Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1469622  by RailsEast

Nice train today....CSX 4451, CSX 4432 + 19, approaching Maxwell Rd at 5:00 in the pm. ABOX up front, not sure if brick or not, one gon, one tank, rest for Woodhaven.
 #1470455  by NJT4149

NY&LB wrote:SA 31 waiting on 2 eastbounds (@3:14 in the PM)
Power should be CSX 4451 and CSX 6160
 #1470463  by RailsEast

Thanks, Donny, power is confirmed as CSX 4451 leading CSX 6160, with 19 again this week. One brick car & 18 Woodhavens approaching Maxwell Rd at 4:55 in the pm.....
Chris
 #1470511  by RailsEast

Eastbound through Shrewsbury at 0415 hours; looked like a loaded centerbeam on the head-end. I'm guessing not enough room at Woodhaven this week.....
 #1470548  by GSC

I really have to get to Lakewood to see this. How long is the yard trackage there to support some 18 loaded cars? Is the runaround that long? I've watched on this thread as the Lakehurst terminal was shut down and the new Lakewood passing track was built and put into service. I didn't know how long the new installation was, or how Woodhaven handled unloading the cars. I guess I should mosey on down there and see for myself.

I'm supposed to be retired, but work still gets in the way. I appreciate you guys reporting on this.
 #1470570  by R&DB

Gary,
Woodhaven has two stub tracks withe usual capacity of 8 cars each. (pretty easy to see on Google maps satellite view) Sometimes they can stuff an extra car in there depending on car lengths. Centerbeam lumber racks are 85' and box cars are generally 50'. Unloading is by forklifts.
Yesterday's train had 18 for Woodhaven. I have no idea how they thought it was all going to fit. As Chris noted above, it seems they hauled 1 loaded centerbeam back to Browns Yard along with the empties.
 #1471316  by RailsEast

Brush fire extinguished in Middletown, westbound trains given ok to proceed, not sure if this will impact SA-31 today.
 #1471319  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

It probably will... it depends on how many NJT Trains were delayed. If it was a good amount of trains delayed, we can expect a delay on the southern...
 #1471321  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

I think I heard something about waiting for 2 trains... Could not really tell because it got interrupted by a different frequency