Railroad Forums 

• Oversized Reefers on the Union Freight RR (Boston)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#950235  by Tracer

I am reading a book written in the mid seventies and the author keeps referring to "jumbo" sized freight cars. Are these 60 footers or bigger than plate c or something?

I am reading "The railroad that came out at night". It is about the short but interesting Union Freight Railroad which was a street running railroad in Boston, Ma.

Thread Title Edited by a Moderator (clarity of topic), 8-2-2011, 1023AM CDT
 #952644  by umtrr-author

I think "jumbo" is a generic, not specific term. The "Plates" (C,D,F,etc.) were added as freight cars got larger and larger so I think even the specific definition of "jumbo" would probably change over time.

I model 1963 and I think that anything over Plate C would be considered unusually large at that time.
 #952728  by timz

In the 1970s the big auto-parts cars were sure nuff bigger than Plate C. They were ... maybe 85-90 ft over couplers? The stencil usually? always? said 10000 cubic feet.
 #952873  by Sir Ray

For comparison, in the early 1960s Southern introduced the 'Big John' Covered hopper, which was considered a 'Jumbo' freight car at the time at 100tons
(Right click here to open in a new window or tab). These cars led to a lot of discussion about setting rates for rail freight.
The 1960s really saw the definition of 'Jumbo' redefined, as the standard Trailer train flat of 89 foot was developed (and with it the now-common Tri-level auto-racks), the aforementioned 86ft Auto-parts boxcars, 'Pregnant whale' 6-axle tank cars, huge Southern Hogshead Tobbacco boxcars, and so on - in terms of North American rail freight, they did NOT think small in the 1960s...

Edited by a Moderator, 7-19-11 237PM CDT: The link works :)
 #957009  by Tracer

I dont think the author was referring to 89ft cars. He was talking about reefers (sorry, i should have mentioned that). So my only guess is maybe they were 60ft cars. He also talked about a special bar attached between the couplers of the loco and the car to help the car negotiate the tight turns.
 #957221  by John_Perkowski

General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment Forum Moderator's Note:

I am moving this thread to the New England Railfan Forum after discussion with MEC407, one of the Moderators there. We think the question will have a better chance being answered.
 #959155  by jbvb

Given the vintage and clearances of the UFRR, "jumbo" was most likely the 50' mechanical reefers that PFE, ATSF etc. purchased in the 1960s. When the track was built, many shippers used only 36' meat reefers, with the remainder and essentially all produce reefers 40'. I believe the 50' mechanical reefers were also taller.
 #959209  by fogg1703

Don't forget BAR's fleet of 339 "Jumbo Reefers". While not as likely to be on the UFRR as ATSF or PFE, they were frequent visitors to NEP in Chelsea and one could conceive that a shipper on the UFRR could get potatoes or potato products brought in the 63'8" length cars .
 #959423  by Sir Ray

jbvb wrote:Given the vintage and clearances of the UFRR, "jumbo" was most likely the 50' mechanical reefers that PFE, ATSF etc. purchased in the 1960s. When the track was built, many shippers used only 36' meat reefers, with the remainder and essentially all produce reefers 40'. I believe the 50' mechanical reefers were also taller.
Even more likely the reefer was the 57ft ones (think the famous Athearn HO RP-70-20 model) that came out in the early 1960s, and were built in such numbers as to remain were the most common reefers till the 1990s (I even started a thread on this, noting the 50ft sizes were not very common, the railroads & shipping companies jumped to 57ft).
OK, on reflection we both could be right, 57 foot was the Exterior length, and 50-51 foot was the interior length - still, that's quite a jump, from a ~40ft (42ft EL?) produce ice-reefer to a 57ft EL mech reefer - I can see why people of the time thought it Jumbo...