Railroad Forums 

• Current railfan attitude in Bound Brook?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1143688  by TAMR213

Plate C wrote:I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and offer a perspective here. To be clear, I am not talking wrong/right, nor am I advocating for anyone to trespass or otherwise break the law. I've done some extensive railfanning at points around the country and have found that the culture of any railfan area is always defined by the railroad operating at a given location, the people who live around that location, and the railfans that gather there. There are locations where the general public cuts through the yard or down the ROW and the railroad doesn't say anything. At others, RR PD is rolling up just as soon as your foot crosses the line. I've been to some locations in some bad areas where the crew appeared relieved to see a railfan instead of the neighborhood thugs in their area. Point is, when the railroad allows people from the neighborhood onto their property, it gives the appearance of this being acceptable behavior for others to do too, and that's usually what happens.

Over the past year at Bound Brook, I've seen numerous instances of bums, families, etc., crossing the tracks to get from point A to point B. Many others come down the ROW and private property between the freight and NJT lines. Granted I've never seen this occur as a train is coming on, but I've never seen any of these neighborhood locals stopped, harrassed, etc., and this gives the appearance that this is acceptable behavior there. The one exception I saw, I was sitting on the edge of the platform with my feet in the grass when a cop came up and asked if I had seen a guy wandering around the tracks- I assume CSX or NS called him in. It was obvious I was there railfanning, told the cop I hadn't seen the guy, and the cop left. Afterward, I did see the guy and realized it was a homeless guy picking around the tracks further up the line, and his hanging around there acting strangely is likely what got him called in.

For what it's worth, the first railfan that I saw off the platform at BB was an adult, and I've seen several that have gone over to the stack of ties or down the ROW between freight and NJT lines for a shot, and that is RR property. I've seen some do more than that but I'll leave that out. I've also heard some of the younger kids comment against crossing tracks, being close to the ROW, etc., so it's unfair to blame them as the "problem" if there is one. I have strayed from that platform before, waved to the crew as I took my shot, and got the wave back, which says to me that they're ok with where I'm standing. In the end, use common sense and demonstrate that you have basic knowledge of railroad safety and I don't think you'll be bothered.

Finally, for the people advocating to yell at the kids or call the PD, I disagree with both. Kids, much less anyone else, are not going to respond to you yelling at them, and may very well give you more than you bargained for in return. What you'll end up with is an uncomfortable situation of disgruntled people hanging around each other waiting for trains. Also along these lines, if you're not going to yell at the countless neighborhood people walking around off the platform (and I'm quite sure most reading this are not going to step up to that hulking homeless guy crossing over to tell him off) then you shouldn't say anything at all- be consistent.
Try to appreciate these younger kids, the railroad is forgotten and not respected or appreciated by the general public, so when a younger generation takes an interest we should embrace this. These kids, like everyone else, are trying to get that perfect shot. Trains Magazine does not run crappy photos shot into the sun, and the kids are modeling what they see in mags, online, etc.
As for the cops, calling the PD only draws attention from the local authorities to the railfans being there and invites harrassment and unwanted attention. If the RR is ok with it, it's their property and their call to make unless you're witnessing something suspicious or unusual. Again, I believe that people, regardless of age, exercising common sense and safety makes the difference.
+1
Hard to argue with this.
 #1143752  by ApproachMedium

I can appreciate younger kids getting in to the hobby, and people of younger generations in general. They just need to show some more respect for the railroad frankly, thats all I have to say.
 #1143754  by Don31

ApproachMedium wrote:They just need to show some more respect for the railroad frankly, thats all I have to say.
Agreed. One must respect something that can kill you in a heartbeat.....
 #1143835  by NYSW3022

Plate C wrote: Try to appreciate these younger kids, the railroad is forgotten and not respected or appreciated by the general public, so when a younger generation takes an interest we should embrace this. These kids, like everyone else, are trying to get that perfect shot. Trains Magazine does not run crappy photos shot into the sun, and the kids are modeling what they see in mags, online, etc.
As for the cops, calling the PD only draws attention from the local authorities to the railfans being there and invites harrassment and unwanted attention. If the RR is ok with it, it's their property and their call to make unless you're witnessing something suspicious or unusual. Again, I believe that people, regardless of age, exercising common sense and safety makes the difference.
I'm not going to argue with the rest of your points. Too much to go over and I can't necessarily disagree with it. However this, I can find fault with.

Personally, I don't care if the general public doesn't remember or appreciate trains. Railroads are an entity that can survive with out fans or appreciation from the public. Also, I don't care if railfanning dies as a hobby due to a new generation not being introduced to it. Raifanning isn't dependent on a large population base. It's totally an individual hobby that can at times be enjoyed in groups. Giving these spoiled brats free reign to do whatever they want simply to encourage their interest in a hobby is not an excuse.
 #1176893  by ucvgabe

Well, it seems there is a lot of people assuming things here and not hearing it from one of the people first-hand, so here we go for all of you closed-minded folks.

First of all, the whole railroad transmitting thing is a huge load. We have two-way radios, but we don't use them on the railroads. It is specifically a rule among us that if you have a two-way radio, that the railroads have disabled Tx whenever possible. There has never been a kid at Bound Brook to transmit on a railroad frequency, and if anyone here has actually seen us transmitting KNOWING that it was a railroad frequency, it sure as hell wasn't one of us and I suggest you don't assume.

Second of all, I will not say we don't trespass, but I will say that I do not know ONE railfan that hasn't trespassed before. I don't care where, when, or with who - EVERYONE has stepped on property that they shouldn't have stepped on to get a better shot of a train before. Do not point fingers at us only, because I know everyone here has done it at least once in their years of railfanning.

We don't encourage trespassing or vandalism of any kind. If you would pay attention instead of being blind and closed-minded, you'd notice that many of the Bound Brook regulars are involved in public safety themselves . I suggest one day, you ask a railfan [no, not yell, ask - that's how you gain enemies is by yelling] next time to explain themselves kindly before you go off talking negatively on the internet. We encourage everyone and anyone to join what might be the busiest freight spot in New Jersey to see what it's really like, rather than taking it from a bunch of people on a random forum behind a computer screen.
 #1176895  by ucvgabe

wborys wrote:Gentlemen hi, I'm a relatively new member to the forums, asking your opionion.

I see in the archives there had been a hot-n-cold attitude of the Bound Brook police to rail fans
at the Bound Brook station. Anyone have a reading on what the situation is AT PRESENT TIME
(Jan, 2013)? I'm thinking of stopping there for a few pictures of the freight line,
but wonder what kind of greeting I would get from the locals.

Any advice, in terms of permits, ids, etc to get my ducks in line before I go?

thanx.
To this, because I'm not sure if you already gave it a shot or not - the railroad and local PD both appreciate our presence and have no problems. They expect us to be there and greet us with a hello when they patrol, nothing more. Maybe they'll ask what we're doing, but they don't make us leave or ask for our information or anything like that. Crews don't call us in, MOW crews even give a toot. Don't listen to what these obviously mentally blind forumhawks say, come and give it a try on a Saturday, and if you don't want to come back you don't have to, but at least make it so that you're able to say you gave it a shot. It is always great being able to expand your list of railfan spots that you've been to. Happy fanning!
 #1176923  by Steve F45

ucvgabe wrote:Well, it seems there is a lot of people assuming things here and not hearing it from one of the people first-hand, so here we go for all of you closed-minded folks.

First of all, the whole railroad transmitting thing is a huge load. We have two-way radios, but we don't use them on the railroads. It is specifically a rule among us that if you have a two-way radio, that the railroads have disabled Tx whenever possible. There has never been a kid at Bound Brook to transmit on a railroad frequency, and if anyone here has actually seen us transmitting KNOWING that it was a railroad frequency, it sure as hell wasn't one of us and I suggest you don't assume.

Second of all, I will not say we don't trespass, but I will say that I do not know ONE railfan that hasn't trespassed before. I don't care where, when, or with who - EVERYONE has stepped on property that they shouldn't have stepped on to get a better shot of a train before. Do not point fingers at us only, because I know everyone here has done it at least once in their years of railfanning.

We don't encourage trespassing or vandalism of any kind. If you would pay attention instead of being blind and closed-minded, you'd notice that many of the Bound Brook regulars are involved in public safety themselves . I suggest one day, you ask a railfan [no, not yell, ask - that's how you gain enemies is by yelling] next time to explain themselves kindly before you go off talking negatively on the internet. We encourage everyone and anyone to join what might be the busiest freight spot in New Jersey to see what it's really like, rather than taking it from a bunch of people on a random forum behind a computer screen.

Im sure plenty of people have tresspassed to a minor point, but when kids are filiming themselves jump off the platform at bound brook down to the lehigh line and run across both mains to get to the port reading junction just to "get good light" as it was put in one video, i'll call them out. Cause there complete disregard to the law affect's not only them but myself if I ever go back there. All it takes is one person to get hurt or worse, killed, and the railroad police and local police will come swoopping in.
 #1176924  by ApproachMedium

Steve F45 wrote:
ucvgabe wrote:Well, it seems there is a lot of people assuming things here and not hearing it from one of the people first-hand, so here we go for all of you closed-minded folks.

Im sure plenty of people have tresspassed to a minor point, but when kids are filiming themselves jump off the platform at bound brook down to the lehigh line and run across both mains to get to the port reading junction just to "get good light" as it was put in one video, i'll call them out. Cause there complete disregard to the law affect's not only them but myself if I ever go back there. All it takes is one person to get hurt or worse, killed, and the railroad police and local police will come swoopping in.

I agree, while some of the stuff I have seen may not have been at bound brook, i have seen some young railfans in general do stupid stuff both in video and photo, and in person. Its why I dont even bother hanging out where everyone else does anymore to avoid being associated with people. Yes there are plenty of younger guys now who are being good but all it takes is them one or two bad eggs on one day when your not there to spoil it for the rest of us.
 #1177013  by ucvgabe

ApproachMedium wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:

I agree, while some of the stuff I have seen may not have been at bound brook, i have seen some young railfans in general do stupid stuff both in video and photo, and in person. Its why I dont even bother hanging out where everyone else does anymore to avoid being associated with people. Yes there are plenty of younger guys now who are being good but all it takes is them one or two bad eggs on one day when your not there to spoil it for the rest of us.

I'm almost certain you're talking about the two kids - one of them is too influenced and was a follower, but the other was a kid named Alex, and believe me when I say NO BODY likes him whatsoever and he is NOT one of us.
 #1177035  by ccutler

I've stopped by Bound Brook station many times on my bike rides. I don't know the railfans there but what I have seen is an orderly and patient bunch who have always been friendly. The very few times I've seen them off the platforms it is always in a sensible and safe area close to the platform.

Once upon a time it was common to ride a bike without a helmet, people were careful, and it was a lot more fun.