Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1553776  by RailsEast

NS 5286 (OLS scheme), CSX 4429 with 11 lumber and a tank, Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:50 in the pm.
 #1553804  by RailsEast

Well, certainly, sir; an Operation Lifesaver unit is pretty rare on the Southern.....
In Shrewsbury.....
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5411925

And Tinton Falls.....
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5411926

Chris
 #1553806  by OCtrainguy

I was able to see the train by Extech. The train passed by my location after six o'clock. Just wish we had the sunny skies at that time, like it was when I was at lunch.
 #1553848  by RailsEast

Agreed, Stephen! My first photo above showed the approaching clouds and just 45 minutes later my second photo was shrouded in those very clouds; the approaching weather front was just a bit too quick that day.
Glad you caught them, though, you are one of the authorities on the Southern Secondary.
(Not saying you're old, just that you have 35 years of experience on the line). :wink:
 #1553953  by Bracdude181

I've been informed that we might have an SA91 today. I can't confirm it at this time though, so it would be wise to keep an eye out.

Edit: There is an SA91. They went down the Amboy Secondary to work the paper mill.
 #1554307  by GSC

Anything on SA31 today? Might wander down to see it. Might do Asbury Road.
 #1554315  by GSC

Right on time, 6:00 pm at the Asbury Road crossing.

Got a nice pic that I can't post here for some reason.
 #1554325  by OCtrainguy

RailsEast wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:38 pm Agreed, Stephen! My first photo above showed the approaching clouds and just 45 minutes later my second photo was shrouded in those very clouds; the approaching weather front was just a bit too quick that day.
Glad you caught them, though, you are one of the authorities on the Southern Secondary.
(Not saying you're old, just that you have 35 years of experience on the line). :wink:
Hey, hey, it hasn't been that long... LOL!!

I was working remotely today, and the skies seemed nice and blue, but alas I could not get out to see the train. Perhaps the weather will cooperate next week when I am at the office and closer to the tracks.
 #1554393  by JohnFromJersey

What was the most amount of trains anyone has seen here in a week? I know back when Gold's was open, we'd see a regularly scheduled Tuesday and Thursday trains, and now sometimes a second Sunday run.

When was the last time we've seen more than two trains on the Southern Secondary?
 #1554408  by CR7876

Probably back in the Conveyer Train time period. Late 80's, Early 90's. I can't remember a time in the last 20 some years that two trains have been on the line at the same time.
 #1554412  by GSC

It was back in the mid-70s when you could hear three sand trains going down, and a few hours later, three returning. I was staying in Farmingdale and heard them. Maybe 20-30 minutes apart, each with distinct quilling on the horns. It was also about the time that JS-1 through freight would head down to South Jersey, while a sand train would head north later in the day. SJ-2 would return late at night. Lashups with RS3s and SD35s weren't uncommon. Old beat up LHR and LNE covered hoppers hauled the sand. It was fun watching back then.