Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#899091  by Otto Vondrak

161pw165 wrote:Maybe the article's author was mistakenly referring to past years when the Scenic used the Housatonic's RS-3 on their excursions?
I think yes.
CannaScrews wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Housatonic hasn't run a passenger train since at least 1989... So now they are taking credit for the Berkshire Scenic's operation??

Perhaps, the explanation is that The Berkshire operates under Housatonic Rules, therefore, the HRR is responsible for the operation of the trains.

Maybe too confusing for the "Civilians".
Not the same as operating the trains themselves, as the writer stated.
 #900592  by Jeff Smith

Another article: http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/F ... 013311.php
The project would take about three years to complete, and Pease estimates it would cost about $200 million.

The railroad company already has a rail line through the corridor that is used for freight service. It would have to be upgraded for passengers.

Pease said the rail company would finance a portion of the project and would also be seeking state and federal dollars.

While Pease knows public money is difficult to come by these days, he believes the increased ridership on the Danbury Branch line that would result from expansion would more than pay for the debt service on any state bonding required.

State Rep. David Scribner, R-Brookfield, a ranking member of the legislature's transportation committee, said the argument Pease makes is a reasonable one.

"It's a logical assessment of what could happen. That doesn't necessarily mean it will, but logically any volume north of Danbury would be built on and use the existing track south of Danbury," he said.

The lawmaker added he believes there may be support on the state level for a partnership with a private railroad to provide passenger service.

"Everywhere I go (in the district) I hear people talking about expanding rail service north," he said. "A lot of people are excited about it."
 #900818  by Ridgefielder

Perhaps the state motto should be changed to "Connecticut: Land of the Never-Ending Study" :-D

Why would they need an environmental-impact survey for passenger service from Danbury to Pittsfield? The line is already in service.
 #900838  by Jeff Smith

They probably mean an EA; similar to what was done for NHHS. It's a much less stringent study. The difference may also be a lack of passenger service; there's already Amtrak running on the NHHS.
 #920502  by Greg Moore

Wow. I'm surprised I haven't found this thread before.

As a person who grew up along this line (in the Falls Village Depot) and whose father's house still overlooks the line, as much as I look forward to someday taking the train to visit him, I think it might be quicker, easier and cheaper if he moves someplace else. :-)

My admittedly cynical belief is that Mr. Hanlon is looking to get whatever state funds he can get, make upgrades, run the passenger trains for the minimum amount of time he can, then turn around and say, "Thanks for the upgrades, but it just didn't work out."

Oh and Mr. Norman, Hotchkiss has been co-ed for as long as I can remember (and well before I applied) which would mean at least 30 years or so.
 #920565  by Gilbert B Norman

Greg Moore wrote:Oh and Mr. Norman, Hotchkiss has been co-ed for as long as I can remember (and well before I applied) which would mean at least 30 years or so.
Not sure at this time, Messrs. Moore and Ridgefielder, what route I'll be using, but we know I will not be alighting from 144 @ Woodrow (that's South Kent in NeewHavenRRese) and walking up Spooner Hill to Reunion. Obviously if I fly into KHPN, it will be I-684 to NY22 thence NY55.

Otherwise, I'll be staying at Cornwall Inn where we will have our Class Dinner Friday - and for Saturday, a classmate, a Prefect no less, has offered to give me a ride to and from School (I can't drive at night) for the Alumni Dinner and our presentation that 'we" have survived (three of my class I know of - one in 'Nam - have not) fifty years out in the world.
 #928321  by Jeff Smith

Meeting will be Wednesday (5/4) at 7:30 p.m. in the second-floor conference room at Town Hall.

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/default/articl ... z1LIbA6tiV
Rail passenger service improvements for the greater Danbury area, extension of the Danbury branch of Metro North to New Milford, potential New Milford railroad station sites, proposed Housatonic Railroad passenger service from Danbury to Pittsfield, Mass.
 #929237  by Jeff Smith

Update on the meeting: http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/ ... 368053.php
Housatonic Railroad representatives John Hanlon and Colin Pease presented an overview of their research and plans for revamping the line from Springfield, Mass., through New Milford to Danbury and to Southeast N.Y.

They see New Milford as the central "hub" for a passenger service line, with changes of car style there to double-decker cars going north to Springfield and compatible commuter cars to those traveling from Southeast to Grand Central Station departing from New Milford traveling south.

"For long-distance travelers riding along the Housatonic River, double-decker cars would be desirable," Pease said, "and capacity is always an issue as you get closer to Grand Central Station."
 #929250  by DutchRailnut

wow, one representative of CDOT, I can see where this is going ..................................................................
 #929267  by Ridgefielder

Jeff Smith wrote:Update on the meeting: http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/ ... 368053.php
Housatonic Railroad representatives John Hanlon and Colin Pease presented an overview of their research and plans for revamping the line from Springfield, Mass., through New Milford to Danbury and to Southeast N.Y.

They see New Milford as the central "hub" for a passenger service line, with changes of car style there to double-decker cars going north to Springfield and compatible commuter cars to those traveling from Southeast to Grand Central Station departing from New Milford traveling south.

"For long-distance travelers riding along the Housatonic River, double-decker cars would be desirable," Pease said, "and capacity is always an issue as you get closer to Grand Central Station."
Springfield?? Is that a typo for Pittsfield, or are they suggesting service over CSX?
 #964231  by Jeff Smith

The latest developments:

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_18744181

I go back and forth between excitement and skepticism here, but think this is well worth pursuing.
The study also concluded the rail service would bring 610 long-term jobs to the Massachusetts and Connecticut, including 425 locally. A three-year construction window could also bring as many as 730 jobs.

Federal tax revenue, the study suggests, would increase by $55 million, while Massachusetts and Connecticut state and local tax revenue would increase by $28 million and $22 million, respectively. There were also estimates of increases in property values near train stations and decreases in road maintenance costs and carbon dioxide emissions.

Housatonic Railroad estimates it will cost $200 million to upgrade rail lines and stations, construct new facilities and purchase rolling stock.
 #964463  by DutchRailnut

It taxpayer has to provide for the 200 Million and the jobs are just estimates its not development, its called welfare.
so far all the numbers are "pie in the sky".
 #964583  by MEC407

In today's The Register Citizen:
The Register Citizen wrote:KENT—Only encouraging words were heard Tuesday when a long-awaited report on the viability of passenger service on the Housatonic Railroad from Danbury to Pittsfield, Mass., was unveiled in Kent.

Two parts of the study were discussed: ridership potential and the economic impact on the region if a $200 million upgrade of the 90-mile rail system were to be undertaken.
Read more at: http://www.registercitizen.com/articles ... 698597.txt
 #964584  by MEC407

The Register Citizen wrote:A combination of public/private investment could create the service, which would require little or no operating subsidy, according to company officials...
Wow. That's a pretty strong statement.

All I'll say is, good luck!