Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1034915  by CannaScrews

Some more images in a little more coherent manner.

Top series:
Cab interior prior to rehab - a new speedometer needs to be installed, the old one gave up the ghost.
Engine compartment with the soon to be removed 567C prime mover.
Air brake compartment, a little scraping & painting needed.
Air compressor - good to go.
Short hood - needs paint.
Short hood exterior, sheet metal attention and cleanup.

Second series:
567 cylinders from the replacement prime mover.
567 pistons & connecting rods stored on shop-made stand.
567 head & head removal tool.
Cylinder liner removal tool.
Another shot of the roots blower.
Attachments:
(256.33 KiB) Downloaded 2283 times
(282.07 KiB) Downloaded 2283 times
 #1035664  by shadyjay

Just drove by the Saybrook Yard. Noticed a lot of equipment has left the property since my last visit (which was a year or so ago). What was left that I could see from the road was MEC 411 (the museum car that used to be at Essex), B&M milk car 1910 (the unrestored one that was for years on the Army siding), and the 4601. I did not see PVRR #28 or the NH electric MU - I'm guessing they were both moved to NAUG property. I'm assuming 0401 and 140 are still behind the line of equipment that's still there. The 4601 was spaced out a little bit from other equipment.

Far cry from a few years ago when that place full.
 #1035709  by daylight4449

shadyjay wrote:Just drove by the Saybrook Yard. Noticed a lot of equipment has left the property since my last visit (which was a year or so ago). What was left that I could see from the road was MEC 411 (the museum car that used to be at Essex), B&M milk car 1910 (the unrestored one that was for years on the Army siding), and the 4601. I did not see PVRR #28 or the NH electric MU - I'm guessing they were both moved to NAUG property. I'm assuming 0401 and 140 are still behind the line of equipment that's still there. The 4601 was spaced out a little bit from other equipment.

Far cry from a few years ago when that place full.
0401 is in Chase Yard in Waterbury. On my last visit, it was coupled up to ex-NH 2059 and one of the pullmans. I assume some things have been moved. Anyway, here's a picture I took of 0401 from the train. I took it with my DSi, as I had a significant lack of good cameras at the time.
 #1035850  by TomNelligan

The reference to PC 4601/NH 301 above led me to wonder... is it going to be able to move out on its own wheels? I'm guessing that a couple decades of exposure to the salt air hasn't done it much good and the last time I saw it (a couple years ago) it seemed to be in rough shape, at least cosmetically.
 #1035892  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

TomNelligan wrote:The reference to PC 4601/NH 301 above led me to wonder... is it going to be able to move out on its own wheels? I'm guessing that a couple decades of exposure to the salt air hasn't done it much good and the last time I saw it (a couple years ago) it seemed to be in rough shape, at least cosmetically.
It can once again move on its own wheels. I can't speculate as to how it will leave Saybrook, however.

The 140 is still in Saybrook along with the NH MU car and the remaining SW1.
 #1040820  by Jeff Smith

http://www.postcrescent.com/usatoday/ar ... NTPAGE%7Cs
THOMASTON, Conn. (WTW) — The whirring of an orbital sander resonated off fresh drywall in the Thomaston Train Station on a recent day as volunteer John King of Southington prepared the surface for paint.

Windows, original to the 1881 train station but removed and carefully restored over the winter, are primed and ready for paint in time for the Railroad Museum of New England's season opening in May. Although the projects may seem mundane, they are giant steps for the nonprofit museum that has been working to restore the train station since 1996.

"It was pretty much an eyesore for quite a few years," said Kevin J. Meehan, a volunteer.

"It is a significant train station," he said. "In these situations, once they are abandoned, the place is usually forgotten, demolished and nobody remembers it."

The Thomaston station was last used by commuters in 1958 and for years was either vacant or housed businesses before a fire destroyed the roof and attic in 1994.
Great work, ladies and gents. Let's get a Budd car up there and start passenger service! ;-)
 #1040911  by daylight4449

Jeff Smith wrote:http://www.postcrescent.com/usatoday/ar ... NTPAGE%7Cs
THOMASTON, Conn. (WTW) — The whirring of an orbital sander resonated off fresh drywall in the Thomaston Train Station on a recent day as volunteer John King of Southington prepared the surface for paint.

Windows, original to the 1881 train station but removed and carefully restored over the winter, are primed and ready for paint in time for the Railroad Museum of New England's season opening in May. Although the projects may seem mundane, they are giant steps for the nonprofit museum that has been working to restore the train station since 1996.

"It was pretty much an eyesore for quite a few years," said Kevin J. Meehan, a volunteer.

"It is a significant train station," he said. "In these situations, once they are abandoned, the place is usually forgotten, demolished and nobody remembers it."

The Thomaston station was last used by commuters in 1958 and for years was either vacant or housed businesses before a fire destroyed the roof and attic in 1994.
Great work, ladies and gents. Let's get a Budd car up there and start passenger service! ;-)
Eyesore? I thought they added to the charm. Oh well, can't wait to see them done!
 #1041618  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:Eyesore? I thought they added to the charm. Oh well, can't wait to see them done!
No, Dylan. "Eyesores" are not charming to anyone. Eyesores are bad. Especially when you are trying to entice the public to visit and ride.

-otto-
 #1041629  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:Eyesore? I thought they added to the charm. Oh well, can't wait to see them done!
No, Dylan. "Eyesores" are not charming to anyone. Eyesores are bad. Especially when you are trying to entice the public to visit and ride.

-otto-
Regardless of personal tastes, I'll agree that if it is meant to try and draw people, then by all means. I'm not the chairman of the board, so I can't make the decessions. That doesn't mean I can't wait to see the redone windows whenever my next visit may be.
 #1041753  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Jeff Smith wrote:Great work, ladies and gents. Let's get a Budd car up there and start passenger service! ;-)

We (The Railroad Museum of New England/ Naugatuck Railroad) currenlty run scenic passenger service using a trio of classic heavyweight coaches and an impressive roster of vintage diesels, including FL9s and RS3s. You can visit rmne.org for further information on our services and collection. Come out and see us!
 #1041859  by Jeff Smith

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:Great work, ladies and gents. Let's get a Budd car up there and start passenger service! ;-)

We (The Railroad Museum of New England/ Naugatuck Railroad) currenlty run scenic passenger service using a trio of classic heavyweight coaches and an impressive roster of vintage diesels, including FL9s and RS3s. You can visit rmne.org for further information on our services and collection. Come out and see us!
Next trip to New York / Stamford, I'll try to work it in! I do know you guys do the scenic service, I was alluding with a wink and some foam to commuter service.
 #1041919  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Jeff Smith wrote:
3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:

Next trip to New York / Stamford, I'll try to work it in! I do know you guys do the scenic service, I was alluding with a wink and some foam to commuter service.
I half way figured that! LOL! If you talk to certain folks in Torrington, they'd be with you on that commuter service. I'd say it's rather unlikely. We do look forward to seeing you though!
 #1044839  by Jeff Smith

A little "cross-promotion" in case you guys want to rent some of your "equipment" to Hollywood!

Railroads in Television Thread recently discussing "Mad Men" and 4400's.