Railroad Forums 

• NJ announces 2021 rail construction grants

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1570083  by JohnFromJersey

CR7876 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:40 pm
R&DB wrote: Does anyone know when the last time a train actually moved between Freehold and Farmingdale in either direction?
1989. There was a high and wide move from Browns to Lakehurst via the Freehold.
"High and wide"? What does that mean?

Also, once FIT and SOUS effectively merge, what does this mean for the two separate topics? Will the moderators try to merge them into one or the other (probably the CR on the Southern one), create a new topic, or will they remain separate?
 #1570085  by R&DB

CR7876 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:40 pm
R&DB wrote: Does anyone know when the last time a train actually moved between Freehold and Farmingdale in either direction?
1989. There was a high and wide move from Browns to Lakehurst via the Freehold.
Thank you.
 #1570134  by GSC

High and Wide is simply an oversized car or load, larger than standard railcars. Have to look up exactly what a "standard" car is. Most likely a flat car load, like a generator or transformer or some industrial piece far too big for highway transport. (I used to work for a specialized carrier trucking company that hauled oversized loads. Loved that work)
 #1570208  by JohnFromJersey

CR7876 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1685132

Not my picture. Based on the date, this might actually be the move.
Love the 7/11 cigarette billboard in the background peeling away.

Definitely an off-topic/wild speculation, but if a private company that has worked alongside NJT in the past, upgrades and takes over the Southern and FIT, could that revive MOM plans? If D&D could get the tracks up to Class 1 or 2, and if they install sidings/double track with some of their plans with old rail, that would significantly reduce the costs and work that the state did not want to pay and do themselves. Not to mention, NIMBY's would have less of an argument over concerns about train frequency if D&D does that anyway, which it seems like they will.
 #1570758  by JohnFromJersey

With the recent derailment by Stavola, I've been wondering, what will they do with Farmingdale-Red Bank? AFAIK, there only customers on this leg are between Farmingdale-Earle, and any other potential ones would only be as far up as Eatontown, right where that bridge that can't allow Plate F under it - and there would still be a ways to Red Bank from there (~10ish miles or so, I've heard).

I don't think any of the grant money is going to go towards that sect of the Southern, and I doubt D&D will use it for anything major after Freehold-Farmingdale is done. What will happen to it, will it be rail banked or something? Sorry if it's off-topic
 #1570774  by CharlieL

Just a thought - - the fiscal year for New Jersey begins July 1. Possible the grant money to C&D will not be available until then, hence any activity will not happen before July, and probably end of summer while everyone gets their ducks lined up ?
 #1570827  by JohnFromJersey

CR7876 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:36 am That portion of the line is owned by NJDOT, so it wont go anywhere.
NJDOT owns the FIT and TRIT, and look how they have held up the last two decades or so.

@CharlieL
D&D is putting up some of their own many, according to the grant. They might be doing light work, like brush clearing and prep work, in the time being, until the fiscal year begins.
 #1573045  by CharlieL

Nothing done so far on the FIT between end of track at Okerson rd and the connection to the southern. It's anybody's guess as to when it might start though I suspect the D&D would like to get on it rather quickly.

As an aside, I noticed the rails used between the switch in Freehold crossing Railroad Ave to the FIT appear to be heavier than those on the southern in that area. I did not actually look, just a perception I got while driving by.
 #1573046  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm Nothing done so far on the FIT between end of track at Okerson rd and the connection to the southern. It's anybody's guess as to when it might start though I suspect the D&D would like to get on it rather quickly.

As an aside, I noticed the rails used between the switch in Freehold crossing Railroad Ave to the FIT appear to be heavier than those on the southern in that area. I did not actually look, just a perception I got while driving by.
I believe someone said here that Jersey's *new* fiscal year starts July 1, where D&D will probably get the money for this project. We're still in FY2020.

And yeah I'd expect the switch to be heavier than the rest of the Southern since they did switch work to it a year or two ago. I wonder if they are gonna try to make the entire SOUS heavier since most of it, especially around Farmingdale, is still lighter rail from the 30's. We will have to wait and see.

In addition, just a wild thought, I think that if Red Bank-Farmingdale gets seldom used after this project, and the Gateway Tunnels *actually* happen, I can see NJT starting a limited/starting form of the MOM line, with it terminating by the old asphalt plant on Asbury Rd in Farmingdale or terminating somewhere in Freehold.