• Danbury Railway Museum Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

• 133 posts
  by andre

Havent had a chance to post in the past couple of weeks, (taking care of some stuff at home) however I was up last weekend.

We began preliminary work on the roof, identifying spots where leaks may penetrate in the future, preping the roof to be primed will be the current concentration. Devising a way to clean the rust off the roof (steel wool and a light detergent) Also ran into a slight obstacle with the window frames as they still contain their original shades and in order to remove the frame that holds the window pane in place you need to first remove the window shades then the brackets then the frame will come out. Nothing a little soaking in WD-40 cant do.

Also we did some minor work on cleaning up the pantographs (scraped about a good centimeter of caked up and dried grease off the chain of it and relubed it. to ensure that no water can penetrate the fine/small parts of the pantograph.

Pictures will be posted soon.
  by Otto Vondrak

andre wrote: Devising a way to clean the rust off the roof (steel wool and a light detergent).
Mechanical needle scalers are what you need. Not steel wool and detergent. You'll be up there for months.

Now ask me how I know about removing old tar and paint from a steel roof without damaging it. Go on, ask...

http://rgvrrm.blogspot.com/2012/04/time ... -c254.html

-otto-
  by DutchRailnut

needle scalers on a stainless steel roof ???, one quike way to send those cars to scrapper.
  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:needle scalers on a stainless steel roof ???, one quick way to send those cars to scrapper.
Go on, I'm listening...
  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:needle scalers on a stainless steel roof ???, one quick way to send those cars to scrapper.
Go on, I'm listening...

no paint currently on the roof, roof isnt stainless either, (carbon steel) no need for a needle scaler on the roof (perhaps for the ends on some spots but not the roof)
  by Otto Vondrak

andre wrote:no paint currently on the roof, roof isnt stainless either, (carbon steel) no need for a needle scaler on the roof (perhaps for the ends on some spots but not the roof)
If there's no paint on the roof, why are you going up there with steel wool? Unless you enjoy hard work?

-otto-
  by Cosmo

Otto Vondrak wrote:
andre wrote:no paint currently on the roof, roof isnt stainless either, (carbon steel) no need for a needle scaler on the roof (perhaps for the ends on some spots but not the roof)
If there's no paint on the roof, why are you going up there with steel wool? Unless you enjoy hard work?

-otto-
Heeheehee, guys... this is getting to be like an Abbot and Costello routine. :razz:

Andre, can you please tell us just how much of what is on the roof so we can comprehend why you want to use "steel wool and detergent"?
  by Ridgefielder

gregorygrice wrote:Another small time lapse up showing yesterday's work. All of the insulators have been cleared out and stored, and other work was done.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/1McS8cyQbI0
Have to say it's very cool that so much of the original interior was still intact under all the junk.
  by gregorygrice

Photos from the roof work will be up later today.
  by gregorygrice

First set of photos from last saturday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by gregorygrice

Second set
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by gregorygrice

Third set. Video will be up soon
  by andre

Cosmo wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-
Heeheehee, guys... this is getting to be like an Abbot and Costello routine. :razz:

Andre, can you please tell us just how much of what is on the roof so we can comprehend why you want to use "steel wool and detergent"?
lots and lots of dust and rust that needs to be scrubbed off. Cant paint over dirt grime and rust it will just flake off, always best to paint on a clean prepped surface

in the long run it will allow a very nice even smooth paint job that will last longer.
  by Jeff Smith

A little "cross-promotion" in case you guys want to rent some of your "equipment" to Hollywood!

Railroads in Television Thread recently discussing "Mad Men" and 4400's.
  by Otto Vondrak

I made a brief visit to the DRM on Sunday... Arrived too late for a Budd car ride, but I managed to entertain myself with my own self-guided tour.

A few thoughts: The New Haven-painted RS-1 could use a coat of wax. Would bring the shine right back out of the finish.

The rest of the equipment: The rust is really starting to take over a lot of pieces in the yard. At this point, even getting a coat of primer on some of these pieces would help improve the look of the displays until proper paint can be applied. Some pieces just need a little clean-up to remove the rust. Unfortunately, that's the first thing I notice when I walk the yard, is how much stuff is rusting badly. And rust does not look good to the public.

-otto-