Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1050883  by VALE40

H.F.Malone wrote:I shot some stills of 1647 at CR's Oak Point Yard in Da Broncks; 35mm Kodachromes. It was awaiting further movement to New Haven via CR local freight. Didn't see any LIRR power there (at Oak Point).
Would it ever be possible to digitize those images and post them? Sounds like a great shot!

Also, does anyone know why 40, 97, and 103 have 3 domes whereas 3025 and her sister 1647 only have two? I see the sand dome and the steam dome on the SY class mikados, but what is the third one the 40, 97, and 103 have that the SY's do not?

Thanks!
 #1050924  by H.F.Malone

40, 97 and 103 were designed as shortline and/or logging railroad engines back in the 1920s. They would commonly run 50% of the time in reverse, so they had two sand domes as built--- one for forward running, one for reverse running.

40 was built for the Portland Astoria & Pacific in Oregon, 97 was built as a stock Cooke "Cuban Sugar" engine, 103 was built for the Allison Lumber Co's Sumter & Choctaw RR in northern Alabama.

I suspect the SY engines were usually used, at least when orginally designed, in areas where they were able to be turned on turntables. The SY locos were based on a 1920s ALCo design of a 2-8-2 road engine for one of the Chinese railways.
 #1055171  by VALE40

Does the fireman's side steam chest look a bit odd to anyone else? Perhaps its just me but in one of those photos there appears to be a crack running through the top of the steam chest. Any thoughts or is this normal and the engineer's side looks identical? I can repost a picture from the blog but everyone should be able to find it.
 #1055218  by Cosmo

VALE40 wrote:Does the fireman's side steam chest look a bit odd to anyone else? Perhaps its just me but in one of those photos there appears to be a crack running through the top of the steam chest. Any thoughts or is this normal and the engineer's side looks identical? I can repost a picture from the blog but everyone should be able to find it.
That is the mark left by the casting core-box joint. If it were a crack, the cylinder valve would have 0% structural integrity.
 #1055345  by daylight4449

Here's the picture in case anyone is interested (I should note this is the post iPhoto version, you can't even make out the underside of the engine in the original shot). I had to do some looking before noticed the marking on the steam chest myself... There's also one question that keeps nagging me, but it looks like 3025 is equipped with Baker valve gear. Am I right in that assumption, or am I completely off?
 #1055474  by H.F.Malone

No bell crank, no Baker. No link in a Baker. SYs have links, as do all Walschaerts-equipped engines. Look it up, Dylan, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
 #1055492  by daylight4449

H.F.Malone wrote:No bell crank, no Baker. No link in a Baker. SYs have links, as do all Walschaerts-equipped engines. Look it up, Dylan, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Thanks for the clarification. But I've never heard of troffimov gear... Research time!
 #1056017  by bml1149

Gentlemen,
Another clarification. Walschaert is the type of valve gear, as Howard stated. Troffimov(I don't know how to spell it, either) is the type of drifting valves it has. Instead of a conventional spool type piston valve, this locomotive's valve is made in 2 halves. While working steam, the 2 halves are fully extended within the steam chest and work like a regular spool valve. When the locomotive is drifting(not using steam) the 2 halves come together so the piston pushes the air from one side of the cylinder to the other. This prevents a vacuum from forming in the cylinders while drifting and sucking in cinders and doing damage to the piston and cylinders. It was designed by a Russian engineer.
Leverett Fernald
 #1071488  by exvalley

I'm a former seasonal employee of the Valley Railroad. It was a great job at the time. I was never a railfan, and have moved out of the area, so I haven't stayed current on operations at all. It's interesting to see in this thread what has been happening.

Here are some thoughts I had from my time spent working at the VRR:

1) There are some amazingly dedicated people. More so than anywhere else I have worked. Scores of people have worked at the VRR for low pay or no pay. They do this because they love the history and the equipment. The VRR is very lucky to have those people. When I was there I don't think that those people were recognized enough. Hopefully that has changed. (For the record, I don't consider myself one of those people. For me it was a fun job, but not a passion. I was feel that I was treated fairly.)

2) I was shocked to see that the VRR applied for a TIGER grant. It's not easy for me to say this, especially in light of the passion that people have for the VRR, but the VRR is not a transportation "business". It is a tourist railroad. I have always felt that the VRR lacked "business" leadership. Management has been hired to promote tourism. They have not been hired because they have expertise in developing a transportation business. This is not necessarily a bad thing - tourism is what pays the bills. However, I think the VRR needs to admit what they are, and what their management is best at. If they want to expand into more traditional operations, they need new vision. I recall when they were involved in the short line freight business in Middletown. IIRC, it was not a very successful experiment. If I were the federal employee looking at the VRR's TIGER application, knowing what I know about the VRR, I would have laughed. You can fix the track all you want. Until you get experienced management installed, it is never going to be a viable freight operation. While I don't enjoy saying this, the VRR was the most poorly run operation from a business perspective that I have seen in my professional career.

3) Luck plays too much of a role at the VRR for engine crew promotions. If there was no need for engineers, you would be stuck as a fireman for years and years. But if you were in the right place at the right time, you could be promoted very quickly. This was very rare, but when it happened I felt badly for the people that had put in so many years to get to the same place.

4) I think the train crews need to be reorganized. I think you should have on every crew: a) a person who focuses on operations; b) a person who has knowledge of history; and c) a person who is focused on customer service from a tourism perspective. The VRR is a tourist attraction that is a railroad. Having a train crew comprised solely of railfans is not a good idea. In my experience, many of those individuals did not have a good sense of public relations. It certainly wasn't their primary interest.

5) I've always felt that the grounds needed to be spruced up. When I was there, everything was just so darned dusty from the parking lot. I haven't been there for quite some time, but it seems that this has not changed substantially. When I worked there, there was very little to separate tourists from some dangerous areas. I think it's great that tourists can see work being done on antique equipment. That should not change. Nonetheless, there needs to be some planning on safety and there also needs to be some recognition that certain areas need to look nicer and certain things should be kept away from the public.

6) The VRR has gotten much better at marketing since I was there. The special events have maximized revenue - especially during some otherwise slow times of the year.
 #1088977  by eehiv

I understand that the FVRR installed many ties north of the stop pole at MP 12.7 this summer and moved the stop pole north. Where is the stop pole located now?

EH
 #1089030  by shadyjay

When I was on the NHRHTA trip last month, I asked that question - I didn't get an actual mile but it was just around MP 13. I was the 3rd car back and didn't see MP 13. Apparently the ties for the short extension came from the removal of Track 7 at the north end of the station area at Essex, where 1246/2525/1109/4096/et al were displayed for many years.