Railroad Forums 

• RVR - Roselle

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1193744  by Jtgshu

NYSW2300 wrote:I hear from my sources that the Bayway Oil trains might run via the RVL at Bound Brook to the Garwood Ind track. At the switch for the SIRT, the power will cut away and run via a new switch installed near CP-Aldene on the east end on the Ind track to Oak Island for servicing. An unknown operator, I'm hearing Railserve will get the contract, will come out and get the train and pull it into the refinery. The outbound trains will come north on the coast out of the refinery to keep thngs flowing.
Well thats interesting......the Garwood was just (they are still doing some work actually) rebuilt by NJT, and a new switch was cut in to track 2 just east of Aldene (right at the automatic just before Aldene), and its after (east) the switch for the SIRT. NJT is going to use that area to store cars in the event of another storm like Sandy. But the tracks aren't going to be used all the time......hmmmmmmmm
 #1193833  by ccutler

I hope they do some heavy upgrading of that industrial track, it was in very bad shape with embankment erosion, old ties, little ballast. To see unit oil trains going on that track without upgrades would be a little ugly. And on the Bound Brook end the oil trains would be going up a short but steep grade, would be interesting to watch.
 #1193883  by OportRailfan

crnrailalcrn wrote:Maybe they're upgrading the tracks so they can use them for higher ground to store locomotives and cars if we get another bad storm where there's a storm surge. They won't flood on those tracks
*Ding ding ding* We have a winner.

See the Hurricane Sandy thread.
 #1194010  by kilroy

The Garwood Siding was OOS for NJT because it couldn't support a set of multilevels without spreading the rails so a loaded oil train is definately out.

Do any of our NJT members know to what class of track the siding will be upgraded to?
 #1196939  by crnrailalcrn

Noticed this afternoon NJ Transit has cars stored on the 3 rail track that was refurbished behind home depot in Garwood.
 #1197214  by Ken W2KB

crnrailalcrn wrote:Noticed this afternoon NJ Transit has cars stored on the 3 rail track that was refurbished behind home depot in Garwood.
Several single level cars and three locomotives there. Went by too fact to note the unit numbers. Wonder if they are being stored or were sold and waiting to be picked up for delivery elsewhere? Is the track there an approved interchange point?
 #1197222  by Jtgshu

3 locos (including a still in AMT paint 4117) I believe 8 Comet 2/4s and 8 MUs. I think the cars and MUs are flood damaged and awaiting repair or retirement, and it looks like they are just making room at the MMC by dragging the cars and leaving them out there. I have the car numbers written down somewhere....I dunno about the locos, they might have just been used to move them out there and haven't been picked up yet.

Rumor going around is that they are going to build a yard (more storage tracks) where they cleared in Cranford as a location to evacuate the MMC to should another storm like Sandy come down the pike.....i don't know for sure tho.
 #1197234  by BigDell

That is a GREAT rumor, if true. How nice it'd be to see NJT equipment parked in Cranford... almost worth having another hurricane. It's a great space, either way. NJT should use it. I always thought the M&E or CSX would find some use for it, but........
 #1197540  by Ken W2KB

5733 was slowing to stop at Garwood so a couple minutes ago I was able to see indeed there are 16 cars plus 4117 4221 4106. The latter back on CNJ rails. :-)