Railroad Forums 

• Carteret Derailment

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1233667  by TAMR213

WABC-TV and NJ.com both reporting that a derailment has occurred in Carteret, pretty much directly under Exit 12 of the Turnpike. Numerous FD's on scene or responding - including at least Carteret, multiple Woodbridge departments, Old Bridge, Piscataway River Road, and Middlesex County HAZMAT. Pictures on channel 7 show two tank cars, one completely tipped over and the other on its side, and the train being led by two 6-axle CSX units. Don't really have any details past that. Reported that the train was making a reverse move, but we all know how accurate the media can be (and no doubt this is getting more play due to the recent Metro-North incident). Here is the report on NJ.com.

Can anyone provide further details? Hopefully everything works out for the best.
 #1233675  by pumpers

I hope everyone is OK. And that they don't have to shutdown the NJTP due to some hazmat condition. That would be the mother of all NJ traffic jams (and political repercussions)! JS
 #1233701  by OCtrainguy

I heard about this both on Channel 5 (shortly after an update on the Metro North derailment) as well as on NJ 101.5 while heading to work. The information they stated was minimal, but that two cars derailed, one was tilted and the other tipped over, but none were compromised.
 #1233846  by pumpers

The news reports say they actually did close the northbound truck lanes of the turnpike for a while, but thank goodness the other lanes were open. They also say that while on a reverse move, the train "struck an abutment and derailed". Seems to me it should be the other way around. JS
 #1234124  by kilroy

I noticed that too Pumpers. Must be the same reporter who said the North Korean prison was beating prisioners to death with hammers and making them dig their own graves. Order does matter sometimes.