Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1126644  by M.R. Snell

Several years ago I happened to be near the NYSW Ridgefield Park engine facility & saw an older unmarked 50' boxcar that had been converted for use at the facility. It had the sliding door partially slid back with a man door & steps added into the open portion of the door.

Can anyone expand on what this car is/was used for such as a yard office, crew room, or for engine materials storage? Maybe any or all of the above? Looks like this couls be a neat project for a model rr.
 #1126829  by NYSWfan91

Don't hold me to it, but I believe this is the story about the boxcar. The boxcar is used by a company near by which unloads tankers full of wax or some sort of substance that is solid at room temperature. They essentially converted the boxcar into a furnace to melt the substance so that they are able to unload/load it. The boxcar in question is Ex. Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad (FJG) 153994. Before being owned by FJG, the boxcar was ex. PC, Exx. NYC. Here is a photograph of the car; http://njmike.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=433936.