Railroad Forums 

• Lewis Wye in Walpole being rebuilt

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#955491  by Tracer

They finished rebuilding the wye from the franklin main all the way to the bridge over west st. The track beyond the bridge looks like its in tough shape to my untrained eye. They ran a soccer train to gillette stadium about 2 weeks ago but i am not sure if the used the wye.
 #958307  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Tracer wrote:They finished rebuilding the wye from the franklin main all the way to the bridge over west st. The track beyond the bridge looks like its in tough shape to my untrained eye. They ran a soccer train to gillette stadium about 2 weeks ago but i am not sure if the used the wye.
Indeed it did use the wye.
 #958870  by Tom coughlin

charding wrote:Here's a question for all your railroad history buffs - also posted on the MBTA thread. Why is it called the Lewis Wye?
Lewis Wye is named for Lewis Manufacturing, which was the original name of the adjacent industry, later known as Kendall Company.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
 #1450451  by charding

...named after the Lewis Batting Co...predecessor to Kendall Mills...for those of you all who are familiar with Walpole Center, the sites for Kendall Mills and Fales have both just been leveled to make way for mixed use 60-foot buildings...buildings were beyond the cost-effectiveness to repair...businesses on the first floor and condos/aprts on the other stories...proximity to the train station...creates affordable housing for folks who work in Boston...but it sure closes out a chapter on Walpole's industrial past...industries at the sites since the Revolutionary War...