Railroad Forums 

• Restoring the Conway Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#644489  by B&Mguy

Although there's no reason for the CSRR to operate trains south of Conway, I'm sure that line would be a great connection for them to have with the outside world. That's why I was wondering if they'd be in favor of having the line rebuilt. Transporting their equipment over the Mountain Division is probably less than ideal, especially in the winter months. Having a connection from the south would probably be a much better option.
 #644694  by B&Mguy

There is currently a 22 mile gap in the Conway Branch. The NHN ends at the Ossipee pit, and the track is out of service from there until Ossipee Station. From there to about the Conway town line, it's technically abandoned even though the Silver Lake Railroad recently started operating a small tourist train out of Madison. The tracks are still there on the 22 mile segement, but grade crossings have been paved over. The rails are actually in decent shape seeing as they haven't been used in almost 40 years. Restoring service on this corridor might not be an unrealistic challenge since the length is short and the ROW is intact and state owned.
 #644840  by eman577

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Isn't the line south of Conway used by another railroad a few miles down? It's only in bad shape for a few miles, I believe? I remember seeing pictures of Nerail of a train and it was tagged as being just a little further down the line from Conway.

The Silver Lake RR operates about a mile or two from the old Silver Lake station in Madison. Don't know much about it, but it's been open for a couple years now.
 #644923  by NHN503

B&Mguy wrote:There is currently a 22 mile gap in the Conway Branch. The NHN ends at the Ossipee pit, and the track is out of service from there until Ossipee Station. From there to about the Conway town line, it's technically abandoned even though the Silver Lake Railroad recently started operating a small tourist train out of Madison. The tracks are still there on the 22 mile segement, but grade crossings have been paved over. The rails are actually in decent shape seeing as they haven't been used in almost 40 years. Restoring service on this corridor might not be an unrealistic challenge since the length is short and the ROW is intact and state owned.

NHN actually ends at Old Rt 28 at Ossipee Station...But I know what your saying :wink:

And yes the rail on the whole 22 miles that is OOS is really good. It rides really well also. Even in the trackcars that don't have suspension, you barely notice the joints and you glide right along.
 #645046  by Dick H

The NH Northcoast Railroad runs from Ossipee (Milepost 108 - from Boston) to Rollinsford to a connection with Guilford and has rights into Dover. More on the NHN here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Northcoast

Note: The NHN is not as busy with gravel since the completion of the "big dig" in Boston. Much of the cement for that project came from Ossipee Aggreates. Now that the big dig is complete, two GP38s handle trains betwee 12 and 25 cars to Boston up to four days a week. They also service a major propane distribution plant in North Rochester and a gravel distribution facility there.

Dick
 #645067  by Dick H

Here is a listing for the CSRR on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway_Scenic_Railroad

It notes that both the North Conway to Conway line and the Crawford Notch lines are owned by the State of NH. I thought that the line to Conway was owned by the railroad. Anyone have the straight scoop? Thanks..

Dick
 #645070  by B&Mguy

That's good to know that the rails still offer a smooth ride even after all these years. Although if this section of track were reactivated, I'd assume that they'd upgrade all the rail. I also wasn't aware that the NHN actually own up to the former Ossipee station. I know that Pan Am still owns a short length of track in Ossipee, but that must be north of the station. Thanks for that info Ian!

There would also be potential for the NHN to get more business from a cement plant in Madison, and I could be wrong, but I thought there was a business in the Mount Whittier area as well. I have heard that the state is hesitant to offer this corridor to rail trail groups since there is a high likelihood that rail service will return some day. It would seem that in many ways this abandonment may prove to be temporary.

As far as the Conway branch connecting to the MBTA, the tracks would eventually take you to Haverhill, but i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Boston - Ossipee commuter rail to begin. :-)
 #645106  by b&m 1566

B&Mguy wrote:I know that Pan Am still owns a short length of track in Ossipee, but that must be north of the station.

There would also be potential for the NHN to get more business from a cement plant in Madison, and I could be wrong, but I thought there was a business in the Mount Whittier area as well. I have heard that the state is hesitant to offer this corridor to rail trail groups since there is a high likelihood that rail service will return some day. It would seem that in many ways this abandonment may prove to be temporary.
Before we venture to far from the Conway Scenic much of the Conway Branch has been disgusted in is own Thread tiled the Conway Branch or something of that nature... it’s been a while since I posted on it.

BUT I'll make a quick point here since it was brought up.

Yes, there are a few businesses from Ossipee to Conway that could use rail service; a few of them are former B&M customers. Although the B&M abandoned the branch, I believe the state has the line listed as rail banked.
Pan Am sold the remaining mile, two miles in the mid 90's so the state owns it all, except for the NHN portion.
The ROW is already used as a trail but for winter use only. The bridge north of the rte 16 grade crossing (behind the Pizza Barn) has a deck built over the tracks for snow mobiles to cross, I'm not sure if any other bridges are the same.
The likely hood of service returning to the line is good but funding the rehab is what's putting it on hold. With the stimulus bill in route from Washington some of the money may go towards it but I have a feeling (and if NH is smart about it) most of that money will be gobbled up by the commuter extension from Lowell. Even still the stimulus money should free up money that otherwise would not be there to help the Conway Branch.
theseaandalifesaver wrote:Does that mean that it connects with the ROW the Downeaster currently uses?
Yes and to bring this back to a CSRR related topic the Downeaster (if it were ever to happen) would have two possible ways to get to Conway and the CSRR.
1. The Conway Branch at Rollinsford
2. The Mt. Division Line which the Downeaster already operates on... the first mile of it anyways.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #645129  by merrman

Wikipedia, as we all know, is based mostly on user contributions; and as such is only as accurate as
the knowledge of the contributors.

The Conway Scenic RR purchased the ROW, from the Conway/Albany line to Interval, directly from
the Boston & Maine. The state of NH never owned this section of track.

The state does own the Former MEC Mountain Division, which the Conway Scenic operates under a
lease agreement with the state.
 #645207  by Otto Vondrak

B&Mguy wrote:Although there's no reason for the CSRR to operate trains south of Conway, I'm sure that line would be a great connection for them to have with the outside world.
Would it? Spend all that money just to have a once a year move of equipment on or off the railroad?
 #645571  by B&Mguy

Well, it would probably only be worth the investment if the NHN would gain customers on the route as well. We’re only talking about 22 miles of track that has to be upgraded. I’d imagine that reopening the Mountain Division was a much more costly investment. Maybe I’m overlooking something here, but for this section of track to be reopened seems like a good idea to me.