Railroad Forums 

• NYGL Dundee Spur Status - 2009-present

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1535806  by DogBert

ClearlyDiverging wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:46 am
Dcell wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:43 am Does Mr Wilson still operate a railroad based in Callicoon NY? That’s the last I knew and he’s been AWOL in this tale about the demise of the NY&GL Railroad. He could answer alot of existing questions that we have.
I'm not sure why you think anyone here is entitled to answers to the questions you have. Unless you're a stake holder in the NY&GL, (and I know no one here is) then what has been published is sufficient. Business didn't pay it's taxes. Government seized the property to settle the debt. Government sold the property, new property owner disposed of the equipment as they saw fit. I don't see what else needs to be asked.
He certainly doesn't owe anyone answers, but there's definitely a story here that people will be curious about. I'm most intrigued about how the line saw a brief revival. Did the new property owner even know?

Even if us casual nerds never get to hear his side of things, there's overall relief that at least the equipment has some chance of reuse now. No matter what happened, Wilson kept that line alive longer than anyone else would, and did what he could to preserve other routes. In a world of too many words, he took action where he could.
 #1535854  by New Haven 1

I hope someone is there besides a news crew to record the removal of the equipment. At least that way the last moves over the rails before they themselves are removed will be preserved on video. Thank God someone captured the Alco going in to rescue the U34CH.
 #1548999  by DogBert

The fact that this is in court again shows how bad all these folks are at communicating with each other. The developer has his prized property, the city could begin cleaning out the unoccupied yard tracks... or help with any effort to relocate the trains... instead they rather be at each others throats.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 527732002/
 #1549107  by cjvrr

Actually it seems the railcar owner is still involved and unfortunately is unwilling or unable to make a decision to sell, donate, or scrap the remaining equipment.

I am going to guess this will not end well, again, and that equipment will end up scrapped either by court order or the land owner that wants the stuff out now.
 #1550993  by Dcell

The city's project will really beautify this area along the river. Hopefully, if it has any historical value, the rail cars can be moved to a museum organization. The railroad line itself has already been transformed from a dump site and vagrant hangout
 #1551409  by therudycometh

cjvrr wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm Actually it seems the railcar owner is still involved and unfortunately is unwilling or unable to make a decision to sell, donate, or scrap the remaining equipment.

I am going to guess this will not end well, again, and that equipment will end up scrapped either by court order or the land owner that wants the stuff out now.
Actually... assuming that the land owner acquires possession of the equipment in 12 days (if the current owner doesn't remove it before then), Operation Toy Train has a standing agreement with the land owner, who has agreed to donate all 13 pieces of equipment to OTT for removal and preservation. We're not planning on scrapping anything. I'll have more info in about two weeks if that is the course of action that transpires.... we've literally been waiting around since February for the case to make its way through the courts, and it's finally reaching a conclusion.
 #1552806  by Dcell

This saga has come to its conclusion. Kudos to the developer who purchased the run down and derelict rail line, for donating the abandoned rail cars to Operation Toy Train instead of selling off the equipment. Mayor Lora did what many of us locals considered the impossible -- gone are the vagrants and druggies who made this rail line their turf and instead we will have a path connection 2 parks along the river. Well done, sir!
https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 479921001/
 #1552952  by airman00

Well it is still sad to see ANOTHER railroad line in NJ disappear. From what I know, northern NJ used to be a hotbed of rails going every which way, and now alot of it is gone...
 #1552979  by DogBert

I'm often not a fan of real estate developers but Fadi Samaan did a wonderful thing donating the equipment. Losing a small RR that has seen little to no traffic isn't ideal, but seeing all those cars and locomotives get scrapped on site would have been a very bad end to the story. The old yard should make for some good park space, and the caboose they're keeping will be a nice historic nod.

I'd love to see that FA back on LI but I suspect neither museum has the cash to get it delivered, much less maintain it forever thereafter.