Railroad Forums 

• Current railfan attitude in Bound Brook?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1141727  by wborys

Gentlemen hi, I'm a relatively new member to the forums, asking your opionion.

I see in the archives there had been a hot-n-cold attitude of the Bound Brook police to rail fans
at the Bound Brook station. Anyone have a reading on what the situation is AT PRESENT TIME
(Jan, 2013)? I'm thinking of stopping there for a few pictures of the freight line,
but wonder what kind of greeting I would get from the locals.

Any advice, in terms of permits, ids, etc to get my ducks in line before I go?

thanx.
 #1142042  by Don31

As long as you stay on the platform you are on public property and aren't doing anything illegal.
 #1142053  by Ken W2KB

As Don indicated, stay on the NJT platform in a location that does not obstruct any NJT passengers. The configuration is such that remaining clear is easy. NJT does not issue photo permits except for commercial photography, and those I understand are very costly. Up until late fall when my weekday train home from work each weekday passed in daylight, there were almost always several photographers there except in inclement weather.
 #1142204  by Steve F45

The older platform near the Lehigh Line has gotten very popular amongst a newer younger crowd. Some of these kids are pushing the limits of tresspassing and some blatently cross the tracks to get shots of the PRS or better lite of Lehigh Line trains. Just look for video's on youtube, you'll see them doing it. They seem to honeslty not care and will do what they want.

As others have said, stay on the platform and you should be fine. If you see one of these kids step down from the platform and near the lehigh line screem at him to get back up so he doesn't ruin it for the rest.
 #1142238  by TAMR213

Steve F45 wrote:The older platform near the Lehigh Line has gotten very popular amongst a newer younger crowd. Some of these kids are pushing the limits of tresspassing and some blatently cross the tracks to get shots of the PRS or better lite of Lehigh Line trains. Just look for video's on youtube, you'll see them doing it. They seem to honeslty not care and will do what they want.

As others have said, stay on the platform and you should be fine. If you see one of these kids step down from the platform and near the lehigh line screem at him to get back up so he doesn't ruin it for the rest.
I've experienced this myself. I am only 24 and have been going to Bound Brook for 12+ years, but the way some of the teenage railfans that now populate Bound Brook act, it almost makes it unpleasant to even be there. 16 year old foam central.

And yes, as others have said stay on the platform and you should be okay.
 #1142382  by Jtgshu

Yea they do some really stupid human tricks there, but the best thing to do is if they are there and acting moronic, just go elsewhere, there are plenty of places nearby, that you can see the same trains (freight and/or passenger) and no one be around. If you walk over the bridge to South Bound Brook and go to the other side of the river you can walk down on the trail and there are some openings in the trees in a few places you can see pretty good over to the LL.
 #1142482  by NYSW3022

TAMR213 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:The older platform near the Lehigh Line has gotten very popular amongst a newer younger crowd. Some of these kids are pushing the limits of tresspassing and some blatently cross the tracks to get shots of the PRS or better lite of Lehigh Line trains. Just look for video's on youtube, you'll see them doing it. They seem to honeslty not care and will do what they want.

I've experienced this myself. I am only 24 and have been going to Bound Brook for 12+ years, but the way some of the teenage railfans that now populate Bound Brook act, it almost makes it unpleasant to even be there. 16 year old foam central.

And yes, as others have said stay on the platform and you should be okay.
All of this and add to it that most of these juvenile 'geniuses' have radios that can and do transmit on active rail frequencies. Eventually someone will do something REALLY stupid and Boundbrook will be yet another location off limits to honest railfans.
 #1142654  by njtmnrrbuff

I def agree about railfans having the "I feel like it attitude" in Bound Brook. Just like most places, there are plenty of legal spots to get pictures of trains. Yes, you may have to compromise some stuff such as the angle of the sun in the afternoon during the colder months causing movements on the Lehigh Line to be sidelit Going to alongside Pt. Reading Jct ISN'T one of them. I hope that Bound Brook will never be "off limits" to railfans. The reason why I put the quotations is because those few bad apples are going to spoil it for everybody else.
 #1142792  by Don31

Interesting thread. What I should continue to point out however, is that even if these kids act like morons, they cannot "ruin it for the rest of us". The platform is NJT property. NJT as we all recall, does not have a ban on photography. Just stay on the platform and you'll be fine.
 #1143091  by ApproachMedium

Kids will do whatever they want without adult supervision. Its no different than when i worked at my friends LAN center and the middle school kids would come in to play counter strike and just yell scream and curse at each other and buy all the junkfood they could get on their allowance.

Really what needs to happen is the cops shouldn't be harrasing the kids for being there taking photos, they should be harrasing them for IDs and anyone under 18 should be required to be there with adults. The big railroad is not a toy, its not a babysitter, its real its dangerous and I think we all understand that.
 #1143543  by Plate C

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and offer a perspective here. To be clear, I am not talking wrong/right, nor am I advocating for anyone to trespass or otherwise break the law. I've done some extensive railfanning at points around the country and have found that the culture of any railfan area is always defined by the railroad operating at a given location, the people who live around that location, and the railfans that gather there. There are locations where the general public cuts through the yard or down the ROW and the railroad doesn't say anything. At others, RR PD is rolling up just as soon as your foot crosses the line. I've been to some locations in some bad areas where the crew appeared relieved to see a railfan instead of the neighborhood thugs in their area. Point is, when the railroad allows people from the neighborhood onto their property, it gives the appearance of this being acceptable behavior for others to do too, and that's usually what happens.

Over the past year at Bound Brook, I've seen numerous instances of bums, families, etc., crossing the tracks to get from point A to point B. Many others come down the ROW and private property between the freight and NJT lines. Granted I've never seen this occur as a train is coming on, but I've never seen any of these neighborhood locals stopped, harrassed, etc., and this gives the appearance that this is acceptable behavior there. The one exception I saw, I was sitting on the edge of the platform with my feet in the grass when a cop came up and asked if I had seen a guy wandering around the tracks- I assume CSX or NS called him in. It was obvious I was there railfanning, told the cop I hadn't seen the guy, and the cop left. Afterward, I did see the guy and realized it was a homeless guy picking around the tracks further up the line, and his hanging around there acting strangely is likely what got him called in.

For what it's worth, the first railfan that I saw off the platform at BB was an adult, and I've seen several that have gone over to the stack of ties or down the ROW between freight and NJT lines for a shot, and that is RR property. I've seen some do more than that but I'll leave that out. I've also heard some of the younger kids comment against crossing tracks, being close to the ROW, etc., so it's unfair to blame them as the "problem" if there is one. I have strayed from that platform before, waved to the crew as I took my shot, and got the wave back, which says to me that they're ok with where I'm standing. In the end, use common sense and demonstrate that you have basic knowledge of railroad safety and I don't think you'll be bothered.

Finally, for the people advocating to yell at the kids or call the PD, I disagree with both. Kids, much less anyone else, are not going to respond to you yelling at them, and may very well give you more than you bargained for in return. What you'll end up with is an uncomfortable situation of disgruntled people hanging around each other waiting for trains. Also along these lines, if you're not going to yell at the countless neighborhood people walking around off the platform (and I'm quite sure most reading this are not going to step up to that hulking homeless guy crossing over to tell him off) then you shouldn't say anything at all- be consistent.
Try to appreciate these younger kids, the railroad is forgotten and not respected or appreciated by the general public, so when a younger generation takes an interest we should embrace this. These kids, like everyone else, are trying to get that perfect shot. Trains Magazine does not run crappy photos shot into the sun, and the kids are modeling what they see in mags, online, etc.
As for the cops, calling the PD only draws attention from the local authorities to the railfans being there and invites harrassment and unwanted attention. If the RR is ok with it, it's their property and their call to make unless you're witnessing something suspicious or unusual. Again, I believe that people, regardless of age, exercising common sense and safety makes the difference.