Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1443640  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

malbojah wrote:There's a truck about to unload a bunch of new ties @ UCRTS. should be there around 230pm

Hope they are delivering a big shipment as it's going to take a lot to get this Otis Spur in shape along with some brush clearing as well.
Attachments:
Beginning of Otis Spur in North Falmouth 9/12/17
Beginning of Otis Spur in North Falmouth 9/12/17
DSCF1934.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
New RR Ties arriving in North Falmouth 9/12/17
New RR Ties arriving in North Falmouth 9/12/17
DSCF1932.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
 #1443662  by malbojah

Looked like the stack in your second picture tossed along the northern track at the TS. There are a LOT of trees growing up in the tracks at the station now. I'm still being told next Tuesday. I told them I'll be there (loaded with 15 tons) @ 515am.
 #1443723  by F-line to Dudley via Park

From MC's Facebook page, test run to Otis Transfer yesterday with Cavossa officials to verify that the rails are still operable. Very overgrown as the pic shows, but they're bringing in the cavalry to clear it out and start tie replacement from the transfer building on out through the spur.

#1443744  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

malbojah wrote:Looked like the stack in your second picture tossed along the northern track at the TS. There are a LOT of trees growing up in the tracks at the station now. I'm still being told next Tuesday. I told them I'll be there (loaded with 15 tons) @ 515am.
Ties were stacked by the Bike path parking lot / double track section in North Falmouth right before the crossing to the Otis spur. Looking to get a photo of the first train out of UCRTS, any ideas on how to find out it's departure time ? If not I can hear the train when it is underway and try catch it along the line somewhere.
 #1443755  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:From MC's Facebook page, test run to Otis Transfer yesterday with Cavossa officials to verify that the rails are still operable. Very overgrown as the pic shows, but they're bringing in the cavalry to clear it out and start tie replacement from the transfer building on out through the spur.

Walked part of the Otis spur today lot's of brush & Tie work to do as you can see.
Attachments:
Otis rail spur heading out to the UCRTS facility taken from Rte 151 overpass 9/13/17
Otis rail spur heading out to the UCRTS facility taken from Rte 151 overpass 9/13/17
DSCF1940.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2921 times
Otis Spur about a mile from North Falmouth / Rte 151 overpass 9/13/17
Otis Spur about a mile from North Falmouth / Rte 151 overpass 9/13/17
DSCF1941.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2925 times
 #1443824  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Short news blurb on the reactivation of the Fall River Branch to the state line, throwing out the encroachers, and NIMBY hysteria therein. Includes pics of current ROW conditions at the Mt. Hope Ave. crossing. Apparently there was a community meeting/bitchfest about this last Thursday, though none of the papers reported on it (probably because nothing that was screamed there makes any difference in the world to the work proceeding). Apparently not all the funding has been completely lined up, but if they're already kicking out abutters and starting the brush-clearing they must be close enough to securing last funding bits to proceed full-speed ahead.

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/20170906 ... inactivity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“They are upgrading the track from the State Pier to the Tiverton line,” [Rep. Alan Silvia] said. “It is for freight only. We are looking at only one or two trains a week, right now. It will limit the number of trucks that have to travel over the city streets to Gold Medal Bakery.”

The tracks, which are owned by the state, run along the banks of Mount Hope Bay. The track owners never surrendered the rights to the land, but over the years people have encroached on the property, Silvia said.

“People put swimming pools against the railroad tracks and used the railroad property as their own,” he said. “That is being straightened out now.”
 #1444094  by CRail

Herald News Interviewee wrote:We just don’t understand why they state would pay so much money so one company can cut jobs.
Cut jobs? Truck drivers maybe? I kind of wish that quote was explained a little or simply not used. Sounds like any other NIMBY case where they'll find any excuse to hide that they really just don't want to move their pools and sheds.
 #1444107  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Well...the new lease of that pier on the tracks across from GM's siding for transload activity TBD ends up creating more net jobs with the reactivation than it displaces. But making that case to the NIMBY's would require disclosing that there's going to be new barge activity in the area inconveniencing homeowners from their pasttime of dumping old tube TV's and window air conditioners off the side of the pier in lieu of paying the city $20 for a bulk pickup sticker. And that would be mayham. :wink:
 #1444174  by Backshophoss

1 covered hopper vs 3-4 bulk trailers that cannot be reloaded,trucking Companies hate empty trailer miles,the covered hopper might have a better
chance of catching a bulk grain(food) load from a location nearby(Like Sam Adams Brewery spent grain to feed cows,chickens,and other livestock)
 #1444301  by malbojah

Don't expect a train out of UCRTS until next week. From what I'm being told, station won't be ready until end of this week. Lots of work was needed to reopen the place