Railroad Forums 

• Oil trains to Perth Amboy???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1305283  by RailsEast

The former Chevron plant (now appearing to be handling Sunoco product) in Perth Amboy seems ready to receive oil trains. New trackwork & unloading racks are in place, looks much like Motiva across the street. Maurer Rd. is now closed to the public, and used by plant personnel only. Looks like the GS Secondary will be getting a bit busier in 2015......

An very interesting video of a new Canadian oil loading facility:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtL4Wgvl ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1305302  by pumpers

Are the unloading racks west of State St (and on the west side of the Chemical Coast - between it and the NJ transit line to Rahway)?
Do you know if the loads will be coming in via CSX (down from Albany) or via NS (from the west on the Lehigh line)?
I read on newsgroups that the loads Philips operation up in Linden are coming via NS, but most of the oil for the Philadelphia area and south Jersey is coming from CSX.
THanks for the update, JS
 #1305337  by RailsEast

Yes, all rail related infrastructure is on the west side of the Secondary, a stone's throw from Motiva, whose trackage is on the east side of the Secondary, but still west of State St. (my apologies for my previous post, "across the street" was not accurate, "up the street" would be more appropriate). DCS BARB was right at the Maurer Rd crossing, and I believe the switch for the new terminal is just a few feet south of that. There are lots of No Trespassing signs in the area, so I did a quick 'move through' & kept going. I have no intel as to where the trains will be originating, nor the carrier. The Linden trains are indeed coming in as NS 66Z, leaving as 67Z.
(And, like JS, I find myself still calling it the 'Chemical Coast'; old habits are hard to break........)

Chris
 #1314510  by SecaucusJunction

So does anyone think that Buckeye Perth Amboy is actually going to open? 4+ months behind schedule and counting...
 #1326071  by SecaucusJunction

It is very shocking to me that this facility has not seen a train. A whole lot of money was spent. Now we're headed up on 8 months behind scheduled opening.

Is there any sort of timeline that this might receive a Bakken/Canadian shipment?
 #1326093  by CJPat

Is this another case that due to drop in OPEC oil prices, anything utilizing the, now, more expensive Bakken oil gets put into an indefinite delay until the oil futures turn around again?

They did lay offs in North Dakota in response to demand shifting back to over-seas oil. I assume the new West Texas fields also went thru lay offs.
 #1326182  by pumpers

IIRC (always risky words in my case) the business plan was to load tanker ships in Perth Amboy and take it to the Caribbean where Buckeye had either a big storage/transfer terminal or a refinery. Maybe with the global price drop it is cheaper for them to get oil to that site from other sources now. JS