Railroad Forums 

• East Brookfield Station Fire

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#946907  by 161pw165

Cadet57 wrote:So federal money to save a pile of burnt bricks. No wonder this country is broke.
Amen, Cadet. Put the DOT money into "real" rail improvement or even, heaven forbid, roads. Sorry to say this, but 99.999999% of the country, possibly even the state of Mass., could not care less about an old, burned out depot. If a group wants to save it - fine. Raise the money and save it, then. But don't ask our soon-to-be "debt defaulted" goverment to contribute.
 #946935  by daylight4449

Cadet57 wrote:So federal money to save a pile of burnt bricks. No wonder this country is broke.
Well, we'll let that one be decided by fate and coming events, and hopefully you guys will come over to see what we get done within the next few years, whether we get the current depot or not.
*edit: I forgot to mention I got clarification on the non-profit paperwork. The first of three parts is finished, so we are an established foundation, but we need to now file 501c(3) status with the state and the IRS.
 #950054  by daylight4449

Today's issue of the Spencer New Leader. Please note we made cover of the paper. We also have had a development, but I can't say much more than that. It's kills me not being able to tell the world of our recent news, but we should be able to spread the word within the next few weeks.
http://www.theheartofmassachusetts.com/ ... .07.08.pdf
 #951148  by Cadet57

161pw165 wrote:Can we have a brief synopsis of your "news"? I don't feel like waiting for your 8MB pdf link to download.....
Nothing worth reporting. Basically, the group is "hoping" CSX will save/donate the exterior stonework in order to rebuild the station at approximately a million dollars elsewhere.
 #951173  by Cosmo

Cadet57 wrote:
161pw165 wrote:Can we have a brief synopsis of your "news"? I don't feel like waiting for your 8MB pdf link to download.....
Nothing worth reporting. Basically, the group is "hoping" CSX will save/donate the exterior stonework in order to rebuild the station at approximately a million dollars elsewhere.
...on land they do not yet own, a distance from the tracks and away from the original location.
 #951175  by Cadet57

Cosmo wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
...on land they do not yet own, a distance from the tracks and away from the original location.
Minor details!

(To some) ;)
 #951177  by Cosmo

Cadet57 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Minor details!

(To some) ;)
*Clap-clap-clap-clap... *
 #951514  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
It's a work in progress. Besides, having a depot next to the tracks with very little room for some sort of display doesn't make a good recipe for a museum. We're not sure where we are going to go yet, but we have some ideas on possible sites near the original depot site. That would serve well, even if the depot can't be saved from demolition, and a replica becomes the last ditch. As for the PDF, there isn't much I can do. Dan did at least hint at it in the article, but until the deal is done, we can't say much more. I think of it as a "we can't confirm or deny" type situation. Regardless, the restoration will take at least $1 million. We know that much. I'm just going to wait until Dan gives me the go-ahead to give more information.
 #951541  by Cadet57

You don't even know if CSX can/will save what little stonework there is to save and you're already planning a museum? Oh brother...
 #952166  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:It's a work in progress.
Yeah you are.
Dan did at least hint at it in the article, but until the deal is done, we can't say much more. I think of it as a "we can't confirm or deny" type situation.
Bull. Either you have news to share, or you don't. I hate it when people post "I know something but can't tell you yet. But after everyone else knows, I'll post it!" If you have info you can't share, then what good is it to tell us that? Just keep your mouth shut. Enough.
 #952219  by Otto Vondrak

Dylan, you're not listening. Saying "I have information but can't tell you yet" does not help advance this thread or your cause. What have you told us? That you can't tell us things? Instead of posting vague/contradictory statements, just post when you're allowed to release the information you have! Then everyone is happy!

K?

-otto-
 #952578  by ThinkNarrow

It seems as if there is an tremendous amount of "Dylan-bashing" going on here. Maybe his project has a very slim chance of success, but unless he pursues his dream, the project has no chance at all. We (and he) should give the whole discussion a rest for a month or two until he has something really substantive to report. If someone signs an agreement, we congratulate him. If not, he quietly shifts his attention to something else, a wiser person for his efforts.

-John
 #952887  by Cadet57

ThinkNarrow wrote:It seems as if there is an tremendous amount of "Dylan-bashing" going on here. Maybe his project has a very slim chance of success, but unless he pursues his dream, the project has no chance at all. We (and he) should give the whole discussion a rest for a month or two until he has something really substantive to report. If someone signs an agreement, we congratulate him. If not, he quietly shifts his attention to something else, a wiser person for his efforts.

-John
Nothing wrong with pursuing a dream. Everything wrong with spamming a forum with useless, vague and contradictory, and off topic posts over and over again. Not just here but in multiple threads. THAT is the issue here.
 #972219  by daylight4449

Well, considering this is recent, work has been done on a youth group to be operated as part of the depot foundation.

Quote from the depot website:
"We have work available for all ages and encourage the younger generation to get involved. There is a special membership for school-age kids organized by school-aged kids."

Because CSX is moving slowly at the moment (they have a railroad to run, what are we supposed to expect?), we've decided to get ready to launch that group. Drafts for paperwork that the group will need, like permission to transport. The drafts need to be gone over so final copies can be prepared. I've also prepared a proposed logo for the youth group, and Dan was sent that along with the paper drafts. Sadly, we have yet to receive further information on "the development", as it is not a priority for CSX's legal department, so as a result, we're not sure how much longer we'll be waiting for more information.

Anywho, I'll be getting my flak jacket now and heading to my bunker now.

-Dylan M. Lambert