• Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum (BSRM) Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

• 249 posts
  by steamer69

HRRC does own the track though, and can use them as they see fit. It's not like the state has any claim to that ROW. It does suck for Berkshire though......I really hope that the HRRC with "De-Fink" and see the benefit of Berkshire. Not a good way to "make nice" with the comunity
  by Jeff Smith

CT owns about 34 miles between New Milford and State Line and gives overhead rights to HRRC, but that doesn't really help leverage-wise where MA is concerned.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... ils2x3.pdf
  by Otto Vondrak

steamer69 wrote:It may be time to de-aquisition a few things.....as much as that may stink.
Just curious why you think thinning out the fleet will help the museum's survival? Maybe I'm not following through...
  by Otto Vondrak

theseaandalifesaver wrote:If I didn't plan on riding a train, would the BSRM be worth checking out? I guess the real question is, is it worth the trip from Boston? How far is the location from The Hoosac?
The museum grounds will open, with or without train rides. The web site also contains some details about the exhibits present.

http://www.berkshirescenicrailroad.org/aboutus.php

Hoosac Tunnel? Are you sure you didn't mean State Line Tunnel on the B&A?

-otto-
  by theseaandalifesaver

The only area I'm familiar with in the North-west part of the state is where the west portal of the Hoosac is located. So I was just curious how far it was from there.
Last edited by theseaandalifesaver on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Otto Vondrak

Not trying to discourage you from visiting Hoosac, but if you're going out to visit BSRM, you might want to consider a side-trip to State Line Tunnel, since it's only about 15 miles away.

-otto-
  by Ale Rider1

It has been a long time since I checked in on the Housatonic - maybe ten years? What happened? They seemed to be doing decent business then, and seemed to be well regarded amongst the 'fan' community ( I know that really means nothing) . I recall them even submitting with CDOT to operate the Griffin Line - when that was being rebuilt.

What would happen to the line if the Housatonic ultimately failed? Abandonment? Take over by another RR? - The P&W would make sense....

AR1
  by Dick H

If the HRRC did go under, not just some bankruptcy while reorganizing,
MA and CT probably would work to get a new operator. However, with
two states involved, it might take a while and a long shutdown of service
probably would decimate the remaining shippers. As was mentioned, the
P&W would likely be interested. Mr. Billiveau of the CNZR might be
interested if it was a "designated operator" situation. The CNZR has
operated a few passenger specials on the "Griffin Line" and the P&W
operates a number of passenger specials every year, so they probably
would be open to an agreement with the BSRM to operate on the line.
  by chrisnewhaven

All in favor of a P&W takeover, please raise your hand (raises hand) ;)
Could be a good idea, but an even better one would be for HRR to get better management. Just my opinion based on what I've read.
C.J.V.
  by steamer69

Otto Vondrak wrote:
steamer69 wrote:It may be time to de-aquisition a few things.....as much as that may stink.
Just curious why you think thinning out the fleet will help the museum's survival? Maybe I'm not following through...
Well, it seems to me that they just lost the vast majority of their income, so I was just thinking out loud that for the survival of the museum maybe some of the redundant collection could possibly be de-aquisitioned for the betterment of the cause.
  by JRG

Let me be clear:

BSRM has no intention of de-acquisitioning any of its equipment for the purpose of staying afloat.

BSRM survived from 1990-2003 without main line train rides and it will survive this as well. What this will do is hamper BSRM's ability to develop and expand pursuant to its Master Development Plan (available on our webpage) and thus increase its positive impact on the local tourist economy.

BSRM HAS NOT BEEN the subject of any safety violations. That is public information available with the FRA. That comment was made by an unidentified (at least publicly unidentified) source off the record in an underhanded effort to discredit BSRM.

Housatonic has made the decision to not negotiate the renewal of the operating easement with the Commonwealth despite the support of MassDOT and our elected officials and prior significant public investment while simultaneously seeking additional and much larger public investment.

Thank you for all of your support thus far. We hope this issue will remain a robust topic of conversation.
  by steamer69

Thanks JRG! I hope that you all have better luck soon. We are pulling for you. I was down and saw you guys a couple years ago, and was very impressed. Keep up the good work.

I'm still at a loss as to why they would not want an agreement when it's a gimme for free track work. Is that line really that busy with freight now? I'm smelling a lot of Finkiness in this....some old habits die hard......
  by frrc

steamer69 wrote:Thanks JRG! I hope that you all have better luck soon. We are pulling for you. I was down and saw you guys a couple years ago, and was very impressed. Keep up the good work.

I'm still at a loss as to why they would not want an agreement when it's a gimme for free track work. Is that line really that busy with freight now? I'm smelling a lot of Finkiness in this....some old habits die hard......
re: Fininess

Consider Colin Pease who works for the Housatonic, used to work for Guilford....
  by Jeff Smith

thebigham wrote:^Thanks for the update!
^Ditto, and good luck. You have a lot of supporters.