Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#16918  by nolifeCRchaser

Once again CSuX GP-40-2 #4415 came thru with a handfull of cars. The SA31 was drilling Dinaso at about 3pm this afternoon then proceeded down to Lakehurst, retrieved the shoving platform and ran around the train before heading to Woodhaven Lumber to drill. It was good to see OCtrainguy and another Southern Secondary railfan out there. The engine may have been junk, but it was a good day for train chasing.

#16921  by CleanCab_108

Group,
Thanks for all of this great information on the Southern Secondary. I am very new to this but love listening to train activity on the scanner. I am wondering what frequencies are used, if any on lines such as the Southern Secondary, Freehold Secondary, etc. Basically the lines used in Ocean and Monmouth Counties. I am familiar with all of the NJT Frequencies, just not these. Also while we are at it, what is the line of tracks that runs next to the Collingswood Auction in Wall Twsp and then under RT 34. Thanks for all your help and great information.

Kyle
 #16931  by OCtrainguy

fdnybuff18 wrote:Also while we are at it, what is the line of tracks that runs next to the Collingswood Auction in Wall Twsp and then under RT 34. Thanks for all your help and great information.
The trackage that you see next to Collingswood Auction is the Southern Secondary.

The weather today was very good compared to what I heard the weather would be. It was good to be out today, and with nolifeCRchaser, went to some of our favorite, and some new, photos spots. South of downtown Lakewood, where I first saw the train, the traffic was not too bad, so I was able to get ahead of the train most of the time. Just wish they had something else besides the 4415. At Browns Yard yesterday was CSX GP38-2 2796 (still in Conrail paint) along with CSX GP40-2 4403 (also in Conrail paint). But, I'm not surprised about the 4415. It was still a good day though.

#18087  by nolifeCRchaser

I heard the SA31 was supposed to be running down the Southern today. I was over at Browns this afternoon and the good news is that 4415 was not there, most likely on the Southern. The 4403 may not make another trip down the Southern as the cab signals were removed. The other night there were 4 road units at Browns and last night there was a railgrinder in the area(something about working on the Amboy Secondary). Also, the industry at the end of Colonial Drive(off of Ridgeway Blvd) appears to be laying rail down, but I see no clearing of vegetation for the rail to connect to the Southern.

CSuX 4415 leaving the Lakehurst runaround. Kodak 3200 1/1000 @ F16

"BRING BACK THE SA35!!!"

#18101  by Jtgshu

Is the 10mph speed restriction still in place on the Southern???

#18210  by CRRNJ878

Wolf or CRchaser..have u guys seen any rail activity yet at the old Atlantic bldg supply building? Thnks...
 #18258  by OCtrainguy

This is a longshot, but what about taking the cab signals out of the 4415 and placing them in the 4403?? :D That way, the 4403 can run down the Southern Secondary!!
 #18314  by nolifeCRchaser

OCtrainguy wrote:This is a longshot, but what about taking the cab signals out of the 4415 and placing them in the 4403?? :D That way, the 4403 can run down the Southern Secondary!!
We can only wish that CSX would do something like that. I do like CSX's quality job of patching up the class lights on the nose but left the lights on the long hood. By the way, CSX 8974(or something like that) SD-45-2 in Dark Future paint is at Browns with 8886 and 2796. At least the 2735 is working out of Parkview Yard and not on the Southern.

Jtgshu, the speed restriction is probably still in effect, but when the SA31 runs they do more than 50mph.

CRRNJ878, the piece of track machinery that was there is now gone and I have seen no cars on the property yet. They did clean up the area around the siding, but no cars.
 #18454  by JJMDiMunno

nolifeCRchaser wrote: By the way, CSX 8974(or something like that) SD-45-2 in Dark Future paint is at Browns with 8886 and 2796.
Yeah, that's the 8974...the only CSX SD45-2 in that DF paint scheme...

We've got sister SD45-2 8973 back down here at Camden, she's running CA-11 these days as southbound leader...with other sister 8976 northbound lead...
 #19558  by NY&LB

Heard the Coast Line Dispatcher clearing the wire train into the Red Bank Yard at 1:45 this afternoon and saying to "let me know when you are clear so I can move the freight"; SA 31 was approaching Bank from Middletown. SA 31 came by Patterson Avenue in Shrewsbury at 2:07 with NS 5278 (GP 38-2) with 10 cars including one dirt car. This is only the second time I've seen NS black "horse" power on the Southern!

Hope you boys down south have your cameras ready!
 #19596  by mdamico23

I saw the return run of the SA-31. It was a light engine move with the aforementioned Norfolk Southern GP38-2, #5278. Engine was moving long-hood forward with no cars at a pretty good clip. Came northbound through the Hazlet station right before 6 PM. I thought I was seeing things when the NS locomotive came through. Anyone know the reason for the light engine move? Were there no return cars to bring back from Ocean County or was the crew going to outlaw, so they were heading back for Browns?

-Mike

#19681  by Jtgshu

Silly question, which I should probably know the answer too, but don't, well, im not sure actually....

But a light CR engine move on the Coast Line (only enignes, no cars), what are the speeds that is regulated by, the light engine speed restrictions of the engines, or would they still be regulated by the freight speeds on the Coast Line???

My guess would be the light engine speeds for those types of engines (either single units or multiple) Am I right???
 #19712  by OCtrainguy

Would've loved to have been out yesterday afternoon enjoying the weather. Unfortunately, I spent most of the day in the ER with my wife, then grabbed some lunch before getting home. If they were going through Hazlet shortly before six o'clock, there was no way I was going to be able to see them. Hopefully, they will use the same engine for their next run, which may be on Tuesday.

There have been times when the SA35 returned to Browns Yard with just an engine. I guess depending on the circumstances, and how many cars can be held in a client's respective track, perhaps they could put the empties and loads on the siding, then leave them for their next run. This would be a good question for someone who works on the freight roads.

A few years ago, I asked one of the crewmembers of the SA35 what their speed was on the NJCL. He said 30 m.p.h. I didn't even think about any possible speed variances for a single locomotive though.

#19718  by Jtgshu

There are different speed limits for locomotives, when they are operating singlily light, multiple light (several engines coupled together, but no cars) and with train. For example, most NJT engines are 30 single, 50 multiple light, and 100 with train.

The speed on most of the Coast Line for freight trains is 30, with speed restricitons thrown in places. But that is with a freight train. Would just the movement of freight locomotives, no train, on the Coast Line, be held to the passenger speeds (80 mph) and then govered by the "Multiple Light" speed limit - the lowest speed of the models in teh consists. So if say the GP38 has a multiple light speed of 50, would they be able to go fifty, or would it still be govered by the freight train speed limits, which, more than likely would be slower than teh multiple light speeds, in this case, 30?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone!!!