Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#40700  by rb

Is the Naugy still delivering lube oil? If so, where is the customer?
 #44298  by Mr rt

"In addition to the above, there also is a 2-foot gauge Thomas that has appeared at Edaville, and I heard it is owned by Edaville as well."

Friday the 13th saw Thomas in front of the station at Waterbury as I passed over it on 84.
There was a crowd there even with the rain.
 #292541  by superwarp1

Essex and Conway have their on threads. Figured I start one for the Naugy.
I've ridden the Naugy once, It's only a hour away from my home so I'll have to kick myself and get down there more.

Anyway how is the Naugy doing? Last I ask(over five years ago) the Naugy was just breaking even. Hopefully things have changed.

The Canadian National/Pacific at Essex is owned by the Naugy correct? I've been told there are plans for her? What are the plans and is anything going to happen in our lifetime?

I remember they have a NH RS-3 and a B&M GP9. Both operational?

#292590  by bwparker1

I rode the Naugy in early July. Here were my impressions...

The power was the NH RS3.

We went past an area where they seem to be in the process of building an indoor storage shed/maintenance building, and I wonder who is funding that operation?

There is other Naugy equipment stored outside, including the B&M GP9 and a newer loco that they acquired from Michigan recently.

As usual, I wondered about how they fund the upkeep of their equipment and this building project.

Attendence on the ride was decent, and the volunteers were great.

Brooks

#292631  by shadyjay

From what I've heard through the grapevine....

The B&M GP-9 needs work and is awaiting the completion of the new shop in Thomaston. Same goes for the NH U25B.

The CP steamer at Essex, #1246, will eventually move over to the Naugatuck. Same goes for (probably) the #103 which the museum also owns, and the rest of the equipment in Saybrook.

This year I am taking Vermont and New Hampshire tourist train rides - next year, I want to try to get down to the Naugy since I've never been there before.

-Jay H.

#292706  by superwarp1

I'm bugging the wife for a Xmas or birthday present for the Engineer for a hour deal. I see on the Naugy website they are sold out for the year. It's my plan to do the Naugy first then the next year do the same in Essex.

Both a great service and a great way to make money I'm sure. Jay let me know when you are going. Would love to meet you.
 #292733  by Zog

This month marks the tenth anniversary of the start up of the railroad and though at times it seems to most volunteers that progress moves at a snails pace an amazing amount has been accomplished over that time period. This year has seen progress on the following projects.

The restoration shop:
The end of 2005 saw the erection of the building and track contruction which reached to about seventy feet from the doors. Due to burecratic red tape which has held up certain regulatory approvals progress slowed over this summer. With the completion of interior plumbing and the receipt of the installation's approval the interior floor will be graded and track construction into the building will begin again. We hope to have the track into the building by the beginning of this winter. Funding for this project has come from withing the RR Museum of New England's (owner of the Naugatuck) membership and through outside donations.

Track:
In 2006 Over 450 brand new ties were installed in the mainline so far. There is one more project scheduled before the end of the year and that is the installation of new switch timbers in one switch at Thomaston. This will finish the tie replacement program for all mainline switches for the forseeable future.

Day Out with Thomas:
In August we ran our fouth Thomas Event. As with the last three events it was a complete sell out and a rousing sucess. Proceeds from the event are the main reason that these major projects can continue to go forward.

Locomotives:
Presently operating are the NH RS-3 # 529 and ex-P&W nee CR U-23B 2203 (The last GE U series locomotive built). The B&M RS-3 #1508 was scheduled to be placed into service this year but it was discovered to have developed a bad traction motor during its transport from Michigan in 2005 so that project is on hold until we can raise the necessary funding to purchase a replacement motor and complete the job. Donations to the RMNE's 1508 fund are welcome. The B&M GP-9 1732 and the NH GE U-25B await completion of the shop for those projects to proceed. Those two units will require major work.

Transfer of historic equipment collection from Old Saybrook:
From late 2005 to Spring 2006 seven freight cars were transported by road to the Naugy. It was hoped to have been able to prep other cars for transport this year but the arson fire of New Haven troop sleeper in May destroyed a large quantity of prep materials that were stored in that car. We hope to be able to start up this project soon.

Engineer for an Hour Program:
The EFH program has been a resounding sucess this year. It has been a complete sell out with over seventy reservations. Reservations for 2007 are already starting to come in.

All this work and progress has been accomplished entirely by volunteers. As with most volunteer organizations most of the time there are not enough people on hand on a regular basis and despite the better financial picture there is never enought money. The RMNE welcomes any one who wishes to volunteer. Though the work is hard it is extremely rewarding to stand back and see what you have accomplished. If you can't give time then donations are always welcome. Your help will go a long way toward preserving and operating the largest collection of New England railroad equipment.
 #292798  by H.F.Malone

Not much to add to my esteemed colleague ZOG's report; his abacus may be missing a few beads, as 9 freight cars were moved from VRR to NAUG in the "freight-train-by-road" project. One car moved in Oct 05, and the rest between Feb 22 and May 10, 2006.

The 2006 Engineer For an Hour program is sold out, even after adding three additional dates in October.

At least one coach is getting a full set (45) of new mahogany windows; a second coach set will probably be done this winter.

Visitor counts are up for this year; the new directional signs installed along I-84 and Rt. 8 last fall have helped considerably. More group tours this year, too.

A revision of the Thomaston display track is planned for Spring 2007, with display signs for the equipment.

A revised website for RMNE (www.rmne.org) has been well-received by visitors; it looks great and gets the information across simply and elegantly.

A number of new members have started training as brakemen, which is the starting point for anyone wanting to be involved with train operation on the NAUG (it's like basic training in the military-- even the officers go through "basic").

Fuel costs are up of course, by about 30-40%. Track ties now are $32 each instead of $27 a year ago (in truckload quantities-240 per load). Spikes-- $120 per keg vs. $75 per.

As ZOG so eloquently states, a look back over ten years shows amazing progress, and that serves as inspiration to accomplish more in the next ten. To you people out there reading this, come on and get involved with RMNE-NAUG--- learn something new, have an new experience, have a chance to get up close and personal with the big iron, put a smile on a kid's face, have the satisfaction of saving a bit of New England history, and meet a bunch of interesting new people, too!!

We have volunteers from southern New Hampshire, from Mass, from NY, from NJ, from right in Thomaston, too. So, don't think you're "too far away". "I don't know anything about that stuff"--- we have some good instructors to take you through the training process. We all have a lot of fun doing this, and it's great to see our visitors enjoying the results.

Brooks, glad you had a good visit with us-- I wish I had known you were coming so we could have met. And Jay, that long-standing invite (and offer of an "adult beverage") still stands. Any of you regular RR.net people are always welcome; when you visit, ask around for ZOG or Mr. Malone and introduce yourselves.

See you all soon!!

#293026  by shadyjay

Personally, I miss the old RMNE web site. It had more information on it including the roster, on-line versions of "Along The Line" and such. Oh well, such is progress.

Mr Malone:
I have not forgotten about your offer. I have a better excuse now - I live in VT. But since I no longer work for the VRR, I have more free time, and am getting out to more tourist rrs. My next time in CT will be in October - I'll try to pay a visit, but no guarentees - spring 07 looks more feasible.

-Jay H.

#293028  by superwarp1

I guess this thread will do over mine :wink: Jay, I'm on the way, when you go down pick me up.

What are the plans for the steamer now at the VRR? Keep up the good work guys, I hope to visit at the end of Oct with the kids.

#293033  by rb

Do they still move the occassional freight car?
 #293043  by H.F.Malone

Occasionally. The Upper Naugatuck Valley is a "post-industrial area", not really conducive to rail freight. But there are some inquiries from time to time.
 #293048  by H.F.Malone

OTTO, Please COMBINE these two threads!!!

Now that that's out of the way---

RMNE's website will eventually get more railfan-type material added (roster list, photos, even some descriptions of locos and cars), but right now, it's more oriented to our "civilian" visitors. You know, the ones that help pay the bills. We will probably run a few Railfan Days in the future, too. After all, we like to look at and photograph the stuff in the various inaccessible and scenic locations along the line.

The movement of our rolling stock from VRR will continue; the steam locomotives will most likely be displayed at Thomaston.

Any more questions? Just ask....

#293057  by superwarp1

Displayed and not restored????
 #293074  by H.F.Malone

OK, here we go....

Restoration of either RMNE steam locomotive is dependant upon at least two things: a decent shop to work in, and enough money to do the job (and not have an unfinished chooch and no money). The first item (the shop facility) is well on the way to being a reality. The second item? We'll see, when the time comes. If anyone wants to jump-start the process, write a mid-six figure check, not counting the decimal point. One that won't bounce, preferably.