Dell They are loud and clear here too, as I am about a mile from there, was out at potter today and the eastbounders are horning as well, and I noticed a short yellow sign with an A on it east just past the crossing Inman ave.
Any idea on what the sign means?

I will have to try and find out whats the usual time once a bid is awarded the work will start for this type of work to be done.
:-D
 #1418426  by BigDell

Some good action! I miss those horns now.
Well, the signs were up about repairs in mid-December so I guess they finally got it done. I was in Norway from Christmas until last week so coming home it's all very quiet now. Heard one errant horn over the weekend but otherwise just the normal late-night rumble...
Next warm (above 40F degrees) day I'm going to park myself out by Oak Ridge Park along the mainline and catch the action.