Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1028920  by drvmusic

Cosmo wrote:
steamer69 wrote:It'll be nice to see lightning stripes on the mountain. Maybe they'll pair #1751 with "Old Sparkey" and let them go up the hill!
Speaking as a guy who's such a purist about preservation and so adamant about representing MEC (as opposed to the "B&M, which is already prevalent,) I fail to see how "lightning stripes" will look right in a locale that never saw NYC power.
I say, paint it forest green with the gold stripe to contrast with the gold & green of the newer units.
I agree...to a point. Was 1751 ever owned by an actual B&M/MEC/BAR or other local railroad? I'd like to see it in the scheme you mention, of course, but would that downgrade the authenticity of the actual loco? Tough call.
 #1028925  by Cosmo

drvmusic wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
steamer69 wrote:It'll be nice to see lightning stripes on the mountain. Maybe they'll pair #1751 with "Old Sparkey" and let them go up the hill!
Speaking as a guy who's such a purist about preservation and so adamant about representing MEC (as opposed to the "B&M, which is already prevalent,) I fail to see how "lightning stripes" will look right in a locale that never saw NYC power.
I say, paint it forest green with the gold stripe to contrast with the gold & green of the newer units.
I agree...to a point. Was 1751 ever owned by an actual B&M/MEC/BAR or other local railroad? I'd like to see it in the scheme you mention, of course, but would that downgrade the authenticity of the actual loco? Tough call.
Yeah, it's the same "argument" about the RS3 that the BSRM acquired that they plan to make NYNH&H, as opposed to the rinky-dink copper hauler it came from and (last I knew) is still painted for.
I say, if you take it upon yourself to "represent," then represent what and where you are. If you're representing "national" railroading (like Steamtown) then by all means, preserve the engine in it's original form, even if that locomotive never operated within a thousand miles of where you are. If you're more "regional," then keep things "consistent," with your regional theme and what people might have seen in that region "back in the day."
Now, I must say, Steamtown does a good job of both representing the local roads while also preserving most of it's stable in "original" condition, but they have a much larger collection from which to pick and choose.
 #1028926  by MEC407

drvmusic wrote:...would that downgrade the authenticity of the actual loco? Tough call.
Keep in mind this is a tourist railroad, not a museum. They are not bound by authenticity or historic preservation.

Here's a crazy idea that just might work: repaint it in the NYC lightning stripe style, but instead of using black and gray, use green and gold, or maroon and gold. That way you'd be giving a nod to the unit's past while using the local railroad's colors. I think it would look killer.
 #1028933  by steamer69

#1751 was born as a C&O, then B&O unit.

To Cosmo,
I'm only a staunch preservationist when someone comes up with something asinine as Frankinengine. Spending money to prove a point at the expense of the rest of the equipment is in no way shape or form preservation either. And in terms of painting the #1751....at least they are fixing it. If it has to stay in NYC colors for a while because they are trying to fix it....then so be it. That is a lot more than can be said of #216 and #252 which are still being held together with duck tape and bubble gum. BUT HEY!!!! THEY HAVE A NICE PAINT JOB!
I think that right now, getting their power into a more servicable state is a great way for them to be heading. They have done some good work with "Old Sparkey" to get her from lighting the railroad on fire, so let's wait and see. Between the work on 1751, 573, and the radio work, they have gone in a good direction (through no preasure from this forum and others). I am guardedly optomistic for the time being, and will wait and see how much of this is real, and how much is more the (up till now) standrad CSRX fare. I'm not going to gripe or argue about a paint job, when (IMO) it's more important not to be blowing engines and their brake grids up.
 #1028941  by b&m 1566

Anyone happen to see the pictures on the CSRX's facebook page of the 18 wheeler that ended up on the tracks at Crawford's a few weeks ago? Is that stretch of road really that bad during snowy conditions? Last year one of the platforms was taken out by a similar in incident.
 #1028944  by steamer69

That sucker was headed right for the gateway! The top of the notch there can get very bad, and a lot of unsuspecting drivers don't make the curve (especially when it's covered with snow) and head right onto the ROW.
 #1028954  by steamer69

Derby is still cranking away on her. A friend of mine there told me that there was a coolant issue when it came in (hence the footage of it pulling with every door on the long hood open). They are putting in a rebuilt main generator, a traction motor, doing some comutator work, and tracing some of the little electrical gremlins that had been bothering her. She should be ready to go for "on time delivery". When that gets closer I'm sure we will know. They are shooting to have her carded and done ready to move the middle of May, then it's all up to CSRX to get it moved. That is of course baring nothing else being found......
 #1028958  by drvmusic

steamer69 wrote:Derby is still cranking away on her. A friend of mine there told me that there was a coolant issue when it came in (hence the footage of it pulling with every door on the long hood open). They are putting in a rebuilt main generator, a traction motor, doing some comutator work, and tracing some of the little electrical gremlins that had been bothering her. She should be ready to go for "on time delivery". When that gets closer I'm sure we will know. They are shooting to have her carded and done ready to move the middle of May, then it's all up to CSRX to get it moved. That is of course baring nothing else being found......
Thanks! I didn't see the footage you mentioned. Good news to hear she's getting the attention she needs :-)
 #1028995  by steamer69

drvmusic wrote:Thanks! I didn't see the footage you mentioned.
Ask and ye shall recieve. Here it is again, enjoy. You will notice that every door (except for 2) on it are WIDE open to help the little cooling problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5MJi7CGO4U
 #1028998  by scottychaos

drvmusic wrote:

FGLK All Time Roster: http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/FGLK

Scot
 #1029036  by MEC407

I hope CSR doesn't touch the horn -- it sounds great.
 #1029070  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:I am still hopeful for a look like Pan Am GP9 #52....green and yellow.....would look fabulous on her
I agree, but with the "extra" striping that Pan Am left off of thiers. :wink: