Railroad Forums 

• Maine Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1521995  by ExCon90

Also between Oceanside and Escondido in California and on the RiverLINE between Camden and Trenton. It essentially depends on whether the freight customers can live with cars being pulled and placed only during midnight hours.
 #1522024  by gokeefe

"Temporal separation" is not an option in Portland. You can't mix heavy rail passenger trains with light rail.
 #1522027  by b&m 1566

I would like to think that an RDC or two would be sufficient? Heck if the state is really serious, they can purchase a derelict RDC, strip the thing completely down to its barebones and rebuild it into a modern, environmentally friendly, self powered rail car.
 #1522059  by b&m 1566

I was thinking more traditional clean diesel engines but if Solar technology can work why not. If they strip the car down to just the frame and shell you essentially have a clean slate to work with, obviously you'll still need a 2nd power source for night time and cloudy day operations but if solar works why not go for it. At the end of the day it seems this would be the most logical choice for the state to proceed. Pan Am isn't going to park their trains all day long and can you even have Amtrak on the same tracks with light rail?
 #1522080  by kilroy

No. Amtrak is heavy rail. Heavy rail does not mean freight.
 #1522178  by newpylong

riffian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 pm "I've been told on another forum here that light rail--probably the best option--is not allowable in Portland, ME on this line because freight trains run on it."
"Yes, of course freight and light cannot operate on the same lines.'

Except, they do when separated by times of service, ala San Diego. Freights run at night after light rail operations end.
Of course, and even closer to home for most here - Guilford operated on the trolley tracks in Lowell into the late 80s to serve the mills.
 #1522309  by BandA

daybeers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 pm Like the solar-powered Byron Bay Train in Australia?
Interesting website! Aluminum body cars that are lighter than "Light Rail" cars, built by former WWII aircraft builder in Australia. Similar to RDC. Solar powered seems exciting, except most of the panels are on their building, only a few on the train, and they are connected to the grid which is providing "only renewable energy". Still, they claim to produce net surplus power. Basically it's lithium-ion battery powered, with regenerative braking recovering 25% of the power used during acceleration, operating with only one engine, the other truck having a 1973 Cummins "very clean burning" diesel for emergency use. No mention about whether the train is heated!

Obviously these won't meet FRA standards, so just lease some of the RDC's from VT. And set up a wood-to-synfuel refinery.
 #1524443  by gokeefe

I find it interesting that passenger rail has now become the yardstick by which success is measured ... "How times change" ...
 #1524449  by b&m 1566

Where is this data that they talk about but never reference?
 #1524461  by daybeers

From Concord Coach Lines? It's a private company, so we just have to believe their numbers...if that's what you're talking about. It's great more people are taking the bus (in some ways, especially with the old GE engines, the buses have a lower carbon footprint), but bad for the Downeaster.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1524497  by riffian

Note in photo caption - the bus is going directly to South station in Boston. It would appear that there is enough bus to train traffic to warrant this service.