Railroad Forums 

• Some Questions about the L.L., Chemical Coast, and P.R.S.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1158069  by bbobes327

Hi, this is my first post here and i was hoping if someone could help me.

I am in the extremely early stages of planning an N-Scale model railroad using the Lehigh Line, Port Reading Secondary, Chemical Coast and most of the yards used in the area.

Since I want to make it present day, I want to do my homework and find out the the current junction names, signal locations, mileposts, and industries along the routes.

I have been looking and looking for this information but with no luck. Ive found the Conrail timetables from 1999 but all 3 lines have changed significantly since then

Can anybody give me a list of control points (with mileposts), sidings (with length and mileposts), signal locations (with milepost), industries (with milepost), yards, track speeds and any other useful information along the Lehigh Line, Chemical Coast Secondary, and Port Reading Secondary?

For the Lehigh Line, I'm mainly looking for this information WEST of CP Aldene and EAST of Port Reading Junction as well as the Oak Island Yard area from when the Lehigh Line goes over the NEC and when the line goes over the big lift bridge just past the yard.

For the Chemical Coast im looking for information the entire length of the route.

For the Port Reading Secondary, im mainly looking for info from Bound Brook, till about Metuchen (where it ducks under the NEC), and from the Railroad Crossing by Woodbridge High School to CP PD (i think thats what its called.)

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Brian
 #1158495  by RailsEast

Sheesh, not asking for much, are you, Brian? :-)
But seriously, I've got some hand-drawn track maps (not drawn by me, but very nicely done by a third party for Conrail at the time) of the Shared Assets territory in 1999. They show all MPs & interlockings, and most signals and many industries as well. If you would like this to get you started, shoot me a pm with your email address, and I'll scan them & get them to you.

Chris
 #1159048  by RailsEast

Keeping in mind that the only constant in life is change, you may have to get out there to see exactly what is different. I can guide you as to new rr happenings, but I do not live in the immediate area to know what industries are still active customers. These maps do have limited side streets included, so that will help very much if you want to actually visit several locations.
Enjoy the map of Oak Island Yard; now THAT would be impressive on your layout (if you had the time and/or money to do it right!).....

Chris
 #1159054  by bbobes327

RailsEast wrote:Keeping in mind that the only constant in life is change, you may have to get out there to see exactly what is different. I can guide you as to new rr happenings, but I do not live in the immediate area to know what industries are still active customers. These maps do have limited side streets included, so that will help very much if you want to actually visit several locations.
Enjoy the map of Oak Island Yard; now THAT would be impressive on your layout (if you had the time and/or money to do it right!).....

Chris

I definitely want to include as much of the yard as possible with the space provided! Just have to think if I want to actually use a hump yard or manually switch it too!

Thanks for your help Chris!
 #1161952  by bbobes327

Cool thanks for the help folks!

Just read over NJ's state rail plan and saw some interesting things.

On the NS Lehigh Line, is the Royce Runner going to be turned into a second main??

and is the Chemical Coast going to get upgraded the way the Port Reading Secondary did?
why don't they just upgrade and double track the line from PD all the way to PN? I know some of the line is already double tracked for a few miles south of PN to around E-Rail. with how many trains get stuck sitting, why not just double track it?