Railroad Forums 

• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1010443  by Trainlover479

Oh cosmo..... is this what you do to everyone or just me? and there wasnt anything wrong with that statement eather. Though they do alot of restorations...
 #1010449  by Reader#108

Did Dylan change his screen name?

All I can hear is a parade of triangles clanging.....smh.........

Yes...Strasburg is the premier steam shop in the east......maybe second only to UP shops in the country.

The 250 is a done deal......unless you have about a million bucks.....a place to run her when she is restored

people to do the work......and are you going to be able to pry her out of John's hands?

DOUBTFUL. Maybe he will restore it and run it down the Cape.

DOUBTFUL.
 #1010452  by Trainlover479

Well i have to admit, that it is people like you that surely just keep bringing our hopes down, but i will never loose my determination. I know that edaville is struggling to survive, and that john love money, for the right price it can be purchased and moved out of there.
 #1010466  by Reader#108

Yeah, he's gonna let the centerpiece of the train collection go for a song and dance.

He is first and foremost, a business man. If he sees value in it he will hold on to it.

There is a reason that both the 250 and the F10 are still there.......they hold some value.

You mistake negativity for truth and knowledge.

It needs a boiler, firebox, probably wheels, all new running gear etc, etc.....

It is going to take a shop that has the experience and room to make it happen, but most

of all it is gonna take $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....and lots of it. Remember, it hasn't run

since 1985 and sat in Concord NH exposed to the elements for years.
 #1010470  by Cosmo

Trainlover479 wrote:Well i have to admit, that it is people like you that surely just keep bringing our hopes down, but i will never loose my determination. I know that edaville is struggling to survive, and that john love money, for the right price it can be purchased and moved out of there.
And move it WHERE?
And do WHAT with it, and with what MONEY? On WHO'S TRACKS? Killing your hope? I'm just trying to get you back down to EARTH guy, cuz right now you're so far out you're in ORBIT!
(Hence.. the Star Trek refs.)
Do you have ANY idea what a new boiler for that thing would cost? And like I pointed out, there are other problems besides the boiler that would preclude it's use for hauling the public around behind it. Things that were cut. Things that were welded. Things that don't grow on trees! Things that are no longer carried in stock by a dozen or so locomotive manufacturers!

Ok, ok... would I like to see it run? SURE! But things were done to that engine already that would make it's return to steam a NIGHTMARE!
Do I wish that those things done to it were NOT done? OF COURSE!
But now that that kind of damage is already done to it, I would MUCH rather see it displayed in a place and in such a way that kids can have fun playing SAFELY on it rather than having it sit in pieces in some guy's backyard rusting away because a restoration was started and never finished because said guy ran out of money because they had no CLUE what kind of quagmire they were getting into with it.
That sort of thing has happened in the past. It's a "nobody wins" situation, and I do NOT wish that upon 250 or any other locomotive.
Now, if the thing was straight off the Wolfeboro with only the damage, wear and tear that it got from being run there, that would be a MUCH different situation. Then I would be ALL about, at the very least, preserving the engine in such a way that a future restoration COULD be done sometime.

Now, all that being said, here's what it boils down to...
COULD a new boiler be made? Yes. COULD all the damaged parts be either fixed, replaced or re fabricated from scratch? YES!
Is there any railroad in New England currently operating that would even CONSIDER that particular locomotive worth the expense based on what it would cost to fix vs the potential capacity to pay for itself over time?
No.
Is there any way a fledgling operation (like, say, the DESR, just for example,) with a few cars and a diesel could feasibly make it financially worthwhile to restore 250 for operation and make it pay off?
I do not know of any.
B&ML tried to do something like that with their engine from Sweden, which didn't have HALF the problems that 250 now has, and couldn't make it work, for whatever reasons. Basically, time ran out on the Swedish engine and they were either unable or unwilling to go on without it. So, if nothing else, that proves that whoever or whatever operation should ever try to undertake such a thing today should have "a pile of $$" already on hand before attempting such an operation AND not be solely dependent on the steamer to provide them the revenue.

So,...
unless you are an operator who already has a successful and financially stable operation going with income well and above mere operating capitol to spare in expending upon a project that will, no DOUBT run the operator into the THOUSANDS, if not HUNDRED-OR-MORE THOUSAND,...
...not to mention a SHOP geared for steam...
...and people on hand who are able to fabricate the necessary parts to keep a locomotive like that going, (because nobody makes them anymore,)...
...OH, AND insurance, AND operating capitol for a steam operation, AND an EPA approved coal storage facility, AND an EPA approved pit to park it over, AND an EPA approved ash-disposal site....
...are you beginning to get the picture?
 #1010493  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:If you're saying they have all the time in the world to go out to the Cape and look at dead engines for free, or worse, for gratis-minus-gas-minus-park admission....
Bingo
Cosmo wrote:correct in your assessment that they have other, far more pressing matters to attend to.
Thank you Capitain Obvious....the world is safe from sarcasm yet again....LMAO...yes, the above is what I meant. 97 Just got taken out of service, so I knew that they were getting ready for yet another 1472 and form 4.
Trainlover479 wrote:He said it would need a new boiler....
Running an engine hard doesn't mean it needs a whole new boiler. This is what I am trying to get you people to understand. Does it need everything from the first corse back? The wrapper sheets and throat sheets done? We have heard that it needs a crown sheet, but that doesn't mean the barrel is bad. How many of the courses are spungy?
By the way, I know a few of the guys at Strasburg VERY VERY well. They do some awsome work, but yet again....you get what you pay for, and if you want a new boiler from the burgh....plan on at least $250,000.00 fo an all welded boiler of the 250 size. They don't mess around at that shop.
Reader#108 wrote: The 250 is a done deal......unless you have about a million bucks.....
I'm sure that it's not a done deal....no engine is a done deal until it's cut up.

[quote="Reader #108].....a place to run her when she is restored[/quote]

If you build it, they will come. Look at the Flagg Coal and other traveling engines. If they didn't make money at it, they wouldn't do it. There are quite a few engines that travel around to different places and properties. It's not hard to do. We here in New England are just leary of this kind of operation because it doesn't happen very often, and the locomotives that we have are all "spoken for". The engine that I work on went out to Sacramento CA for railfair.
Cosmo, the issues at the B&ML had nothing to do with the engine, and everything to do with one of your CSRX buddies forgetting to pay the lease payment. There was nothing wrong with that trainset. Hence the reason it was purchased by Great Smokey Mountain for return to service. Do a little google search on it, you will find the documents all about it.
 #1010517  by Trainlover479

ok, everything else seems easy compared to finding the railroad to run the 250 on.. It would be nice to use the Wolfeboro Railroad once again but thats close to impossible. There are several railroads i think id like to see it run on, for example, the "Lincoln and Tilton", the CSRR (thats a mabey...most likely no), or on a branch in maine because of their lack of standard guage steam...
 #1010524  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote: Thank you Capitain Obvious....the world is safe from sarcasm yet again....LMAO...yes, the above is what I meant. 97 Just got taken out of service, so I knew that they were getting ready for yet another 1472 and form 4.
Railroaders everywhere sleep soundly tonight.
steamer69 wrote:
Trainlover479 wrote:He said it would need a new boiler....
Running an engine hard doesn't mean it needs a whole new boiler. This is what I am trying to get you people to understand. Does it need everything from the first course back? The wrapper sheets and throat sheets done? We have heard that it needs a crown sheet, but that doesn't mean the barrel is bad. How many of the courses are spongy?
No, but being left out in the elements with the stack uncapped very well could.
steamer69 wrote: ...plan on at least $250,000.00 for an all welded boiler of the 250 size. They don't mess around at that shop.
Thank you! I was having trouble finding a dollar figure sum on the web.
steamer69 wrote: If you build it, they will come.
If I only had a dollar for every time I heard THAT!
steamer69 wrote: Look at the Flagg Coal and other traveling engines.
SO,... how bad off was the FC 0-4-0 BEFORE it was restored?
steamer69 wrote: If they didn't make money at it, they wouldn't do it.
No, try: "If they had no source of income INDEPENDENT of the locomotive's operation, they COULDN'T do it.
steamer69 wrote: There are quite a few engines that travel around to different places and properties. It's not hard to do.
Look at the difference in size between the FC 0-4-0 saddletanker and WRR 250. Just LOOK!
steamer69 wrote: Cosmo, the issues at the B&ML had nothing to do with the engine, and everything to do with one of your CSRX buddies forgetting to pay the lease payment. There was nothing wrong with that trainset. Hence the reason it was purchased by Great Smokey Mountain for return to service. Do a little google search on it, you will find the documents all about it.
Look, I'm NOT going to get back into CSRX or who-worked-where or why or when. The point is, they picked up the engine for a song in good working order...
...then GETTYSBURG happened.
Now, yes, there was (supposedly) crown sheet work needed done on that locomotive as well, BUT...
almost everything else on it was GOOD. She needed her Form 4 done but she was in a LOT better shape than the 250 by far! Someone with the $$ for the tube removal/ultrasound/replacement picked it up eventually and now it has a new home.
Can we agree on that? OK? Cool.
The fact of the matter is, if it was as easy as you'd like us to believe, then why didn't the Brooks Depot Historical group just pick it up, keep it there and run with it? It's not HARD, right?
Back to the FC 0-4-0 for just a moment...
While I don't know if they [Flagg Coal et all] have a railroad of their own to operate on themselves, I DO know they have
1) a SHOP
2)Insurance!
3) The means to make it affordable to operate/lease and maintain it themselves, so...
...if one wants to see steam operate in New England on a line that doesn't already, would not that particular RR be better off renting the FC engine than investing thousands-upon-thousands into an engine that has sat uncared for for over 20 years, hasn't seen steam or regular maintenance for 30 yrs and has who knows how many problems and issues?
Last time I checked, there was not a HUGE market in New England for traveling locomotives. You need the bucks AND the market before you even begin the work.
Yes, smart people with money can make something like that work, BUT...
...smart people with money have already given up on 250 and gone elsewhere (like... CHINA.)
 #1010532  by Trainlover479

The people who own Flagg Coal Co 75 own 2 traveling tank engines, they just travel, they dont have a railroad of their own, only other railroads. Back to 250 i will SOMEDAY have her run on a railroad. I know it will take alot of time/effort/money/support, but i want it to run. im planning on going to carver to see 250 to take a look at it, havent seen what it is like in some time now.
 #1010557  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:Look at the difference in size between the FC 0-4-0 saddletanker and WRR 250. Just LOOK!
So we can talk about bigger ones then as well.

SF 3751 (4-8-4)
SP 4449 (4-8-4)
SP&S 700 (4-8-4)
OR&N 197 (4-6-2)
MILW 261 (4-8-4)

Do I need to go on? I can...there are PLENTY of locomotives that do it. I agree with your arguements Pete, you make some very good points, but look at some of the main line greats that are out there running now. The people who have brought them back to life had to listen to the same "it can't be done" crap....and it was done. All I'm saying is that it is possible, and doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. I think that 250 deserves at least concideration of this, as a real main line restoration will bring dividends of cash. Look at the case of OR&N 197. They set a goal of raising $5,500,000 for that group and so far have raised $4,574,000. Where that come from? They (as well as her stable mates the SP&S 700 and the SP 4449) have no railroad to call their own. Insurance is not the be all and end all that you claim it to be. All you have to do is call one of the people that sell it, and pay for it. Shop space is an issue, but not the end of the world that we are trying to make it. There are places to do it (I know of one right off the top of my head that wouldn't charge too much in rent). This is the reason that we have no medium or large main line steam in New England. People are way to willing to shirk the work and dump on people who want to do it. There are at least 10 engines off the top of my head that prove your arguement very dead wrong....
 #1010569  by Cosmo

Ok, yeah, sure right....
...aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnndddd...
...how many of those locomotives have YOU seen visiting NEW ENGLAND recently?
(yeah,... didn't think so. Me either.) Underscoring my point that FC's advantage (as well as some of the other "small" engines, like the actual operating version of Thomas) can actually be put on a TRUCK and moved, thus avoiding the interchange problems that keep those bigger engines OUT WEST.
Ok, look at it this way...
...there's REASONS none of those big engines come out THIS way.
For one thing, UP, having it's own steam program is better able and equipped to support.
When's the last time you heard about CSX (not to be confused with the OTHER RR way up North,) allowing someone to move anything with friction bearing trucks over their lines?
Speaking of trucks, had a look any time recently at the 250's? I'm willing to bet they've got bigger problems than just the style of the journal bearings...
 #1010578  by Trainlover479

Cosmo, u really should be a little less negitive, 250 WILL steam someday, Everyone was like you when NKP was put on display, but then a group of people got together and restored it to operation........OUTSIDE without major shop equipment.
 #1010588  by Cosmo

Trainlover479 wrote:Cosmo, u really should be a little less negative, 250 WILL steam someday, Everyone was like you when NKP was put on display, but then a group of people got together and restored it to operation........OUTSIDE without major shop equipment.
Yes. And it was in better condition and better taken care of than 250...

...and also never had it's BOILER separated from it's FRAME with a CUTTING TORCH!
I other words, KID... there's a REASON that NKP 765 is still operating and 250 is not.
 #1010599  by Trainlover479

Ok ok but mabey after alot of time and work that could be fixed...and to beat ur previous facepalm....
Attachments:
epic facepalm.jpg
epic facepalm.jpg (16.71 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
 #1010604  by NNR

Jeez cosmo let these people discuss the possibilitey of 250 returning to service. I know everytime you read something on RxR.net you run to JDC an ask him the question so you can anwser on the forumns. didn't you work as a deckhand on the valley RxRs riverboat?