Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1495515  by JohnFromJersey

RailsEast wrote:Sand will move from Woodmansie only there is a concrete agreement (no pun intended) to completely fund the Gateway Project. NY & NJ have allocated funds to pay for half of the 13 Billion dollar cost, and they are waiting on Washington to fund the other half. The state of NJ did ok the grant to rebuild Lakehurst-Woodmansie, so at least NJ is thinking positively about this.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10/18 ... er-tunnel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone & their grandmother expects this to get done, the only question is when. The existing tunnels will fail, either incrementally or catastrophically, in the next 25 years. Major rehab on the existing tunnels (another need for sand) could then be instituted when the new tunnels are completed.

Sand, I believe, would travel from Woodmansie to North Bergen, where the Jersey-side portals would be constructed.
I had projected late 2019 for trains to start in a previous post, but for political reasons (2020 election year approaching), it may be sometime in 2020 (or '21).....

Again, this is just my opinion, and I have no inside information on the subject; a tie replacement program on the Southern and the rebuild of the 'Lakehurst connection' over the Manapaqua Creek (Rt.70) will reveal a better timetable.
Chris
The real questions I have is, when sand trains start rolling on the tracks for any ARC tunnel work, how many trains a week can we expect?

As for the other projects you mentioned, do you think the tie replacement and what not would come anytime soon? I could imagine that if they did that, combined with the ARC tunnel, there would be strong reasons to somehow bundle MOM line development into the mix :P
 #1495533  by pdtrains

When it comes to sand trains on the southern, IMHO, everyone here ought to just take a break. AFAIK, all the track work south of lakewood that has been done so far, has been use of "use it or lose it" money. So of course they are going to use it. I dont think it is any indication of use of the track being immanent.
 #1495638  by snavely

Video shows a whole lot of rocking going on- starts to make me seasick...also looks like no FRED on the tail end.
 #1495684  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

snavely wrote:Video shows a whole lot of rocking going on- starts to make me seasick...also looks like no FRED on the tail end.
Yeah, the tracks are in really bad condition from Sycamore to Shrewsbury.
 #1495686  by Coast Line Railfan

Jersey Rail FIlmmakers wrote:
snavely wrote:Video shows a whole lot of rocking going on- starts to make me seasick...also looks like no FRED on the tail end.
Yeah, the tracks are in really bad condition from Sycamore to Shrewsbury.
Not to mention the fact that Andy always liked to gun it through Sycamore . . . lol
 #1495703  by glennk419

Definitely a FRED on the tank car, just not flashing.