Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1239237  by bmwr12

jrzwalker86 wrote:The track going into the old Ceiba Geigy/Toms River chemical plant is being cleared starting at Rt. 37.

That was done over the summer.
Last edited by bmwr12 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1239257  by southern sec. kid

I had some time to go down there today and check the area out. There was some brush cutting done. Didn't look too new though. Those tracks are in some rough condition and they are just as bad on the other side of 37. Some big trees have already grown over those tracks in the past few years.
 #1239332  by bmwr12

I assume the clearing was done to service the utility poles that go there. Those tracks have been overgrown and unused for at least 15-20 years.
 #1240708  by carajul

Why doesn't the lumber yard just before the Rt 37xing/Ciba still get rail service? It looks like the spur is still in place and they look like a big operation. I can't understand why all these local customers stopped rail service in the past 10 years. Wonder if RR management had anything to do with it. I've emailed a few of these businesses actually and a few actually responded. Said it's so expensive to ship by rail locally they transload from A'town yard and other simlilar places and truck it into NJ.
 #1240766  by bmwr12

I think they stopped being served by rail in late 2005.They were the last active customer once Columbia propane was sold/downsized. They have transferred material by truck from the Freehold location ever since. They probably ceased rail operation because it was the only customer on the line south of Lakewood. I don't know how the railroad works but I am assuming that Conrail wanted them to pay the extra to pay to keep the TRIT in service since they were the lone customer. If you were going to see service again it would have been after Hurricane Sandy and it didn't happen. If CIBA or some other new customer opened along the line then they may decide to use it again. The only hope for anything to return to the TRIT in my opinion hinges on the success of the upcoming sand trains.
 #1241752  by GSC

It was around 1981-82 or so, and four 2-foot x 4-foot x 80-foot wood laminate bridge beams were delivered by rail to that lumber yard, for a road and pedestrian bridge being built in the (then) new park across Rt. 37. I was the one who hauled them from the railhead to the park location, just a few mile trip. I was working for a heavy hauling trucking outfit at the time.

The flat cars were spotted on the spur that ran across to Ciba, right up to the road.
 #1552983  by Bracdude181

The Bimini Drive railroad crossing on the TRIT has been marked for repairs. Two sections of brand new rails are sitting on the side of the road and construction markings have been sprayed on and near the tracks...
 #1552994  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:The Bimini Drive railroad crossing on the TRIT has been marked for repairs. Two sections of brand new rails are sitting on the side of the road and construction markings have been sprayed on and near the tracks...
I believe this is the last of the 2020 NJDOT crossing repairs for the Southern Sec this year.
 #1553002  by RailsEast

This must mean that the TRIT is close to being reactivated. This is great news!

(Otherwise, it's another embarrassing example of the state of affairs in NJ; this line has been dormant for well over a decade.)
 #1553072  by R&DB

Don't get your hopes up too soon. This is probably a bureaucratic mistake or a case of too many complaints of a rough crossing by the township's residents. But it does prove NJDOT has no plans to abandon the TRIT.
 #1553080  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am Don't get your hopes up too soon. This is probably a bureaucratic mistake or a case of too many complaints of a rough crossing by the township's residents. But it does prove NJDOT has no plans to abandon the TRIT.
What could possibly be done with the TRIT at this time? I don't think any businesses on it are interested in doing business with it, unless this is to keep it for a future MOM line project. I believe that there's a bus station next to/near the TRIT at some point, so I could see that being a major terminal station.