Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Garfield Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#116334  by CarterB

On a 1940 (1935 survey) USGS map, it shows a small siding W of River Rd but E. of Black Bridge.

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=NJ

Interesting also is the Passaic Branch of the Erie showing a full wye at Monroe St. When whas that removed?

#116351  by BlockLine_4111

On the NYS&W side back in the late 70s, maybe very early 80s I do recall rails in the pavement at River Road and what looked like reminants of a siding between River Road and the river (in Garfield).

I do not recall any reminants of a "wye" although older city maps do show this. My grandfather and I got a ride in an EL switcher in 75/76 at the Monroe Street location.

#120029  by New Haven 1

WOW! Lots of great stuff on this very interesting piece of railroad. I no longer care if I find the original thread. I was visiting my relatives this past weekend and, took advantage of it. I walked down what I think was
Garwood ( ? ) st. to where the line splits with a spur off what was the main to head towards the Garden State Paper complex. The tracks are rusty but completely intact. The right of way itself appears to be cleared of brush so a train could traverse the line as it stands. The same goes the main which is now the spur for Garfield Lumber. As I walked the spur towards the back of the lumber barn, all of the neighborhood dogs let anyone who was interested know that I was doing it. No-one appeared to be. Unfortuantely, while the back door to the lumber barn is still there and usable, there is a pile of broken cinder blocks across the tracks indicating no service as has been mentioned. I have spoken to local friends of mine and my relatives who mention that there is still rumors about Garden State Paper coming back to life. This,of course, would in turn bring the branch back to life for both Garden State and Garfield Lumber. I would imagine that the line is embargoed at the present in the matter of Garfield Lumber as they wouldn't do enough to support it by themselves. However,if Garden State Paper comes back, then it would be an entirley different matter. This would also explain why the Suskie is keeping the line in operating status thus grandfathering any concerns which might otherwise come up. Let's hope! One more thing. Somewhere on this thread, it was stated that there were no tie plates under the rails. At least in this area both the main and, the spur had them as far as I could see for what it's worth.

#120199  by BlockLine_4111

I recall in early 80s sections of track behind GHS and Presto Lock had 80 lb. stick rail spiked directly to ties w/o tie plates.

#120274  by njt4172

Blockline,

Were you able to pick it up and take it home with you>????

Steve

#254521  by Steve F45

im glad i found this thread. I was about to start one about the nysw garfield branch.

Only reason was after coming back from nygl dundee facility i found a piece of the rails from the garfield branch sticking out of the pavement on river dr and part of the sidewalk near a auto garage. I may go down today and check it out. I've wanted to walk to old row to photograph it but dont feel comfortable doin so.

Also GSP does not look to be coming back. The place just looks like its falling apart.
 #254783  by pdtrains

As far as I know, What some are calling the Garfield branch here, is actually what the NYSW called the Passaic Branch, but I could be wrong.
Just looked at the whole branch/ROW on Google earth. You can easily see
the tracks are intact to GSP. The Branch itself..tracks extend just south
of the GSP switch, then are abandoned, with some areas of rail still aparent. You can see the building built on the ROW to the south, with rail extending out the south end of the building. ROW is obvious down to the
old "Black Bridge" across the river. There is something, maybe an old pier, about 10 feet south of where the bridge crossed the river.
Sindings to the old Hynds property, as well as the old building are evident, as well as the sidings at Oak/Lizette, and at Botany st that went in a southwesterly direction. The Botany st siding appears to have crossed river dr at one time.

As far as wye tracks are concerned, the only one I can see is the Erie one
where the Dundee spur meets the bergen co. line.

Only the north end of the wye is in svc, but the ROW of the south end is clearly visible.

pdt

#257479  by New Haven 1

I'm a bit surprised , but, pleased to see this old thread about a neat branch still kicking around. However, I'm even more surprised that some politician doesn't try a PR move by sponsoring a state backed revival of Garden State Paper. It's too bad that it had to be dragged down by the Enron mess ,but, the company itself was a fairly profitable operation. With all the growing concern about conserving our resources of which recycling is a vital part of, it is sad to see a blind eye turned towards this. N.Y.S.& W. is doing their part by keeping the branch around for possible use. According to my relatives who live in Garfield, Garfield Lumber is doing very well which means they could benefit by adding their business back to the branch if it were supported by the primary customer. As I live out of state, I am asking, has anyone heard any thoughts, or, notions of this possibly happening?

#257635  by Steve F45

New Haven 1 wrote:I'm a bit surprised , but, pleased to see this old thread about a neat branch still kicking around. However, I'm even more surprised that some politician doesn't try a PR move by sponsoring a state backed revival of Garden State Paper. It's too bad that it had to be dragged down by the Enron mess ,but, the company itself was a fairly profitable operation. With all the growing concern about conserving our resources of which recycling is a vital part of, it is sad to see a blind eye turned towards this. N.Y.S.& W. is doing their part by keeping the branch around for possible use. According to my relatives who live in Garfield, Garfield Lumber is doing very well which means they could benefit by adding their business back to the branch if it were supported by the primary customer. As I live out of state, I am asking, has anyone heard any thoughts, or, notions of this possibly happening?
I haven't heard anything new lately. But i have seen some people coming and going from the building the last few weeks. Maybe it is beeing considered to be reopened.

#257675  by Sir Ray

2005Vdub wrote:I haven't heard anything new lately. But i have seen some people coming and going from the building the last few weeks. Maybe it is beeing considered to be reopened.
Are you certain it's not an expansion of the self storage facility that shared the GSP location?

#257790  by Steve F45

Sir Ray wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:I haven't heard anything new lately. But i have seen some people coming and going from the building the last few weeks. Maybe it is beeing considered to be reopened.
Are you certain it's not an expansion of the self storage facility that shared the GSP location?
i never even knew there was a self storage there. But maybe that was it then. These cars though were parked along river drive and walking around the lot there and going in. Is that were the entrance was?

#257814  by Sir Ray

2005Vdub wrote:i never even knew there was a self storage there. But maybe that was it then. These cars though were parked along river drive and walking around the lot there and going in. Is that were the entrance was?
Actually, no. IIRC, Roughly where Lanza & Jewell St. Intersect is an entrance to the facility, with a driveway heading North - I remember two low but large brick buildings on either side of this driveway. The driveway then intersected an east-west driveway at a T (and crossing several sidings and spurs, only one of which was active when I last saw this 2 years ago - the GSP siding, of course), with a taller brick building ahead - west laid a small parking lot and then the GSP facility, with the tank car unloading facility and storage tanks etc., and east ... didn't lie all that much (except the siding leading out and curving NE to the Garfield branch). I believe the storage facility was in one of the low-lying brick buildings bracketing the entryway (made a good excuse if security at GSP ever challenged you - "Oops, I made a wrong turn to the storage facility"). It gave the impression of a once huge industrial facility divvided up into little individual enterprises, which of course it was (apparently the 'Forstmann Woolen Company', according to my cutting edge 1998 Geographia Atlas)

#257908  by New Haven 1

2005vdub,
I hope your enthusiasm turns out to ring true. I'm sure sir ray who also responded would share my hope. It is just so illogical to not resume operation when keeping in mind that one can never do TOO MUCH recycling. Perhaps some of you folks who live in New Jersey could take my signature to heart in this matter. I would be glad to add my voice if one of you could provide me with the proper contact info.

#258243  by Steve F45

Well i went down the GSP plant today to check things out. Not sure who's business it is or if its gsp but someone works in the guard house on the river drive side and there were some people hanging out/working on the loading docks on the river drive side.
I then went up lanza drive to check out the line there. I saw the structure that was put up over the tracks. The doors on each end were open and the tracks were completely visible and not obstructed at all. Almost looks as if that building could use rail if they could/wanted too. The lumber co. though not to sure. Looks fairly tight with the way things are setup currently.