Railroad Forums 

• Wye at Charlton, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#924767  by JohnK

Group:

On the Boston and Albany RR, was there a turning wye at Charlton, MA? If so, can anyone tell me where it was? I cant see evidence of one on satellite views of the area.

Thank you,
-John K.
>
>
 #924831  by stvigi

John,

Are you sure it was in Charlton?
I looked at the UNH DIMOND LIBRARY Documents Department & Data Center Historic USGS Maps of New England & New York web site. Here is the link for the 1892 map ( http://docs.unh.edu/MA/wbst92nw.jpg ) I can only locate the B&A going through w/o splitting.

Hope it helps

Steve
 #924834  by GP40MC1118

There was a wye at Charlton. It was on the northside of the mainline, just east of the current interlocking.

D
 #924919  by jaymac

JohnK-
Assuming you were Gearthing, check just N of the short stretch of what seems like new ties at 42deg 10min 27.15 sec N/71deg 58min 51.43sec W. There appears to be a slight ghost of where the wye would have been, preserved -- maybe -- by rubber-tired traffic. In that immediate area, the elevation to the north seems relatively constant, and the stub environs of the wye would be obscured by six decades +/- of tree growth.
 #925057  by edbear

In Robert Willougby Jones' B & A books, Volume 2, page 160, there's a photo of 2-8-2 #1219 on the wye. There's a good sized hill behind it with a concrete retaining wall, cleared field and barn up near top of hill.
 #929591  by JohnK

Thanks for the replies. The maps (linked above) did it! The wye was right near Charlton Depot, although looking at Satellite images + aerial views, it's always been real hard for me to see any trace of it. Now that I see where it is, it jumps right out at me (sort of).

I presume this wye was for "helpers" to return to West Springfield?

Thank you all.

-John
 #929801  by dcm74

JohnK wrote:Thanks for the replies. The maps (linked above) did it! The wye was right near Charlton Depot, although looking at Satellite images + aerial views, it's always been real hard for me to see any trace of it. Now that I see where it is, it jumps right out at me (sort of).

I presume this wye was for "helpers" to return to West Springfield?

Thank you all.

-John
Actually the helpers were returning to Worcester.
 #1230133  by CarterB

If you look at http://www.historicaerials.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the 1938 aerial view, you can clearly see the wye,
and if you use the (compare/slide) feature can relate it to today.
 #1547609  by MrB

Thanks to Charlton having a twitter feed, their historical society posted a picture of the wye at Charlton Depot.
Attachments:
Charlton 11.jpg
Charlton 11.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1635 times