Railroad Forums 

• Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket Railroads

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1107860  by Reader#108

The train station on Nantucket is now an Antique Store.

I believe it may even be Depot Antiques.....it is right by the

Steamship ferry dock......if you stand on the front porch of the place

you look directly out into the harbor.

Jack Fritch is the propetier
 #1108111  by ebtmikado

"I believe that combine is former ex Edaville, exx B&M and (IIRC) exxx DL&W. It was on display behind the former B&M 1455 locomotive at Edaville. Guess the combine had a wish to be a narrow gauge car being at 2-footer Edaville and now at a former 3-footer "neighborhood" on MV!"

That combine doesn't look like any steel car I've seen on the DL&W. I would guess B&M.

Lee Carlson
 #1108138  by Jack Powell

ebtmikado wrote: That combine doesn't look like any steel car I've seen on the DL&W. I would guess B&M.
Lee Carlson
B&M purchased a batch of DL&W coaches in the early 1940s and converted some of them to combines 3625-3641, as shown in the photo. These were very early steel cars built by Barney & Smith about 1910, and were characterized by completely open platforms (i.e., no crash posts as seen on the somewhat later DL&W "Boonton" coaches, some of which you may be familiar with at the Valley Railroad), prominent diamond-shaped toilet windows (removed during the combine conversion work on the B&M), and transom sash over each pair of windows (later plated over, perhaps also by B&M). "CVRA7" is correct - this particular combine was displayed for years at Edaville behind 1455, along with a coach of the same ex-DL&W origin (B&M 900-925). The Edaville coach wound up at a scrapyard in the Sunapee, New Hampshire area and apparently still exists, in very poor condition (the Edaville enginehouse roof funneled water directly onto one side of it for decades).

B&M purchased numerous second-hand steel commuter cars over the years from many northeastern railroads, as its famous wooden open-platform fleet gradually wore out, before eventually replacing its remaining locomotive-hauled passenger trains with Budd RDCs in the 1950s. I'm not aware that any of these second-hand steel cars still exist, other than the two ex-DL&W examples mentioned above.

However, several of this same series of coaches had been converted to M.U. subscription club cars by the DL&W in the 1930s, with full vestibules, M.U. appuratus, and wicker furniture, and can be prominently seen in photographs of the last runs of the DL&W M.U. fleet about 1984. A couple of these club car variants still exist in New Jersey, heavily vandalized, within the U.R.H.S. collection.
 #1109775  by boatsmate

They do have pictures somewhere, maybe the Vineyard Gazzette archives.. I have seen pics posted on line somewhere... came over by barge and was transported by truck on a sunday morning I think. teh trucks were brought seaperatly and he car put on them when it arrived
 #1289440  by MaineCoonCat

Found this photo taken at (what is now) the Oak Bluffs ferry terminal in some stuff that belonged to my parents.
Oak Bluffs around 1936.jpg