Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#896535  by Cosmo

daylight4449 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:That's ok Superwarp,
we'll still be here. In the meantime, bring the whole family down this summer and enjoy the Circus! :smile:
I'm not one for a circus. i want to go to see 3025! :)
3025 should be pulling the Circus Train. It's all part of the 40'th anniversary "Gala Event."
 #896537  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:
we'll still be here. In the meantime, bring the whole family down this summer and enjoy the Circus! :smile:
I'm not one for a circus. i want to go to see 3025! :)
3025 should be pulling the Circus Train. It's all part of the 40'th anniversary "Gala Event."
when will the gala be?
 #896544  by Cosmo

the end of July, last two weekends, 23/24 and 30/31. It'll be up and advertised eventually, but the posters were already printed for the Amherst/Big E show.
 #896559  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:the end of July, last two weekends, 23/24 and 30/31. It'll be up and advertised eventually, but the posters were already printed for the Amherst/Big E show.
and i didn't get one... all i got was a daylight patch and a sign that said you cant get cornered in a roundhouse
 #896562  by Cosmo

LOL! I don't think they were for SALE, they had them UP at the booth to advertise the event. I'm sure they will go up around the area soon. :wink:
 #896573  by superwarp1

I always make at least one trip. With 3025 in July there could be several.
 #902854  by shadyjay

While the actual web site has seen little updates so far (except for a few odds-n-ends).... the new brochure is up:
http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/docs/2011brochure.pdf

The biggest highlight is the return of the VRR-script logo for the first time since the...hmmm... late 1990s? There is also a nice "Day 1" photo of Engine 103, Oliver Jensen, and the conductor in there as well. Also, the schedule shows the return of the 10AM train, but as a Saybrook-only trip on the first weekend of each month. Also odd, the "opening weekend" shows departures including the riverboat, so I guess no "Goodspeed Local" this year.

Regarding the "40 Years" logo, I wish the VRR script logo would be in the "0" and not the EST&R logo. While I understand why it was done this way, its not technically correct since the riverboat has not been running for 40 years. But that's reading WAY too far into it - guess I'm just a sucker for the railroad's proper name in a proper logo.
 #902948  by Otto Vondrak

I love it when a company doesn't understand the value of their logo!

I want to know how I can take this photo and who I have to pay to pull it off?

#902992  by H.F.Malone

"I want to know how I can take this photo and who I have to pay to pull it off?" asked Otto.

It's a morning shot, from a boat. Get a boat, then make sure the train is up to Deep River by about 9-9:30 am. You'll probably have to "charter" the train to do so.... especially on a crisp fall morning like that picture.

The new VRR brochure shows the value of Photoshop, with the boat "posed" along side the #40. Back in the day (1983), in order to get a shot of the boat and train at Deep River, I arranged to have #40 turned to face south (PAL sure was not happy about that) and then climbed to the peak of the DR station roof with my trusty 4x5 Speed Graphic to line up the boat and Gillette's Castle and #40 all in one shot (on 4x5 Ektachrome slide film). You young guys don't know what you missed out on! That pic was used extensively through the 1980s-90s, including posters, etc.
 #903162  by Otto Vondrak

H.F.Malone wrote:It's a morning shot, from a boat. Get a boat, then make sure the train is up to Deep River by about 9-9:30 am. You'll probably have to "charter" the train to do so.... especially on a crisp fall morning like that picture.
I'm hoping charter opportunities like this arise this fall when 3025 is in service... So who wants to pitch in on a boat with me? I may have to volunteer a couple of weekends and make sure that shoreline has been cleared of brush!
 #903304  by ebtmikado

The Deep River public boat launch, next to the railroad's Deep River Landing is less than a quarter mile from where that scene was shot. A rowboat, canoe, kayak, Kayotte or jet ski would be sufficient to get you to this shallow water location.
 #903450  by Otto Vondrak

ebtmikado wrote:The Deep River public boat launch, next to the railroad's Deep River Landing is less than a quarter mile from where that scene was shot. A rowboat, canoe, kayak, Kayotte or jet ski would be sufficient to get you to this shallow water location.
Wouldn't be the first time I railfanned by canoe!
 #903592  by BSRR

Otto Vondrak wrote:
ebtmikado wrote:The Deep River public boat launch, next to the railroad's Deep River Landing is less than a quarter mile from where that scene was shot. A rowboat, canoe, kayak, Kayotte or jet ski would be sufficient to get you to this shallow water location.
Wouldn't be the first time I railfanned by canoe!
I think the jet ski would be more fun.