Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#888728  by Otto Vondrak

Thread for the discussion of Valley Railroad's operations, equipment, and history.

Official Web Site: http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/

Friends of the Valley Railroad: http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/fvrr/index.html

Official Blog: "The Engine House" http://theenginehouse.blogspot.com/
 #889421  by boatsmate

thank you for the responces from last years theard, I find it kind of interesting that they would push teh train all the way back from saybrook and the run around to put heat on the train only to run back around to run to saybrook. but times have changed since I was there back in the early 80's

Capt Bill Former VRR Fireman
 #893419  by superwarp1

I'm guessing work on 97 won't start until 3025 is done and out of the shed? I'm also guessing there won't be a price tag and estimate on time until she gets in the work shed and is torn down?
 #893993  by Mr rt

The Valley is a business ... with 97 down for a while they need 3025 so they have two for the Fall of 2011.
So, they still have some time, but I'm sure you see it on-line RSN ....
 #895806  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:Is the expectation to have 3025 steamed up for the 2011 season?

-otto-
talked to the people from essex yesterday at amherst. the current plan is to have her offical unveiling as "new haven 3025" on july 28 with the circus train. i'm hoping to be there. based on what i was told, 3025 is very close to complete (my guess is that she needs things such as paint, cab, headlight, and the tender needs slight modification to look like a new haven style tender), and chances are it will be kept somewhat under wraps until the circus train so it has a larger response from the community. but i could be wrong and it could be getting the finishing touches as i speak
 #896028  by Otto Vondrak

Tender work is nearly complete, based on the photos in the 2010 thread...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33786891@N02/5295293828/
 #896310  by Cosmo

Yes, the tender is indeed nearly complete, with the exception of a few small appliances.
The boiler has passed ultrasound and hydro, and the driver tires have been turned. The rods have been refurbished and the driver boxes are properly re-Babbitted and machined. The pilot truck is about halfway done, and steelwork on the new cab is about 1/3rd done. A lot of major work is completed, but many smaller projects remain. The best news though, we are well past the 1/2 way mark and into the re-assembly phase. She is now, slowly but surely, beginning to look like a locomotive again.
We fully expect she'll be ready by July, but we hope to have her done a bit sooner. She'll need a shakedown run or two before she goes into service.
There's nothing really "under wraps," no real "state-secrets." The shop doors have been open during good weather, and folks are welcome to come see, when there's someone around. The tender, resplendent in her new paint is sitting right out beside the shop on track 5 for all to see.
Meanwhile, #97 waits for the funding and the materials necessary to renew her are accumulated. This will take time, but it will happen.
The thinking there is to be able to have #97 back up by the time #40 needs to go down for any great length of time.
It will be a fun, busy, and eventful season at the Valley this summer, especially for me,...

...it's official, I'll be starting as a Student Fireman, as well as a deck-hand on the boat! :D
 #896395  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:Yes, the tender is indeed nearly complete, with the exception of a few small appliances.
The boiler has passed ultrasound and hydro, and the driver tires have been turned. The rods have been refurbished and the driver boxes are properly re-Babbitted and machined. The pilot truck is about halfway done, and steelwork on the new cab is about 1/3rd done. A lot of major work is completed, but many smaller projects remain. The best news though, we are well past the 1/2 way mark and into the re-assembly phase. She is now, slowly but surely, beginning to look like a locomotive again.
We fully expect she'll be ready by July, but we hope to have her done a bit sooner. She'll need a shakedown run or two before she goes into service.
There's nothing really "under wraps," no real "state-secrets." The shop doors have been open during good weather, and folks are welcome to come see, when there's someone around. The tender, resplendent in her new paint is sitting right out beside the shop on track 5 for all to see.
Meanwhile, #97 waits for the funding and the materials necessary to renew her are accumulated. This will take time, but it will happen.
The thinking there is to be able to have #97 back up by the time #40 needs to go down for any great length of time.
It will be a fun, busy, and eventful season at the Valley this summer, especially for me,...

...it's official, I'll be starting as a Student Fireman, as well as a deck-hand on the boat! :D
that's some getting around cosmo. by any chance do you think the valley would be hiring within a few years?
 #896428  by Cosmo

daylight4449 wrote: that's some getting around cosmo. by any chance do you think the valley would be hiring within a few years?
There's always a chance. Just stop by on a weekday (or call ahead first) and fill out an application.
Of course, the BEST way to get hired is to work for a while as a volunteer! (That's how I did it. :wink: )
 #896523  by superwarp1

Cosmo wrote:
daylight4449 wrote: that's some getting around cosmo. by any chance do you think the valley would be hiring within a few years?
There's always a chance. Just stop by on a weekday (or call ahead first) and fill out an application.
Of course, the BEST way to get hired is to work for a while as a volunteer! (That's how I did it. :wink: )
Only if I lived closer, I would love to help you guys out in any way I could. Maybe when a few kids get kicked out of the nest I'll have more time.
 #896526  by Cosmo

That's ok Superwarp,
we'll still be here. In the meantime, bring the whole family down this summer and enjoy the Circus! :smile: