Railroad Forums 

• Which lift bridges are still used on the Chemical Coast??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1165011  by bbobes327

I know that there are a few lift bridges on the route. One is by CP Ralph over the Elizabeth River. One is by CP Karen over the Rahway River, and another one is by BARB over what I think is the Woodbridge River. Are any of these still operated???
 #1165065  by TAMR213

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The southernmost bridge is the Spring Creek in Sewaren and (likely) weld shut since the CR 611 bridge downstream blocks all navigation.
Just a note: the bridge in Sewaren is over the Woodbridge River. Spring Creek flows into the Woodbridge River near Cutters Dock Road (between the NJCL and Chemical Coast, north of WOOD).

As stated above, it is most likely welded shut. In addition, I have never personally seen the bridge over the Rahway River open, but there is a small Marina for personal boats in Rahway near the corner of Route 1 and East Milton Ave, and the view of it on Google Street View (from September 2009) shows it open.

A related question: could anyone list the names of interlockings/control points (and their former corresponding names) on the PRS and CC since the renaming? Thanks in advance.
 #1165109  by Erie Limited

TAMR213 wrote: A related question: could anyone list the names of interlockings/control points (and their former corresponding names) on the PRS and CC since the renaming? Thanks in advance.
From my own observation (feel free to make corrections)...

There are 3 control points on the Port Reading Secondary:
CP Bound Brook (no change)
CP Donald (new...near Parsonage Rd in Iselin)
CP Ron (former CP PD)

On the Chemical Coast:
CP Fran (former CP PN)
CP Karen (former CP RI, just north of Bayway)
CP Ralph (former CP RH, Rahway River bridge)
CP Ron (noted above)

Also, on the Lehigh Line, CP NK (formerly LV's NK Tower) is now CP Newark.

Rob
 #1165110  by bigblue5277

the Rahway River Drawbridge is certainly operational. In the summer months it is left open and closes when trains arrive. During the rest of the year it is kept closed and only opens upon request, I think. There is an operation booth at the southeast end of the bridge, however, it is controlled remotely. Whether open or closed when trains arrive they have to stop and wait for approval to cross. When the bridge is closing it has a sensor underneath that will trigger the closing to stop if it senses something underneath such as a boat. One summer morning last year the bridge was open for a while until a CSX ethanol train came from the north. It waited several hundred feet to the north of the river. It took about 10 minutes for the bridge to close and for the train to get approval to continue south. Just before the train arrived a small watercraft came in from the Arthur Kill. He passed under the open bridge, then abruptly turned around between the drawbridge and turnpike, and crossed back under to head back out toward the Arthur Kill. I figured maybe he got word on the radio that the bridge was going to be closed.
 #1165113  by R36 Combine Coach

NJDOT maps label the river at the southermost bridge as Woodbridge Creek, as well as the U.S. Coast Guard bridge schedule (open on signal with four hour notice).

Rahway River bridge schedule

The Elizabeth River bridge is stated as "need not open" (although referred to as NJ Transit Rail Operations).

The marina off U.S. Route 1-9 is a private facility (Rahway Motor Boat Club).
 #1165324  by BigDell

I was shocked to read (and then see on google satellite) that there was a marina in Rahway just off Rt 1! In my life I would have NEVER imagined that. I drive the NJT quite a bit and I do recall seeing one of the bridges in the up position on several occasions. I'll pay more attention now.