Railroad Forums 

• Rail Related Development in Northern New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1307459  by FLRailFan1

BostonUrbEx wrote:Wait... I just took a brief look at the line from Perry to Eastport (tried to follow it through Easport). They're trying to tell us that they may reactivate a line which has been completely torn apart (and, in some cases, developed upon?) is going to be reactivated? All the way to Calais? Eastport alone looks grim!
I would love to see the old MEC line from Calais to Ellsworth reactivated. Trains are more efficient than trucks...
 #1307578  by Mikejf

I was in Eastport over Labor Day. I could follow the ROW for most of the way, but it is obliterated when you get into Eastport itself. And the chip dumper sat there rusting and growing weeds...
 #1307774  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:NBSR was interested in rebuilding 12.5 miles and lay an additional 16 miles of track to Eastport? That doesn't pass the sniff test.
I believe it and if the price was right (think north of $15,000,000 plus perpetual annual payments) I think the tribe would do it. Irving is too large of a company in that area not to see opportunity from controlling their own deepwater port with rail.
 #1307884  by Cowford

Think north of $15 million to re/build the line in? Way north - try $30 million!

Unfortunately, the value of Eastport's natural depth lies solely in one area, that being marketing/PR fodder. If bulk product ever did start moving through Eastport, it would move in Handy-size vessels... that draw ~30-ft. Big whoop. Eastport has never been, and most likely never will be a strategic deep-water port. It's too far off the grid for just about everything.

A Google-map scan of the port facilities is also telling. It's on an extremely small footprint with no room for significant expansion. Scroll west ~120 miles to Searsport. Not so deep, but deep enough and room to grow. Now scroll east from Eastport about 60 miles and look at Saint John's port complex. Wow!
 #1307963  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:Think north of $15 million to re/build the line in? Way north - try $30 million!
No not for rebuild. Just a one time direct payment to the tribe. This would be in addition to construction costs.
 #1307969  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:Well, if it was considered, the internal conversation probably went like this: "We need options for a second port. How about Eastport? (Crickets.) All right, moving on..."
Agreed. Searsport (and now apparently Bucksport) would seem the better options.
 #1322855  by hh660

There was an article in the Portland Press Herald Monday indicating that the State of Maine is very interested in helping to develop a new frozen food warehouse near the Portland marine Terminal. They want to help interested parties to do the actual project. it would be located on the site of the propane terminal near the Casco Bay Bridge. The State hopes that the propane terminal can move to Rigby within a year which seems to indicate that they want the warehouse project to move along rapidly.
S
 #1332815  by Cowford

An interesting article from the BDN:

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/05/22/t ... f=comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While the article focuses on Cate Street and E. Millinocket, the same is true with many of the state's transportation investments. Millions spent with nothing to show for it.
At the end, the subcommittee concluded that “the state has gone too far in its financial involvement with private business” and that “the people of Maine have a right to expect that decisions involving their tax money will be made on an enlightened, impartial and businesslike basis — nothing less.”

Forty-five years later, those words continue to ring true.
 #1347123  by hh660

In this morning's Portland Press Herald, there was an article about a Chinese company being interested in building freight cars on the old Air Force base in Loring, Maine. The lead individual of the Chinese firm is having a difficult time obtaining a visa that would enable him to investigate the feasibility of the venture.
Apparently, no connection with the one in Massachusetts.
S