• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by jdh823

greyhairedpete wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 9:38 am I'm sure there is something big in the works, that Ace cannot speak about, yet. The C&D team would not have taken on this line for just running to Lakewood with some lumber.
Or he's just stirring the pot πŸ˜›
  by Bracdude181

JohnFromJersey wrote:Toms River? Didn't Conrail already rebuild a bunch/do heavy maintenance to the OOS crossings there a couple of years ago?
NJDOT Rebuilt the Bimini Road surface and that's about it. Besides C&D putting their stickers on the crossing signs nothing has been touched.

JB2 Westbound through Farmingdale 11:14 am

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by greyhairedpete

jdh823 wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am
greyhairedpete wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 9:38 am I'm sure there is something big in the works, that Ace cannot speak about, yet. The C&D team would not have taken on this line for just running to Lakewood with some lumber.
That is definitely a possibility!
  by Bracdude181

@greyhairpete define what you mean by big

West through Downtown Freehold 11:47 am
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Fri May 03, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bracdude181

Greg wrote:
Big? Besides Ace Roofing and Builders it looks like there's no other industries adjacent to the ROW that could be served. The only other thing left is the old BASF site so I'm not sure what could be big unless I missed something.
BASF? I assume that's the old Ciba Geicy/Tom's River Chemical property?

Yeeeeaahh... I've been hearing they wanna turn that into a park/nature preserve. Don't ask why, I don't know either. Almost all the other land near the ROW is rapidly being developed so no real spots for a new customer or transload location will soon exist. Furthermore, C&D has zero interest in anything past Woodhaven right now AFAIK.

Only other potential would be for Fort Dix if they ever need a train again or if by some miracle the sand trains start running.

by JohnFromJersey

Well, if something "big" is planned in Toms River, NJT is involved, and there aren't any (major) potential customers on that line, the only thing I can think of is NJT is planning some sort of commuter opportunity here? Or perhaps, C&D will be running some sort of excursion/shuttle to connection points with NJT as a stop-gap for the lack of public transportation options in the area? I find both of those extremely unlikely, but if the latter is the case, C&D has a lot of experience running excursion trains.

Highly unlikely industry (besides the green energy stuff like the solar panels already there) will ever return to the BASF site, the NJDEP/EPA will make sure that never happens
I have been saying this from the get-go and no one ever seemed to agree with me.
  by AceMacSD

greyhairedpete wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 am
jdh823 wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am
That is definitely a possibility!
No pot stirring here. Per my guy down there in TR those Dot & Jersey Transit trucks are in those parts annually doing what ever it is that they do. Inspection mapping etc etc etc.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 9:33 am I'm hoping it's not for anything bad. Some of my other pals told me a NJT supervisor rode with the JB2 a few weeks ago and took pictures of everything they did...

JB2 Northbound at DCS LAKEWOOD 10:33 am

4 empties, they had 2 for Woodhaven today.

I doubt it was an NJT supervisor riding with them, then again, who knows.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: ↑Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 am
BASF? I assume that's the old Ciba Geicy/Tom's River Chemical property?

Yeeeeaahh... I've been hearing they wanna turn that into a park/nature preserve. Don't ask why, I don't know either. Almost all the other land near the ROW is rapidly being developed so no real spots for a new customer or transload location will soon exist. Furthermore, C&D has zero interest in anything past Woodhaven right now AFAIK.

Only other potential would be for Fort Dix if they ever need a train again or if by some miracle the sand trains start running.

Nothing is going to the military bases. Speaking of did ya see the Facebook page? Some one put on pics of those jersey transit cars at the base. That's all the rail action you'll see on those bases.
  by Bracdude181

@Acemac Ive been asking around about this guy and thats what im being told. A few of the people i asked told me hes been down here before, during the 2005-06 tie replacement Conrail did and during the 2015 replacement of two bridges between Lakewood and Lakehurst. Why has he been down here? And why during his ride along did he take so many pictures? He literally filmed EVERYTHING! The track, the engines, the crew doing switching moves, etc.

Regarding the increasing NJDOT presence, I have never seen them down here this frequently before and neither has anyone I asked, some of whom have been around for 30+ years. During the shared assets era I only ever recall seeing them once or twice year, not counting times they were present for crossing resurfacing.

One more thing, a survey crew was at the Whitesville Road crossing earlier this afternoon. Unsure what it's for but it might be for a traffic light? Whole ton of markings at that crossing...

by AceMacSD

Maybe he works for the railroad and that's his business.
Nj Dot & transit are down in those parts all the time for their inspections etc etc. My pal told me he saw them by the old trestle by the parkway. Maybe they are planning something or maybe it's just routine. The state's gotta lot of work going on. Lotta projects on the horizon.
  by Bracdude181

Approaching DCS LAKEWOOD 11:28 AM

Survey crew at 4th street...

by Bracdude181

West through Farmingdale 12:10 pm.

AT&T markings going up at many crossings between Freehold and Lakewood. From what I've been hearing, every crossing between Farmingdale and MIller Road in Howell need new electric meter boxes and wiring to the relay cases which will require digging up the old wire, hence why the AT&T markings are there.

@Acemac Nope, they were never down here that much during the Conrail times barring road resurfacing.

by AceMacSD

You probably didn't see them but my guy whose on the town committee there says they've been going down there for as long as he can remember into the CR times. But they'll be making more of a presence.