Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#50044  by DutchRailnut

the whole donation thing from their website:

A personal request from Stoney Morrell, Chairman of the Board, to all rail fans, rail enthusiast, and those who appreciate the preservation of this outstanding example of technological innovation…. the FLYING YANKEE
Over the past six years you have all witnessed The Flying Yankee being transformed from a derelict sitting in Glen, NH in 1997 to a train that is today nearly two-thirds complete. To reach this point, we have spent nearly $2.5 million dollars in labor and materials. We are now entering the final phases of restoration, but we now need your help NOW to reach the end.
Why has it taken so long and cost so much???

The deterioration of the train was greater than realized at the onset of the project in November 1997. What appeared on the surface, did not reflect the extent of the degradation found as each of the three units was disassembled and evaluated. Three key factors have contributed to the financial challenges the Flying Yankee now faces:

First: The carbon steel beneath the stainless steel exterior of all three cars deteriorated far beyond initial estimates. Without major repairs the train would not be certified and able to run on Amtrak lines – a major objective of the restoration effort and our desire to make the Flying Yankee accessible to rail fans nationwide.
Second: Rebuilding the Winton 201A diesel engine. There were no replacement parts to be found. Critical items such as the pistons and cylinder liners, injectors had to be fabricated starting from scratch. This was far more complex and costly than estimated in 1997 or even as late as 2000. Using the original Winton prime mover has been a major commitment to accurate, historic restoration since the beginning of this project. At a cost of over $250K, it will be the only known locomotive in the world to operate with a Winton 201A diesel engine.
Third: The cost to repair the train’s four unique trucks and two traction motors not only exceeded the initial estimates, but the damage and cost to repair them was 250% greater than anticipated when actual repairs started. These critical items are now estimated at $200K.

What’s left to do and how much will it cost??

$2.3 million dollars is needed NOW! These funds will allow us to repay a previous $800,000 loan and provide an estimated $1.5 million dollars to complete the actual restoration of the Flying Yankee. Of this, funds will be spent on such items as the trucks and traction motors, complete structural repairs on the A and C cars, completion of the rebuild and install of the Winton 201A diesel engine, finishing the installation the new air brake system, the air conditioning system, FRA approved glazing for the cab, acceptance testing, complete documentation of all the repairs and systems and developing and publishing the operating and maintenance manuals.

Would you please consider making a donation to the Flying Yankee Restoration Group (FYRG)? Without your support, we may not be able to complete the restoration of the Flying Yankee. All donations will be applied exclusively to the restoration of the train. The FYRG is a 501-C-(3) non-profit organization and your donation is 100% tax deductible. Please make your donations payable to the Flying Yankee Restoration Group, PO Box 6000, Glen, NH 03838. If you have questions e-mail Paul Giblin at [email protected] or call him at (603) 383-4186 ext. 117.

Our sincerest thanks for all your past support – for without it, we could not have reached this point in the restoration. I am asking for your support again to push us over the top and reach the end.

Stoney Morrell

The Flying Yankee Train, one of only three articulated Streamliners ever built, is

#50056  by onder

This is an important restoration. But man, look at the money!
They are a LONG way from finishing this project. Any
resto plan always seems to take 3x as long and 3x as much
as is originally figured. Look at the brits and their A1
built-from-new steamer, same problem. But both of these
groups seem to be hanging in there. Kudos are in order.
I think you can arrange to see the project if you contact
them in advance. Maybe a visit will encourage people
to leave a donation.

#50307  by b&m 1566

Well I want to thank "NellsChoo" for the info on where to send the money.
It just so happen to be that I was at work today and some people where talking about the Flying Yankee. Correct me if I’m wrong but there where only 3 of these kinds ever built... like the Flying Yankee. I know of one other that began with a Z but for some reason I can not remember the name. Is it true that when the Flying Yankee is up and running again that it will be the only one of its kind in world operating?.... (Understandable if there were only 3 of this kind ever built though). So what happened to the others? Are they still around :-D or did they see the torch? :(
 #50325  by wolfmom69

The earliest "streamliner"was the UP M-10000,that had a different cab and non fluted,painted bodies,than the others.You are thinking of the CB&Q "Zephyr",of which the "Flying Yankee"was very similiar. CB&Q also had 3 more "Zephyrs" and a "power car",(no passenger cars,just the prime mover,engineers compartment,then mail & bagge area).This is the " General Pershing Zephyr" that is preserved at the National Transportation Museum in St. Louis.I am pretty sure that at least one of the other Zephyrs is also preserved(Chicago Museum of Science???). Bud :P

#50339  by NellsChoo

I think I read that if the Yankee is completed, it will be the only streamliner of the type that is in operating condition. Think of its value! Worse yet, think of the insurance you'd have to have on it!!!

:-D

By the way, I got the donation info right off their site. Now, for my next trick... :wink:

#51903  by DutchRailnut

not the flying Yankee, the other two trains were The Minute man and the Mountaineer I believe.

#51915  by MEC407

I just had an amazingly wonderful thought:

When the restoration is finally finished and the Yankee starts touring various parts of New England, perhaps they'll be able to run it at 79 MPH on the sections of the Boston-Portland line that are suitable for that speed. Imagine seeing the Yankee zoom across Scarborough Marsh at 79... talk about a blast from the past! :-D
 #52199  by ThinkNarrow

The B&M 6000 streamliner was known as the Flying Yankee (Boston-Bangor), the Mountaineer (Boston-Bethlehem), the Cheshire (Boston-WhiteRiver), and the Minute Man (Boston-Troy). It was the same equipment in all four cases, but known by different names depending upon its destination. The listing given is roughly in chronological order, except that its use as the Flying Yankee and as the Mountaineer overlapped somewhat. There is an article in the B&M Bulletin someplace that gives the exact dates for each of these services.

-John

#52275  by Highball

:P

As an information point, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy's ( CB & Q ) streamliner, known as the Pioneer Zephyr, is displayed at the Museum of Science and Industry, in Chicago. It was operated from 1934 to 1960. I toured the museum last fall..... very fascinating indeed. There is a tour available for the zephyr itself.

Check this website.... www.msichicago.org/exhibit/zephyr
 #52319  by crij

From what I have heard, the Mark Twain Zephyr is still our there in a railroad salvage yard, I have seen the ad posted.

Only thing I am not sure about is if she is like the Yankee or if she is one of the E8 powered Vista Dome consist.

Rich C.

#52414  by crij

unfortunatly I don't have the ad. Saw it about a year or two ago, on railswap, just went through it and could not find the company.

IIRC, they were in the Mid West, for some reason the area bewteen colorado and New Mexico sounds right.

Sorry,

Rich C.