Railroad Forums 

• Concord and Claremont Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#515951  by NHN503

Regardless....more great 16mm from Bill McClellan!
 #516024  by TomNelligan

b&m 1566 wrote:I though the B&M didn't abandon the line till 1963 or 65?
Shortline entrepreneur Samuel Pinsley purchased the branch from the B&M in 1954 and combined it with the electric Claremont Railway to create the Claremont & Concord, which in its early years was notable as a shortline that operated passenger service (using an ex-B&M gas-electric car). The portion between Concord and Contoocook was abandoned by the C&C in 1958, and Contoocook-Newport was abandoned in 1963.

#516025  by coosvalley

I believe this loco ran on the C&C for one season, and then it was taken out of service for boiler problems, and has never seen service since. This engine is at Steamtown now. I want to say this is summer '61?
I do not think that the B&M owned the tracks by this time, it was the C&C.

#516144  by Rockingham Racer

There's a nice, old caboose roadside in Bradford, I believe it is. I think it's B&M.

#516303  by b&m 1566

There’s also a caboose on display at the south end of Lake Sunapee right on the old ROW. It's too bad the line wasn't open for tourist the view along the lake would have been something (it’s all houses now). I believe there was also a covered bridge on the line just south/east of the lake.
I thought there was a customer in Concord still on the C&C just past the state prison up until the 70's?
Pan Am owns up until mile marker one near Franklin Pearce's house and when room is hard to find Peter will store cars on the C&C. I've counted 10 Cement Québec cars before and no it wasn't the Northern, that track was empty.

#516408  by thebigham

Pan Am has filed to abandon the exC&C tracks in Concord.

The covered bridge in Contoocook still stands. A passenegr car is on display there.

The two covered bridges outside Newport still stand.

Here's a pic of one when it was still in service:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... %20Concord

#516643  by b&m 1566

thebigham wrote:Pan Am has filed to abandon the exC&C tracks in Concord.

The covered bridge in Contoocook still stands. A passenegr car is on display there.

The two covered bridges outside Newport still stand.

Here's a pic of one when it was still in service:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... %20Concord
So does that mean NEGS won't be able to store cars on the tracks? It seems a bit pointless to abandon a small section of track; unless Pan Am still owns the entire branch to the town line, then I can see.
I was not aware the covered bridges were still standing. Are they being protected or left to rot away?

#516730  by thebigham

^I think the two covered bridges are now part of a rail trail.

#516775  by Scooter

^They are. I have ridden that trail many times from Claremont to Newport. The Newport Historical Society is working to ensure the preservation of the bridges.
http://www.newportnhhistory.org/index.p ... =6&group=5

The caboose on display is at Newbury Harbor.

#516921  by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote:
So does that mean NEGS won't be able to store cars on the tracks?
That is correct.

#516982  by b&m 1566

Not that I would think he would do it any ways but what's to stop him or could a fine follow?

#517148  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Not that I would think he would do it any ways but what's to stop him or could a fine follow?
Put 'em on the Northern then :P

#517339  by NHN503

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:Not that I would think he would do it any ways but what's to stop him or could a fine follow?
Put 'em on the Northern then :P
Pretty much I would guess. Storing them on an abandoned track could possibly result in FRA fines, and possibly criminal trespass charges to whom the line is eventually deeded back to.

#517581  by GRSGuy

And I'd bet Big G will remove the rails, which would make it a little difficult to put cars there. Not impossible, just difficult. :wink: