Railroad Forums 

• Hurricane sandy updates...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1098334  by airman00

I didn't know whether to post this in the NJT forum or here in New Jersey forum, but regardless... batten down the hatches boys cause here comes sandy.

The NJT Pascack Valley line is in BIG trouble and even Amtrak along the NEC. I figured we could use this topic as a "base" so to speak to give updates on the different rails line in NJ and the after effects. The only problem is if power is down I won't be able to post much. However... being as it is that I'm in the tree business, I'll be experiencing the storm first hand.
 #1099289  by airman00

Reply with quote Re: Hurricane issues and recovery time
by millerm277 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 am

Hoboken Terminal is already flooding: http://twitpic.com/b8dg7f

Going to do some major damage, considering there's a lot more surge to come.

In NJT forum found this post, Hoboken terminal starting to flood. This as of last night...
 #1099495  by Jersey_Mike

Wonder if there will be a Cape May Seashore Line after this. It would suck to lose service into Cape May after so many years.
 #1099824  by millerm277

Crabman1130 wrote:I heard the Governor saying cranes were removing rail cars from the NJTpk. Where and what was this?
Most likely where the rail line parallels the Turnpike from Newark Airport, through the refineries and Carteret. IIRC that's also a low-lying area.
 #1099842  by pumpers

millerm277 wrote:
Crabman1130 wrote:I heard the Governor saying cranes were removing rail cars from the NJTpk. Where and what was this?
Most likely where the rail line parallels the Turnpike from Newark Airport, through the refineries and Carteret. IIRC that's also a low-lying area.

You are right about Carteret. I just posted the following on the NJ Transit forum. JS
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1 ... ss_st.html
"Transportation officials said rail cars washed on to the Turnpike near Exit 12 in Carteret." (not NJ Transit but you can imagine how bad the Coast line is).

From the same site: " Lavallette, Ortley Beach and Seaside Park were largely leveled by the storm surge.... There are houses in the middle of Route 35"
Sounds very bad for the Bay Head yard (about 5 miles from Lavallette), not to mention all the houses and businesses and residents.
 #1099854  by pumpers

http://twitter.com/kmuss823/status/2632 ... 37/photo/1 Not my photo but I have to believe it. I imagine it is the northbound truck lanes, since those are closest to the Chemical COast line. Wonder if those lanes are open yet - hard to believe they could clean it up so fast. From the NJ turnpike web site, it doesn't look like anything unusual in that area though. Click on the pic to enlarge it. JS
The twitter messages say it was posted by the wife of a NJ state trooper.
 #1099883  by wolfboy8171981

For the record, those are NOT railroad freight cars. They are 40 foot shipping tanks ( shipping containers). Most likely they came from Kinder Morgan in Carteret, blown down by the wind, and the storm surge took them up the Carteret Ind track and over the Chemical Coast onto the truck lanes of the NJTPK.
 #1099973  by airman00

No power for me so I'm using someone else's computer. But lots of trees down and it's real bad out there.
 #1100169  by Otto Vondrak

It will take days to recover, especially from the reports of damage we are getting on the North Jersey Coast Line and the Atlantic City Line. Everybody stay safe out there, and thanks to the thousands of workers out there in harms way restoring essential services. If you are able to post information about efforts to restore rail service, please share. Our thoughts go out to everyone affected by the storm.

-otto-
 #1100206  by Otto Vondrak

From NJT Facebook page, 10/30/2012 9:18pm

NJ TRANSIT continues to inspect facilities, infrastructure and equipment across all regions of the state in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. Due to significant damage across the State’s public transportation network, NJ TRANSIT rail, light rail and Access Link service will remain suspended until further notice. On Wednesday, October 31, NJ TRANSIT bus service will operate in Camden only, on a weekday schedule.

Rail Service:

Rail service will remain suspended until further notice. There is currently no estimated time for resumption of service.
Rail customers are advised to seek alternate transportation because of significant storm damage.
Crews continue to inspect the rail infrastructure to get a full assessment of damage:
NJ TRANSIT’s Rail Operations Center—the central nervous system of the railroad—is engulfed in water, which has damaged backup power supply systems, the emergency generator, and the computer system that controls the movement of trains and power supply
There are numerous downed trees across the rail system, which have caused damage to overhead wires and signal wires.
There are rail washouts across the system, including on the North Jersey Coast Line and Atlantic City Rail Line
Several rail stations are flooded, including Hoboken Terminal.
Morgan Drawbridge on the North Jersey Coast Line in South Amboy sustained damage from boats and a trailer that collided into the bridge.

Light Rail Service:

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail and River Line service will remain suspended until further notice. There is currently no estimated time for resumption of service.
Crews continue to inspect the light rail infrastructure to get a full assessment of damage.
Newark Light Rail sustained flooding in Newark Penn Station, as well as major debris damage between Newark Penn and Branch Brook Park stations.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail experienced track washouts at Port Imperial and West Side Avenue stations, as well as trees in the overhead wire in Weehawken and flooding in Hoboken.
River Line sustained no significant damage to equipment or infrastructure; however, due to a loss of commercial power between Camden and Trenton, there is no power to operate the signals and switches.
 #1100430  by RailsEast

In my 52 years in Monmouth county, I have never seen devastation like this. Like most people, my cell phone is my one connection to the outside world. Keeping on-topic, I can report that the CNJ Seashore Branch was under 3 feet of water in spots; gas stations are scarce in the county, so I'm trying to stay local, will try to get photos in the next few days ......and, indeed, say a prayer for the lost & missing......
Chris