Railroad Forums 

• Newburyport Branch Wakefield

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#681012  by 130MM

kwf wrote:Maybe they'll use those sections to replace a grade crossing somewhere near by.....
That would be the Broadway crossing to be renewed this coming weekend (6/13-14).

DAW
 #681080  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="130MM"][quote="kwf"]Maybe they'll use those sections to replace a grade crossing somewhere near by.....[/quote]

That would be the Broadway crossing to be renewed this coming weekend (6/13-14).

DAW[/quote]

Are you serious?! Source?
 #681149  by #7470

Agh yeah there are two Broadway Crossings. One of the Newburyport Branch and one for the Commuter Rail. My guess is commuter rail. Sorry to make a big fuss over all this
 #681429  by 130MM

#7470 wrote:Agh yeah there are two Broadway Crossings. One of the Newburyport Branch and one for the Commuter Rail. My guess is commuter rail. Sorry to make a big fuss over all this
Nitpicking Alert!

Broadway is only crossed by the West Route Main Line. The other crossing, which the Newburyport crosses, is actually North Ave. Broadway ends at an intersection with North Ave. just west of the Newburyport Branch.

As to the source of my information, I talked to the roadmaster doing the work.

DAW
 #682663  by Madjack

Does anyone remember around 1996 or 97 when Guilford hit a car crossing route one in Peabody on this line. Pushed the car off route one and down into the woods. Someone has to have some photo's of that accident.
 #683623  by NHN503

#7470 wrote:looks like some kind of clamp that goes under the rail to re-enforce it to the ties. The white truck is gone now. I will check again tomorrow for more updates and let you know.

Do they look like a "J"? If so those are rail anchors. They keep ties from sliding. You see em frequently on curves to keep the ties from shifting into the curve.
 #683684  by #7470

Madjack wrote:Does anyone remember around 1996 or 97 when Guilford hit a car crossing route one in Peabody on this line. Pushed the car off route one and down into the woods. Someone has to have some photo's of that accident.
Can anyone give more information about this?
 #838374  by BostonUrbEx

When I first saw this thread I had wondered if the work train brought the materials in, does anyone know?

In previous Google Maps imagery, the switch to the branch appeared to still be intact. The recent update seems to show that the switch is now gone so nothing can even reach the stubby portion of the branch. It's hard to tell. This empty lot where they did the work for the Broadway crossing could have been good for maintenance and project staging or storage, but I guess that idea is gone now?
 #838668  by #7470

Hi yes the switch is still there it is just heavily overgrown which is why it is not visible from google maps. Try using local.live maps. And I think you're right on with this switch being used as a staging area. I remember a few years back when ties and rails were being replaced there was MOW equipment and also a few freight cars filled with supplies. Of course it was all for the Commuter Rail but the Newburyport was used as the staging area.
 #1299187  by BostonUrbEx

2018 Boston Region MPO Transportation Improvement Program

WAKEFIELD- LYNNFIELD- RAIL TRAIL EXTENSION,
FROM THE GALVIN MIDDLE SCHOOL TO
LYNNFIELD/PEABODY T.L.

$ 7,084,000
http://www.ctps.org/Drupal/data/pdf/pla ... Review.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, basically, there's $7mil slated to finally build the rail trail from North Ave in Wakefield to Nichols Ln on the Lynnfield/Peabody town line. The construction is programmed to start in 2018.

It is unclear when a project will connect the trail to the Salem & Lowell at Lt Ross Park in Peabody. Also unclear when (or how) this section of the Old Newburyport Branch and the Old Newburyport Branch east of US-1/I-95 will connect between Lowell St and Lt Ross Park. But it's slowly coming together -- a nice network centered on Peabody/Danvers.