Railroad Forums 

• RVRR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#346  by wis bang

This week I noticed construction workers elevating the manholes on Liberty in preperation to re-pave the street. Will this tie-in with the rebuild of the crossing?

#1085  by BigDell

Where are we with all of this construction? Are there any "finished" sections? Can they actually run any trains anywhere?

BigDell

:-o
 #1249  by danb

In case no one has noticed, north of Kenilworth there are ties laid out in the right pattern, except, surprise, there are no rails on them!

And yes, I think they can run trains just south of Ken. Blvd; but they dont.
Because...It's not attached to anything!!!

#1261  by rvrrhs

They could probably "run trains" on quite a bit of the line, except they would have to be older, lighter trains that would not be too heavy for the ancient rails that are still there. Then there's the matter of missing bridges, encroachment, paved-over crossings, etc.

#1448  by BigDell

>>Then there's the matter of missing bridges, encroachment, paved-over crossings, etc.

Okay, well thats kind of my point... I don't really get to that area too often, so I'm gleaming my RVRR info from what I read here. I'm trying to ascertain an overall scope of where the project is at this point. How far along is it? How much has been done? How much needs to be done in order to actually run a train for some "real purpose"?

Just a nice, succinct overview of the whole deal with a "where it stands today" summary. Hmmm.... It'd actually be a nice thing to see on the RVRR webpage!
;-)

BigDell

#2146  by rvrrhs

BigDell:
Which "RVRR homepage" are you referring to? The section of the Morristown & Erie Web site (http://www.merail.com/rahway_valley_rr.htm)? Or the RVRR fan site run by Steve Lynch (http://www.trainsarefun.com/rvrr/rvrr.htm)? Presently the RVRRHS Web site (http://home.comcast.net/~rvrrhs/)only says "Welcome, to your personal web page," as I'm having some technical difficulties trying to get anything posted on comcast.net.
In the meantime (and perhaps no matter what), Railroad.net is probably the best place for postings of progress reports.

#2185  by njt4172

Since were on the topic has M&E done any work in Springfield by the old station that is depicted in your picture? I'm assuming the line in this area will need everything from ballast to rails to ties....etc, etc?

#2215  by rbenko

As for the ties laid out just north of Kenilworth Blvd:

Yes, the ties are down - many of them even have tie plates spiked in them, BUT, they are actually sitting on TOP of the old track. I believe they are just using this area to prepare the ties with tie plates for future installation along the line.

The only place I've seen where the ROW is prepared for new ballast/ties/rail is the short section just north of Liberty - for about 300 yards, the ROW has been cleared of all old track debris and ballast, and levelled. It stops at the new culvert that was put in this winter to repair a washout - north of there, the old tracks are still in.

#2671  by wis bang

They removed the rails between Liberty & the businesses along Rt 22 and the ROW is cleaned of ties but not excavated like it is on the other side of Liberty. some of that excavation was for fill at the washout..

The rails are still in the Boulevard but they were removed north to just past the Synray plant on Michigan Ave. Once the ROW hets paralell to Michigan Ave. the old rails continue to Rt 22.

#2720  by rvrrhs

njnt4172 wrote:
Since were on the topic has M&E done any work in Springfield by the old station that is depicted in your picture? I'm assuming the line in this area will need everything from ballast to rails to ties....etc, etc?
It doesn't look like anything has been done west of the Rahway River bridge. Around the Springfield station, the track is either gone or buried under the surrounding parking lot. Across Mountain Ave., between the post office and the new fire station, the track is cleared (due to the fire dept. construction), but it's still the old rails that are too light for modern trains. And yes, I believe all the tracks in Springfield (and Summit) will need to be completely replaced down to the ballast.

Here's a curious thing: at the Baltusrol Way crossing (which I pass weekly when visiting my mother in Troy Village), there's a small patch of land between Troy Drive and Baltsurol Way on which there was a "for sale" sign for several weeks. The last time I saw the sign, there was a big "SOLD" banner on it. I wonder what the hell could be built there (other than a cottage or a business the size of the Springfield station). And I hope the buyer is a railfan, because if it's a NIMBY, they're in for one heck of a surprise!

#4036  by CGRLCDR

A map that I keep in my pickup truck shows the RVRR connecting with the Lehigh Valley line between Roselle Station and Cranford. However, I drove that area earlier today and couldn't see where they interconnect. I found what appears to be an abandoned branch just west of Roselle Station that is seriously encroached and then I found an abandoned siding just before the entrance to GSP North in Cranford coming off the LVL , but I don't think that either one of those were the RVRR.

Can someone explain to me where those lines will connect?

#4182  by Ken W2KB

The ramp from the yard that was after the swimming pool dealer across from the Roselle station went up to the LV to connect a little before the bridge over the CNJ mainline. The switch was gone for a long time, but the yard tracks by the pool supply dealer and the actual track on the ramp up were there until about 2 years ago.

#4184  by BigDell

Ken, thanks for that info -- I was wondering same thing recently as I was trying to see "what all is going on"...

Anyone know if there is a "plan" out there as to how they are going to do this, what they are going to do, what the business plan is, what the operations plan is, etc? Did M&E publish anything? Just wondering what the rhyme and reason is here and what the actual "plan of operation" is...
I don't mean just whats in the paper - I was wondering about anything more specific....
If this was covered in a much earlier posting (back in the old forum) my apologies....
BigDell

#4228  by NJTRailfan

On Firday while in Dover I was standing on Warren St just across from the railroad crossing and what do I hear? The 18 blowing it's horn.

Not one but the new Alco was just behind the 18. It was hauling a caboose followed by 9 or 10 tank cars and from what I heard they were hauling propane.

Now if this is what the Nimbys are afriad off then they need to get life or get off the stuff they're smoking. M&E will probably do no more then 3 or 4 days a week twice each trip with a 10 or 12 car train max.

NS does 2 locals a day that are between 20-30 cars long. I wish we in Dover had more of that. The greates thing is both trains had cabooses. That's soemthing you never see esp when the NS local has a red Conrail Caboose on the end.

#4462  by msernak

Here is a silly question, but weren't these lines abandoned for lack of customers? Since all of this effort is being used to reconstruct, I am sure there are new customers. Does anyone know which customers these lines will serve?