Railroad Forums 

• Raritan Central Railway Units to be Scrapped

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1175480  by gregorygrice

Went to pay Raritan Central a visit this past Wednesday and to my surprise, they were preparing their locos for scrap! More details (I didn't feel like typing so this is just copied from my youtube video):

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KumLR9q4ik
VIDEO of the locos replacing the units until their payed units arrive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBvhGbuBEJI

Both of Raritan Central Railway's B23-7's and all other locos, except for GP-9 #1728 (will be the last) are all set to go soon. These units performed work on the Raritan Central Railway in Edison, New Jersey for many years and their time has now come. The B23-7's are first to go and today, have had their traction motors swapped for dummy axles by Joe Manzi & Sons Crane Rental, as seen in this photo. Traction motors on the 2 B units and other locos messed up by Hurricane Sandy. RC didn't feel like fixing them (damage was quite minor according to the mechanic of the company taking them out) so they sold them. Each traction motor has already been sold for about $15,000 each. Thats $60,000 per unit plus the money they will receive from the scrap metal. The money will be used for "new" locomotives. According to the supervisor/ yard master, they are aiming for GP15's or 38's. At this time, two LETX SW15's (#1704 & #1100) are providing power for the railroad for now until their units arrive. The B23-7's already have dummy trucks now for shipment via CSX to Ohio for scrapping. No word on the exact date for shipment, but should be within the next month or so from now.
 #1175508  by RailsEast

Nice video, thanks for the report; as an L&N/SCL/SOU fan, I'm sorry to see the B23's go, but nothing is forever. It will be interesting to see what power is brought in.....
 #1175536  by gregorygrice

RailsEast wrote:Nice video, thanks for the report; as an L&N/SCL/SOU fan, I'm sorry to see the B23's go, but nothing is forever. It will be interesting to see what power is brought in.....
Thanks. They said they wanted either 15's or 38's. Question is from where/who. If LTEX has some they may buy from them, since they are already leasing from them. Only time will tell.
 #1175929  by TAMR213

Interesting, thanks for the report and videos. Sad to see the units go, especially loved the B23-7's when they still wore that worn out Family Lines paint (not particularly a fan of the RCRY's dip green, but I digress). Also sad to see GP10 7579 go as it dates to 1957 and is PRR heritage, in addition GP9 1728 also dates to 1957 and is of B&M heritage. I also have fond memories of a cab ride I was treated to a few years back in GP9 7563 (also blt. 1957, NYC heritage). I could go on... Glad I have some shots of the fleet myself, but wish I got over to Raritan Center more recently to document them. It always seemed to me like the RCRY had a bit of a motive power surplus, but maybe thats just me, and of course its better to have too much power then not enough. AFAIK the SW1500's have been operating on the railroad since at least November 2011.

Will be interesting to see what shows up on the property to replace the units, and of course these new arrivals will provide new railfanning opportunities.
 #1176244  by gregorygrice

NJTArrow2 wrote:They're not going to be scrapped anymore (originally they where) a knew deal was made for them to go to LTEX, heard from a friend who works there.
Makes more sense. I find it ironic how they are still going to Ohio. Thanks for the heads up I'll change my description.
 #1176407  by gregorygrice

BigDell wrote:Confused - they will go to LTEX sans traction motors? All the older units going there?
The traction motors where all taken out and already sold. The units all still have running engines so it it up to LETX as to what they want to do with them, but thats where they are going. CSX required the new trucks for transport to Ohio.