Railroad Forums 

• Montreal - Portland passenger service, past and future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#609421  by sandyriverman

I travel Rt 2 between Gorham, NH and Bethel several times a month in both directions. I have never seen a train in my travels. I am assuming that they must move at night. I stayed at the Town and Country several years ago and heard the horn in the middle of the night. I noticed the other day that some loaded log cars were on the siding near the Rt 2 construction. How much wood is being moved from there?

I would appreciate any info on what kind of freight movements take place and when. The line looks to be in pretty good condition so I am assuming that it is put to some reasonable amount of use.

I am also interested in the Wild River RR, a logging line that ran up the Wild River to Evans Notch from Gilead around 1900 or so or somewhat before. Any info, or leads to same, would be greatly appreciated.
 #644828  by gokeefe

To my immense delight and surprise an article in the Spring 2009 issue of 'Classic Trains', titled "Steam in the Eastern Townships", by Dwight A. Smith has several photographs on pages 42 and 43 of CN #16 & #17 meeting at Island Pond, VT, along with a well written accompanying narrative of what he saw. It will be interesting to see over the next few years if Trainriders Northeast suceeds in reestablishing passenger service on this line.
 #644836  by eman577

What do you mean, IF? Haven't you heard? Passenger service starts this spring between Portland and Montreal!! Just go to the New England RR website: newenglandrailroad.com

Don Adams is going to start service this spring with brand new Colorado Car DMU's.

Of course, this is the same guy who was going to restore service between Portland & St J in 2004, and was also going to
assume control of the BML a couple years back. Two years ago, he stated he had an agreement in place with the SLR, and was finishing up arranging the financing. You oughta meet this guy.
 #644844  by H.F.Malone

"Don Adams"? He talks into his shoe, right? Sounds like his NERR is about as real as: (google Get Smart).
 #645025  by eman577

Mr Adams is an eccentric with big ideas and no money. He has been to every tourist railroad in New England, introducing himself as a railroad owner. He has, in the past, vowed he will restore passenger service on the Mountain Div, the Berlin Sub, The Maine Central from Portland to Waterville, the entire length of B&ML, and many more lines. His website changes whenever he is shown to be full of **it, and then he denies making such statements. As of today, the following positions are posted on the website. Most of them have been open for about 5 years.

Accounting Mngr
Public Relations Mngr
Communications & Signals Mngr
Computer Tech. w/web experience
Conductors
Chief Financial Officer
MOW and Engineering Mngr
Executive Chef
Human Resources Mngr
Food Service Manager
Limousine Chauffeur (experience and references)
Station Masters
Experienced Security Manager
Desiel/Auto Mechanics Manager
Receptionist/Secretary
Experienced Railroad Attorneys

In 2004, he visted the MNG in Portland and told me that he had agreement in place with the
State of Maine, the SLR and the MNG to start operating excursion trains from Portland's India
St stattion, to Montreal, and that his crews would begin shortly to relay the standard gauge
rail from India St to Back Cove Bridge. I found that fact highly interesting since I was an
operating official, and none if us knew anything about it. But, then neither did the chairman
of the board, when I asked.

'Nuf said. I leave the rest to your imagination.
 #645053  by Cosmo

If it came down to it, I doubt the swing bridge would be "rebuilt" for passenger rail traffic.
The last "official" (the distinguished Mr Adams aside,) plan I had heard along those lines was for a NEW bridge over Back Cove to be built.
I'd personally like to see the bridge restored for MNGRR to use, but I'm not holding my breath.
Meantime, the much more practical route of utilizing the currently intact frieght trackage to go North of Portland seems to have been adopted, leaving MNGRR relatively secure on thier current ROW.
Now,...
lets talk N/S Station connector so I can have a 1 seat ride from New London to Montreal!