Railroad Forums 

• Danbury Railway Museum Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1031480  by DutchRailnut

If you check fluting you see there is no difference in window size
 #1031542  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:Here's an undated photo of New Haven washboards sailing through the old Columbus Avenue station in Mount Vernon. The concrete supports for the old NYW&B viaduct and station can be seen at left. I don't know who the photographer is, unfortunately.
Its not the Height of the windows that is larger, its the actual width of the window panes. On the standard washboard coaches the windows are "split" as where on the Parlor/Club car the windows are wider more like a standard size coach window

compare to this picture for example:

http://pc.railfan.net/pics/equip/washboard.jpg
 #1031637  by Tadman

Are you guys trying to save that stuff in the car? If not, why not just roll a dumpster up to the side of the car and start pitching stuff out the baggage door?
 #1031656  by andre

A lot of the metal items will be put to other uses around the yard
 #1031798  by DutchRailnut

ever try to dispose of something in a Museum ??? not possible, one group wants to trash it , another group sees its great value.
The stuff in those two cars has been pushed around for 10 years now and its still same pile of trash.
 #1031892  by andre

DutchRailnut wrote:ever try to dispose of something in a Museum ??? not possible, one group wants to trash it , another group sees its great value.
The stuff in those two cars has been pushed around for 10 years now and its still same pile of trash.
true,

i was actually surprised when we found those I beams under the pipes and under the I beams was the original floor...
 #1031996  by Ridgefielder

andre wrote:Great photo Otto,

Iv been doing alot of searching online for photos of the washboards Front Ends while in service to be as historically accurate as possible

However i think the picture there is a very rare catch, look at the windows you will see that they are actually a bit larger then the standard washboard cars, i think this might be one of the Parlor Cars
Something I just noticed- the side panels have the script "New York, New Haven and Hartford" herald instead of the McGinnis "NH." Was that common practice?
 #1032125  by DutchRailnut

Forest Glen wrote:Essex Valley Railroad was more fun than Danbury IMO, but it is not directly accessible by Metro-North.
now here were getting off topic...
 #1032202  by andre

DutchRailnut wrote:
Forest Glen wrote:Essex Valley Railroad was more fun than Danbury IMO, but it is not directly accessible by Metro-North.
now here were getting off topic...

lol agreed,
 #1032791  by andre

#1032999  by Otto Vondrak

Hey Andre-

Nice pics. Have a few questions...

- Is it your plan to restore these cars to their as-delivered New Haven appearance?

- What does that restoration entail? New floor? Replace seats? New wall finishing? Paint? Decals/vinyl lettering?

- You working with any groups like NHRHTA to get accurate paint color codes and lettering diagrams?

- How many guys working on this with you?

- What's your budget like? How much fundraising will you have to do?

They're neat cars, would be nice to see them get some TLC and make them a showpiece.

-otto-