Railroad Forums 

• Fore River Transportation (FRVT) / Braintree Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1032889  by KEN PATRICK

does fore river still need to run-around the outbounds at east braintree? i made an economic case for a western connection so the moves could be progressive and less costly. does fore river wait for csxt at east braintree?
i think the csxt train in holbrook is pulling empty c&d gons. they need to use the y to run-around the empties for champion city where the switch faces south. i'm surprised mwra and fore river put up with 3 day service from csxt. ken patrick
 #1033821  by pharmerphil54

I don't know about the Fore River's operations but CSX has to run around their train in the Braintree yard. If it's plugged with cars they may need to use the mainline to get from the north end back into the south end. Also I believe that B729 runs up there 5 nights a week,Sun-Thur.
 #1034745  by fogg1703

Why would MWRA or Twin River need more than 3 day a week service from CSX? This operation is probably one of the most reliable on CSX's Eastern Mass lines. Couple the fact that FVRT switches them 5 days a week, and Twin River has there own Trackmobile, I would be hard pressed to see if more frequent service would be worth it for either road.
 #1035222  by F-line to Dudley via Park

fogg1703 wrote:Why would MWRA or Twin River need more than 3 day a week service from CSX? This operation is probably one of the most reliable on CSX's Eastern Mass lines. Couple the fact that FVRT switches them 5 days a week, and Twin River has there own Trackmobile, I would be hard pressed to see if more frequent service would be worth it for either road.
CSX folds that into a single run with all locals on the Old Colony main, the Middleboro Secondary, Foxboro, and the MassCoastal interchange. There's enough day-to-day from different places on that run to make it worth their while to go all the way to Braintree for pickup. I could see going less frequently and letting the tankers pile up for a few days if they fetched from Readville, but they get a lot of economy with one daily to scoop up all of Southeast MA.
 #1035239  by boatsmate

twin rivers has enough product for several days if supply is interurpted in the yard. they process (at least they did two years ago) about 10-15 cars day at the plant. depending on the cycle in the plant and whether or not they have a barge or tanker comming in soon.
 #1045050  by joshg1

I drove up and down (East?) Howard St in Quincy today and saw all the tank cars and (snapped) a Fore River engine. I take it from a Railroad.net search that the tank cars are for sludge/fertilizer and a soap factory. Does any rail traffic come or go by sea? And how do all the cars get there- rail, sea, or truck?
 #1045266  by fogg1703

No rail traffic to/from ships. All Quirk vehicles are brought in by truck. The MWRA only ships "finished" fertilizer and no sludge is shipped via rail. The tanks are for Twin River Technology which deals with tallows, fatty acids, etc. to produce all sorts of products.
 #1049426  by fogg1703

At least it was easy access near the old quarries. There is an S cruve right there and it looks like from the photos that is where the derailment occured. An access road also follows the tracks near there. The car in the photos is a Proctor and Gamble car from Twin River Tech.
 #1321246  by boatsmate

I am not sure about the model number (thought it was an R3?) but it was still sitting on a spur just off the engine house in Quincy. it can be seen from the roadway.

If memory serves correct this engine was promised to the Fall River and Old Colony RR museum in Fall River, back in the early 2000's but because of the trucks on the engine it could not be moved over the CSX tracks (before the MBTA owned the line to Middleboro)