• Port Reading Branch New Signals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by David Hutchinson

If you are coming out of the Mall, heading towards Woodbridge Ave/Main Street, you will come up to a traffic light. Directly across the street and slightly to the left is the Heresite building. There used to be a gate in their cyclone fence to the right of the building.... this gate was for the tracks going down to the clay pits. The Historic Aerials site now has topographical maps going way back, if you ever want to research track diagrams. The LV used to come to the wye in Metuchen to service Premium Plastics. Their siding came off the west leg of the wye. In the 1960's, Oakite ( the old Celotex facility) was the last industry before South Plainfield. Oakite had two tracks. Don't remember when the flyover was last used. It had catenary on it, by the way. The few parallel tracks around Plainfield Avenue were by the old Kilmer Tower. They allowed the PRR to get back onto the Main or go to the flyover. They also continued down to the LV/RDG. A lot of PRR MUs were used as trains to take the troops to Jersey City. As a side note, Metuchen on the Port Reading had two private industries. A coal yard trestle at the foot of Christol Street where there is now a park and a feed/cinders dealer at Christol and Ross Avenue. Metuchen had a small runaround track that was used for the shifter and/or MOW equipment, as opposed to the three passing sidings for full length trains. I was told that the steam coal trains were about 50 cars in length which would make maybe 10 or more trains on the branch back in the days.
  by David Hutchinson

Well, I have not been to Woodbridge in years and I just noticed that the Heresite building that I talked about is gone...... only a flat stretch of vacant land. It's at the Woodbridge Center Drive and Main Street intersection. The road on the map called Mutton Hollow is named after one of the clay companies that used to be on the RDG Branch through there.
  by David Hutchinson

Does anyone know why the highway crossing signal gates/arms along the Branch have been removed after Hurricane Sandy?
  by Off Pending

David Hutchinson wrote:Does anyone know why the highway crossing signal gates/arms along the Branch have been removed after Hurricane Sandy?
Which ones were removed? There were only 4 crossings on the branch that had gates ... S. Main Street in Bound Brook, Route 35, Rahway Avenue, and Blair Road.
  by David Hutchinson

This is info I received from a friend. Washington Avenue in New Market and at Durham..... could have been Talmadge Road or the road by the old Rickels Warehouse. Crossings west of Metuchen.
  by Off Pending

David Hutchinson wrote:This is info I received from a friend. Washington Avenue in New Market and at Durham..... could have been Talmadge Road or the road by the old Rickels Warehouse. Crossings west of Metuchen.
It is more likely that the crossings are being upgraded to gates, but the gates have yet to be installed. It is very common for all the hardware to be put in place, and the gates themselves not installed until they are ready to place them in service.
  by David Hutchinson

The gates were there and they have now been removed.
  by Off Pending

David Hutchinson wrote:The gates were there and they have now been removed.
As I stated above, the last time I operated a train over that stretch of track (which was just before the hurricane), only four crossngs were equipped with gates ... the extreme west crossing (South Main Street), and the three at the very east end (Blair Road, Rahway Avenue, and Route 35, respectively, east to west). All the rest of the crossings have flashers only. If they are in the process of upgrading the crossings, it is possible they installed the gates but removed them to avoid damage from high winds before they could be placed in service.
  by Mike77E9

Sounds like new CP names and/or signals are starting to get cut in. Heard 202 get a form D from CP Bound Brook and CP Donald.

Also, heard earlier a CP Karen and a CP Ralph, so it sounds like changes are on the way...
  by TAMR213

Mike77E9 wrote:Sounds like new CP names and/or signals are starting to get cut in. Heard 202 get a form D from CP Bound Brook and CP Donald.

Also, heard earlier a CP Karen and a CP Ralph, so it sounds like changes are on the way...
Interesting stuff, any idea where these new locations are?

Perhaps Wolfboy could let us know as to what the new DCS names are, or why the powers that be decided to change them?
  by Mike77E9

Did some exploring last night, and found two of the new CPs:

Donald - right by the Parsonage Rd Underpass in Iselin.
Ron - Appears to be ex PD.

The rest of them, not sure yet. I want to know who came up with these names... lol
  by wolfboy8171981

CP-Donald will be the only new Control Point on the Port Reading Sec, its around MP 11. There is one ABS between CP- Donald and CP-Ron. There are 3 ABS siginals between CP-Donald and CP-Bound Brook. I do not know when the signal system will be placed in service, but they have already removed the former DCS stations at HELEN,CENTER and, DX, and they have removed Yard Limits between DX and PD.
  by Erie Limited

For what it's worth, I'm hearing extensive testing of the new signal system today. There is a lot of signal maintainer radio chatter as they run through the testing procedures.

Rob
  by Mike77E9

Sounds like the testing of Electric Locks and Signals are occurring on the line today. Traffic heard on AAR 68 - 161.13. Rule 261 is supposed to go into effect at 6:01pm this evening from what i heard over the radio.