Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1549671  by RailsEast

CSX 4452, NS 5628 with 14 for Woodhaven; Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 5:10 in the pm on a rare Friday run....
 #1549727  by CR7876

Coast Line Railfan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:59 am
JDRails wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56 am Where exactly is RIVER, and when would that replacement occur? Would love to see the long transfer freight heading to Browns from MIDWAY.
RIVER is the control point on the bridge over the Raritan River. Railroad west is ESSAY in South Amboy, and railroad east in WOOD north of Perth Amboy station. It would also make more sense to route traffic in Morrisville, and have a transfer job run from there to Browns and back, since the distance is much less than Oak Island. It also means less Corridor running, which is always a good thing in the eyes of Amtrak.
Part of the problem with the NJT connection at River is that the new bridge project does not correct the low bridges at Perth Amboy. Allowing no cars higher that 16'3 does not allow for future growth. A Amtrak connection in either direction would allow High cars into Browns. Current or future customers that can use high cars would not be at a competitive disadvantage locating in the Browns terminal.

I agree that changing the serving terminal from Oak Island to Morrisville would be easier and remove a shove move at Midway.
 #1549800  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 Would you happen to know if the ROW from Monmouth Junction to Morrisville is good for Plate F cars weighing 286000 pounds loaded? That seems to be the current standard in most cases and being able to bring those cars into Sayerville would definitely give freight shippers in Central NJ a competitive advantage.

I had been hearing rumors that they wanted to run from Oak Island to Monmouth Junction. While not the most efficient routing it would allow for shipping of freight cars meeting the previously mentioned standard, while also providing the opportunity to bring in cars that NJ Transit currently doesn't allow on the coast line. (They don't allow refrigerated boxcars or flatbed cars with a spine frame) Another thing that could help would be to reopen the line between Freehold and Farmingdale, as they could then access the SOUS without having to deal with NJ Transits restrictions or operating windows.
 #1550166  by Bracdude181

While helping out a friend in Lakehurst today I noticed that there was tire tracks on the rails at the Union Ave crossing. I checked the entire line from Lakehurst to Woodmansie and found that fallen trees had been removed and weeds close the rails appeared to have been run over. The same tire tracks seen in Lakehurst were also at all the railroad crossings I checked. Looks like a high-rail truck went down the line recently....
 #1550208  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:53 pm While helping out a friend in Lakehurst today I noticed that there was tire tracks on the rails at the Union Ave crossing. I checked the entire line from Lakehurst to Woodmansie and found that fallen trees had been removed and weeds close the rails appeared to have been run over. The same tire tracks seen in Lakehurst were also at all the railroad crossings I checked. Looks like a high-rail truck went down the line recently....
Good info but belongs in the topic labeled:
CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations
Below Union Ave is owned by Clayton Block and Sand with CMSL / NJSL as designated operator, not Conrail.
 #1550237  by Bracdude181

The railroad crossings on Academy Street and Railroad Ave in farmingdale are set to close within a few weeks to be rebuilt. The Railroad Ave crossing hasn't been used since Gold Lumber burned down, so hopefully it being rebuilt is a sign that it will be used soon...
 #1550737  by OCtrainguy

I was at the office today and went to Farmingdale after work to try and catch the SA31. Not sure what happened, but no sighting of the train as of 7:15 pm this evening.
 #1550751  by RailsEast

A report from the field indicated that there was a tree down just north of the Auction, so the crew shut down until mow forces could clear the line. I was not there, just reporting what was conveyed to me....
 #1550789  by Coast Line Railfan

RailsEast wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:53 pm A report from the field indicated that there was a tree down just north of the Auction, so the crew shut down until mow forces could clear the line. I was not there, just reporting what was conveyed to me....
The culprit was near the overpass of Esperance Road, and they got moving around 9:30.
 #1550888  by OCtrainguy

RailsEast wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:53 pm A report from the field indicated that there was a tree down just north of the Auction, so the crew shut down until mow forces could clear the line. I was not there, just reporting what was conveyed to me....
Yep. that's what I heard later that evening, a tree was blocking the tracks.

Just some irony that two weeks ago when I was at the office, the remnants of the hurricane shut down the Coast Line, so no train. This past Thursday, again at the office, the train ran, but due to the tree issue, I wasn't able to see it.