Railroad Forums 

• Johnson Hall Museum , Wells , Maine

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1004911  by Pat Fahey

HI all

This is a bit off the regular subject , I was watching Chronicle on Channel 5 in the Boston area , on tonight program which was dealing with Collectors , they talked to the owner of the Johnson Hall Museum in Wells , Maine . In the program segment the owner said he was getting a Steam Locomotive delivered to his property the following week . He already had a cement pad down , for the engine .

My question is this , what type of Steam Locomotive did Mr. Johnson have delivered , to his museum . I did try a search on the web and came up with nothing . Is it possible that someone in the Maine area , could come up with and answer and maybe a photo . Thank you Pat
 #1005207  by MEC407

Wow, I'll have to take a look the next time I'm down that way. Thanks for the heads-up!
 #1010300  by markhb

I had never heard of it until this thread (and this thread actually makes the first page of Google results). Sounds fascinating! Not sure about the locomotive, but that same Google search turned up the article (from Yankee magazine, not Down East) and that says he does have a caboose.
 #1010485  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:I wonder if he is getting the Biddeford Station loco?
I don't think it's that one. I seem to remember hearing where that one was going, but it wasn't there.
 #1010508  by MEC407

Despite having grown up in Wells and having driven past Johnson Hall literally thousands of times, I've never been inside. I really do need to check it out. This review on Yelp makes me wish I could go today!
 #1041355  by MEC407

I was down that way recently, and if he's got a steam locomotive somewhere on the property, it's not visible from Route 1. It could be tucked away somewhere, I suppose. I wanted to go inside, but didn't have any cash on me for the admission fee, and it doesn't look like the kind of place that would take plastic. Maybe next time!
 #1070223  by MEC407

I still haven't been in, but hopefully before the summer is over I'll have a chance.

And here is an article from Boston.com that sheds more light on this very interesting place:
Boston.com wrote:The grounds feature an impressive collection of small historic buildings he has rescued – a 1783 blacksmith shop, an 1888 schoolhouse from North Berwick, jail cells.
The first stop is the train station from South Berwick, Maine, where Johnson’s mother boarded the Boston & Maine Railroad for the Boston Flower Show. His plan is to make it an ice cream parlor, but he’ll have to deal with his town matters before that.
Read more at: http://articles.boston.com/2012-08-05/m ... ll-johnson

(The article continues on a second page; be sure to click the little "2" at the bottom of the page to read the rest of the article)
 #1247526  by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:I was down that way recently, and if he's got a steam locomotive somewhere on the property, it's not visible from Route 1. It could be tucked away somewhere, I suppose. I wanted to go inside, but didn't have any cash on me for the admission fee, and it doesn't look like the kind of place that would take plastic. Maybe next time!
Sadly, there won't be a next time. :( Should've gone in when I had the chance...

From The Portland Press Herald:
The Portland Press Herald wrote:The quirky proprietor of a quirkier museum on Route 1 in Wells was in the thick of his constant quest to add to his collection when it suddenly ended Saturday.

Bill Johnson, 73, the Johnson Hall Museum’s owner, founder and tour guide, died while attending an auction at Bo-Mar Hall in Wells.
. . .
From player pianos to railroad stations, Mr. Johnson amassed a collection of antiques that’s drawn visitors from around the country...
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Feature ... ells_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kicking myself for not going in when I had so many opportunities to do so. :(
 #1247624  by Cosmo

Ok, let's not be hasty. It's not the end of EVERYTHING, and it's not necessarily the end of the museum per-se, just of Bill.
There seems to be going concern (as expressed in the article) amongst his immediate family for the collection and his dreams and love of history, so we may yet see the collection open again for public viewing.
Meanwhile, I'd encourage anyone up that way to contact the family and pledge whatever support possible.